Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2011, 10:11 AM   #1
Chris Nelson

Default 40 Opera Coupe

I have often heard of the 1940 "Opera" Coupe. Is this differant than the regular 1940 coupe? Or is there a special coupe that carries this designation?
Chris Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: 40 Opera Coupe

The "opera" coupe had a small, fold-down seat on each side panel behind the door. I understand that they were officially "business coupes". The coupes without the fold-down seats had a parcel shelf running from below the window and over the space behind the seat.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Kube

"40cpe" is correct.
Ford did not make an Opera coupe in 1940. The public gave the car with the rear auxiliary seats that name.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
53F100Jeffie

My father in law has an unmolested 40 Coupe with the jump seats. I believe it was used by salesmen back in the forties. His came out of Oklahoma. It's black and was in my wedding, 19 years ago. I will try and get some pictures.

1929 Model A Fordor
1949 Ford F1 Panel Truck
1953 Ford F100 Pickup
2006 Ford F150 XLT Scab 4x4
"I'd rather drive a truck" - Rick Nelson
53F100Jeffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:49 AM   #5
joel

The business coupe did have some differences frome the 5W coupe. the seats are very different and the floor pans are different. The business coupe has a spit back seat like the 2dr sedan and of course the jump seats.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:06 AM   #6
OldDad

Here's a photo.

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/f...pera_Seats.jpg

Floor pan is different indeed. It's odd, but the common terminology was all backwards in the old days. A "business coupe" referred to the package tray version in the common vernacular (here in socal) back when, although this had no relation to the official Ford terminology. I believe the "opera coupe" terminology was derived from Cadillacs of the era, which referred to the fold- down seats used at the opera to put a little upscale shine on their product.
OldDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 06:49 AM   #7
gerrald meacham

good info
gerrald meacham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:03 AM   #8
Terry,OH

Business Coupe, has the opera seats. 5-Window Coupe, has the package shelf.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
HOTROD_WILLIE

Thanks
HOTROD_WILLIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Gumpy

I once owned a standard business coupe...with a split front seat.... thanks for the info.....gump
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:07 AM   #11
Gumpy

Paul Bradley can also explain the differences in the jump seat coupe as opposed to the package tray coupe...they are built into the floors he manufactures!
"I believe God is managing affairs and that He doesn't need any advice from me. With God in Charge, I believe everything will work out for the best in the end. So what is there to worry about". Quote by Henry Ford
Gumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:53 AM   #12
MuskegonFlatheadFan

Bob Drakes catalog explains it pretty well.
Go to page 2 here; http://bobdrake.com/Project_40/40_Sh...er_7-12-11.pdf
MuskegonFlatheadFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:57 PM   #13
Flat Ernie

I thought the term "Opera Coupe" was a GM thing - Buick, I think. We're stuck with it, it seems...I have one!

T5 Tech
Flat Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:45 AM   #14
barryfromvictoria

the correct name is opera seats, not business seats or auxilary seats or jump seats, according to the 40 ford body parts book i bet the partsman in 1940 called them opera seats that fit in O1A-67A standard or O1A-67B deluxe which technically was called a business coupe. i think if you say opera coupe it clears up any confusion as to what kind of coupe you have. if you say business coupe 99% of the people are going to assume you have the one without seats in the back. this must have been noticed by ford because in `41 they simply called them deluxe coupe or deluxe coupe w/ jump seats. in `47 they called the coupe a business coupe and jump seats were not offered. in`49 and up the business coupe had no rear seats at all and was the same body as the club coupe.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfromvictoria View Post
the correct name is opera seats, not business seats or auxilary seats or jump seats, according to the 40 ford body parts book i bet the partsman in 1940 called them opera seats that fit in O1A-67A standard or O1A-67B deluxe which technically was called a business coupe. i think if you say opera coupe it clears up any confusion as to what kind of coupe you have. if you say business coupe 99% of the people are going to assume you have the one without seats in the back. this must have been noticed by ford because in `41 they simply called them deluxe coupe or deluxe coupe w/ jump seats. in `47 they called the coupe a business coupe and jump seats were not offered. in`49 and up the business coupe had no rear seats at all and was the same body as the club coupe.

