Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-19-2019, 05:26 PM   #1
walkerlakeprinter

Default 1929 Coupe metal header cover help

I have a used metal header cover that needs help. Photo one shows how it lines up along the front of the header. The second photo shows the driver's side end and it seems to fit ok. The third photo shows how it is twisted at the passenger end. The fourth photo shows how the lip is above the wood, as contrasted to how it fits ok in the fifth photo.

Where to begin?? The old header did not have the metal cover and the car had a sheet metal roof that was simply bent down in the front to meet the visor. I'm not looking for anything close to fine points.....just wanting to get a roof that will keep the rain out in the rare times we get rain here in the high desert.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Header1.jpg (65.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg Header2.jpg (41.7 KB, 86 views)
File Type: jpg Header5.jpg (55.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Header3.jpg (44.2 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Header4.jpg (50.8 KB, 83 views)
walkerlakeprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:31 PM   #2
Dennis Pereira

Default Re: 1929 Coupe metal header cover help

Not sure what you need but here's a few photos when I was fitting the header cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8131113.jpg (47.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg P8131110.jpg (58.4 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P8131112.jpg (64.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg P8131114.jpg (65.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #3
walkerlakeprinter

Thanks. The photos are helpful. I'm wondering if it is easier to put the header and cover in place before the visor. Right now, I have the visor on but it's no big deal to take it off. I'm guessing it would be easier to mark the places for the screws to attach the visor to the header.
Old 11-19-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Don Turley

Based on my experience, the way that I would assemble all of this is to start by installing the wood header where it belongs along with the rest of the top wood. Then attach the metal header cover, starting at the center, working both the top and bottom edges together. I would not drive the nails all the way in just yet, leaving the nail heads up a little bit so that you can get under them and remove them if necessary. Work towards each end, alternating ends and pulling the edges into position using clamps. I think that you will find that the "twist" in the metal header will disappear by the time you get to the ends because it is somewhat flexible. Once you are satisfied that the metal header cover fits properly, then drive in the nails the rest of the way. After the car is painted, then the roof material is installed, along with the drip moldings and roof moldings. The upholstered visor should be installed last, after you have installed the windshield frame and hinge.
Don Turley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
walkerlakeprinter

Thanks, Don. Very helpful information. Right now, all I have for the top is the header....not even the pieces that go back from there over the doors. I'm wondering if it will be possible to install the header, header cover and the visor without having those two pieces. I can easily remove the carriage bolt and put the other piece in later, but I am just guessing. All I have on Bessie right now is the visor, which is easily removable. See photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bill and Bessie 2019.jpg (20.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 11-20-2019, 08:09 AM   #6
Tinbasher

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Yes get the wood in place and fitted and then fit the metal. To me it looks like it needs a good twist to make it fit. Common for a part like this from it being taken off if it was pryed to get the nails out.
Tinbasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:27 AM   #7
Dave in MD

If the wooden header piece is new, it may need to be shaved some to get the metal header panel to fit correctly. I would get the wood pieces in place before attaching the metal header and the sun visor.
Dave
Dave in MD is offline   Reply With Quote