Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-14-2019, 10:00 PM   #21
Tinker

Default Re: Smoke from oil cap?

Blow by. but a hot motor vapes oil of the downdraft?

Geez does anyone run a regular oil vent system. I've never had concern. Christ these motors leak a bit. Nobody freaked out.

Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 10:48 PM   #22
AnthonyG

U r right. Engine runs fine w crankcase venting from rear draft tube. Don’t think anyone takes issue w that. Some just prefer a cleaner underside of the car by not letting the draft tube spray vapor laced w dirty oil underneath while rolling down the road. I have put pcv’s on all my pre pcv cars & noticed they’re a lot cleaner on underside when working on them, JMO.
Old 10-14-2019, 10:59 PM   #23
Tinker

Guess best I can say... from the words of Bruce Lancaster " fords leak oil to protect the underside of the car". Not verbatim.
Old 10-15-2019, 05:43 AM   #24
Ggmac

Glad you got it working as it was . I guess you need to put the pedal to the metal a little more often. I run marvel in my gas , seems to keep everything working nicely.
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:16 AM   #25
A bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Guess best I can say... from the words of Bruce Lancaster " fords leak oil to protect the underside of the car". Not verbatim.
Respectfully sir, without PCV our cities would be uninhabitable. The early day fotos of city blocks show an air quality that prevents seeing much further than a block. I was on the streets in the fifties, slippery when wet was the order of the day. In the late sixties, during rush hour, eyes would burn, the haze was that toxic.

At one time I lived on a busy street. I found black silt on window mouldings and sills, that required attention every few days.

Positive crankcase ventilation saved the day. It made the growth in travel possible. Not to discount paper filters, and electronic fuel injection.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:54 PM   #26
Tinker

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Bones I agree. I'm not saying new technology is bad, certainly not. Just saying if you don't have a pcv and see a drip it's not the end of the world for you or your flathead. Granted 1 in 400,000 cars on the road that you see might be an old flathead today. (yes I made this number up. It's probably 1/1mil on any given day)

But I might as well buy a new car if I want to turn my flathead into a new car....

A vent tube on a 8ba shouldn't be spitting oil. Might be bad rings (blowby).

Last edited by Tinker; 10-17-2019 at 11:36 PM. Reason: spelling...
Old 10-21-2019, 08:42 AM   #27
Bored&Stroked

The design of the crankcase draft system on the 8BA is a lot better than the 59X and earlier style of engines - by a long shot. BUT - many of us don't like to run a stock 8BA oil draft system - due to the location and look of the stock tubes (they are ugly and can be a real pain to install on many modified engine).

The 8BA system should not be spitting out much oil - but it will always drip some (as will any system of this design). Oil vapors have oil in them - this will collect on the inside of any draft tube that exits to the bottom of the engine . . . and it will drip.

The 59X and earlier road-draft systems will drip a lot more oil . . . and given the oil pan vent location, it all runs down the oil pan and can make quite a mess on your garage floor and the underside of your car. If you're running a stock 59x road-draft system, you either learn to live with it (and buy one of those larger oil drip pans made for your garage), or you can decide to modernize and switch over to a PCV. I tend to live with it . . . but I also clean the underside of my engine quite often.

Just some opinions here . . .
B&S
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote