Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-20-2018, 10:06 AM   #1
tubman

Default Odd old transistor ignition setup

I had this thread on the H.A.M.B. and several folks the seemed to think it might be better here, where "Bubba" might see it. I was originally going to send "Bubba" a PM, but with the hassle of setting up an album for some unimportant pictures, I though a regular thread may be better. Plus, there are a lot of guys with a lot of experience and knowledge on here who might know something.

I got the following setup in a box of parts that came along with a '51 Olds Rocket I bought. These two pieces seem to match, and I think they are an early (1960's) transistorized ignition. The coil is very similar to a Mallory "Flashfire" coil except it doesn't have the stylized "M" on it that all of my other "FlashFire"'s do.

Does anybody have one of these and/or knows how they are connected? There are no labels on anything. I have "ohmed out" the terminals on the red heat sink with the transistor. There are between 20 and 120 ohms between the various combinations of those terminals, but I can't make heads or tails out of it. I don't know if I'd run the thing, but I'd sure like to see if it works.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1267.jpg (83.1 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0880.jpg (29.0 KB, 49 views)
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #2
flatheadmurre

Default Re: Odd old transistor ignition setup

It looks like the old mallory transitor ignitions.
I think one model would be T-12-N...making it a 12v neg ground.
Could be an even earlier...but similar looking.
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #3
tubman

The Mallory connection is interesting. As I noted earlier, the coil has to be a modified Mallory "FlashFire". I collect old coils, and for the "FlashFire" series, the 6 volt coils are black, while the 12 volt coils are red. I think I can safely assume that this is 12 volt negative ground, as Mallory wasn't big on supplying aftermarket ignition systems for Rolls Royce, though anything is possible.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #4
rotorwrench

My old 64 T-bird had a transistor ignition. It worked OK till the transistor gave out. I could have replaced the transistor and continued to use it but the reliability is only marginally better than the points & condenser ignition. I use similar transistors in motor reversing units in the helicopters and they last 4 or 5 years before crapping out. My old bird was running good on standard points & condenser when I sold it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #5
cmbrucew

Kerby
Was that after market on the 64 bird? My 63 had points.
Bruce
Old 04-20-2018, 03:21 PM   #6
BUBBAS IGNITION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I had this thread on the H.A.M.B. and several folks the seemed to think it might be better here, where "Bubba" might see it. I was originally going to send "Bubba" a PM, but with the hassle of setting up an album for some unimportant pictures, I though a regular thread may be better. Plus, there are a lot of guys with a lot of experience and knowledge on here who might know something.

I got the following setup in a box of parts that came along with a '51 Olds Rocket I bought. These two pieces seem to match, and I think they are an early (1960's) transistorized ignition. The coil is very similar to a Mallory "Flashfire" coil except it doesn't have the stylized "M" on it that all of my other "FlashFire"'s do.

Does anybody have one of these and/or knows how they are connected? There are no labels on anything. I have "ohmed out" the terminals on the red heat sink with the transistor. There are between 20 and 120 ohms between the various combinations of those terminals, but I can't make heads or tails out of it. I don't know if I'd run the thing, but I'd sure like to see if it works.

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

I have that same unit around here somewhere , i will check and see if i have the papers with it......the coil appears to be a dual primary unit kinda like mallory used once upon a time...
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
rotorwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbrucew View Post
Kerby
Was that after market on the 64 bird? My 63 had points.
Bruce
It was OEM. The box (heat sink) was mounted inside the dash in front of the passenger seat. I don't think Fo-Mo-Co used the system very long. I know I didn't for sure. It was problematic when I bought the car. I got a good price on it due to that. The previous owner had enough messing with it and Ford obsoleted the parts by the time I got it.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #8
tubman

Bubba - That coil is not a dual primary unit, as it has only two primary terminals. I have a 6 volt (black) dual primary coil that is the same shape and size of this that is a dual primary coil, and it has three primary terminals; two on one end and one on the other. I can post a picture if you want to see it.

Thanks for offering to look for the instructions. I don't think I'll ever run this in a vehicle, but I sure would like to see if I can get it running.