Barry,
While your reasoning may in fact clear up some confusion for a number of folks, there are those of us (that seek accuracy) that may find (your idea) to in fact add confusion.
The fact remains the 40 coupe with the auxiliary seats was termed a business coupe. Like it or not, ol' Henry owned the place and was able to call them whatever he chose.
Why perpetuate a common misconception?
For years we were taught Pluto was a planet. Now we know that is not true. Do we continue to teach kids that it is simply because they may understand it better?
We have known for decades that Columbus did not in fact discover America. Do we continue to teach our kids that he did because it 'fits' in to the common myths easier?
While the list of examples goes on and on my reasoning remains the same. That is, we know the correct terminology. Call them whatever you choose but given the opportunity, teach correctly please.

With due respect,
Mike

Last edited by Kube; 10-15-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:29 PM   #16
ford38v8

Barry & Mike, I picked up on Barry's reference to the '40 Body Parts book, and am confused as to whether he's saying the book calls the seats Opera or not. Without seeing it, I'm guessing that it does not, but let's hear it from the book? As far as I know, from the Ford sources I've seen, they are Auxiliary seats, and were available as an option on the Ford & Ford DeLuxe Business Coupes. I would think though, that no matter what anyone has read from any source, the Body Parts book would have the last word in listing the official name and part number. This goes back to the same kind of confusion that is fostered by staged photos for such as Owners Reference Books, Newspaper publicity shots, and the like.

Note: I have no idea why this happens... I post a reply and it gets lost in space sometimes. This just happened with this post again. Weird things happen...
Old 10-15-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
Kube

[QUOTE=ford38v8;289531]Barry & Mike, I picked up on Barry's reference to the '40 Body Parts book, and am confused as to whether he's saying the book calls the seats Opera or not. Without seeing it, I'm guessing that it does not, but let's hear it from the book? As far as I know, from the Ford sources I've seen, they are Auxiliary seats, and were available as an option on the Ford & Ford DeLuxe Business Coupes. I would think though, that no matter what anyone has read from any source, the Body Parts book would have the last word in listing the official name and part number. This goes back to the same kind of confusion that is fostered by staged photos for such as Owners Reference Books, Newspaper publicity shots, and the like.

Hi Alan,
As you are acutely aware, what parts books, sales catalogs, etc. may or may not term something has little to do with the 'reality' of things.
Many would be wise to recall that parts books were written for the Ford dealer parts counter man and NOT the public consumption. They (parts books) were written by a group far removed (different) than the advertising department. That department (advertising) placed the terminology on our vehicles. I.E. business coupe, coupe, etc. for public consumption.

Thus, the name given by the advertising company is the one we must accept as the proper name.
The parts book does in fact call for 'opera seats'. On the other hand, the salesman's book calls them 'auxiliary seats'. Call them whatever one would please, the cars are COUPE and BUSINESS COUPE
Old 10-15-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
Lawson Cox

A rose by any other name would smell just as sweet.
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 12:10 AM   #19
Hamtown Al

Finally! A man that knows what he's talking about! Good summary, Lawson.
JMO, Al
Old 10-16-2011, 05:10 AM   #20
barryfromvictoria

kube and ford 38 with all due respect in your own words the last word is the body parts books. i hope this clears up the doubts that you have and can use it in the new `40 ford book. in the FORD MERCURY BODY PARTS LIST JULY 1940 DETROIT MICH. on page 105 it refers to 01A6760014-A SEAT OPERA ASSY. 7 times. in the BODY PARTS CATALOGUE FORD JUNE 1940 WINDSOR ONT. on page 117 refers to 01A670692 HINGE[OPERA SEAT FRONT] 6 TIMES. on page 118 it refers 01A6764986 A TRIM [OPERA SEAT COMPARTMENT REAR] ANOTHER 12 TIMES. the repro BODY PARTS LIST 1939 AND 1940 also refers to opera seats on page 62 and 63. there is NO reference to auxillary seat or jump seat. these were the books that the partsman used in the us and canada in the 1940`s. so it is correct to call them opera seats. i know the 40 dealers album on page 38 refers to them as auxilary seats which is a bit more descriptive for a salesman since both coupes shared the same body from the outside. put it this way an opera seat is an auxilary seat but an auxilary seat could be any extra seat in a sedan delivery or a station wagon.
barryfromvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote