Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-23-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Conaway2

Default Voltage regulator for stock 6 V Positive ground system

For years Ive had the stock generator set to charge at 10 amps. Now that I have installed LED headlight bulbs, I no longer need that constant charging rate. I‘Ve been reading about the Fun Projects voltage regulator, and think it sounds pretty interesting but I’m worried about its ruggedness. There also may be other devices I’m not aware of.

What experiences have you had with newer voltage regulators for a stock Model A generator ?

Thanks -Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
wmws
BANNED

Default Re: Voltage regulator for stock 6 V Positive ground system

I just pushed the third brush all the way up so I have about 2-3 amp output and it seems to keep my battery up without overcharging and loosing water
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
Patrick L.

If the system is working properly then the brush could just be set to lower the charge
Like WMWS said.

Or, Tom Wesenberg makes a good EVR that mounts inside the generator, its bullet-proof.
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
Purdy Swoft

I've run the six volt positive ground Fun Projects voltage regulator with excellent service in our 31 coupe . The six volt unit is said to be adjusted for a maximum charge rate of 15 amps . that is the way that I run it for years. The voltage regulator allows the amperage to cycle from a low amp out put to maximum out put on demand as needed for the horn or headlamps . I run the 12 volt positive ground version regulator on the original generator on our roadster and love it . The 12 volt unit is advertised to be set for an eight amp maximum charge rate . The electrical engineer that make this voltage regulator told me that it would be OK to go ahead and set mine up for a 10 amp maximum charge . He said that the only time that it would charge at maximum rate would be when the lights were used and that would be OK. . I know that eight or ten amps charge rate sounds rather low but it seems to work well with this twelve volt conversion . We once got caught in a storm and had to drive several miles to make it home . The lights were bright enough for us to see how to drive on through the heavy rain . The lights don't dim at idle with this twelve volt conversion like the lights do on six volts .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:36 PM   #5
eagle

I've used the fun projects regulator for quite a few years. Keeps the battery well charged without overcharging it. Also makes running at night with the lights on a no worry situation. I'd recommend it. Just my experience, I'm sure there are other regulators out there which would work just as well.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:13 AM   #6
Purdy Swoft

One of the good things about the Fun Projects voltage regulators is the ease of installation . The Fun Projects regulator installs in place of the cut out and that's about all there is to it . The charge rate is still adjusted by the adjustable third brush in the generator .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 10:39 AM   #7
Tablemaker

What 6v LEDs are you using?
Tablemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:26 PM   #8
Conaway2

I’m using the Logo Lites LED bulbs - very happy with them. Much brighter headlights and current draw is only 1-2 amps.
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 12:54 PM   #9
jhowes

I have the FUN PROJECTS unit on one Model A and Tom W''s. unit one the other. They both seem bulletproof and operate as expected. I wouldn't live without one. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote