Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-30-2019, 07:14 AM   #61
Frank Miller

Default Re: Risk of using old (over 10 years) tires

After the whole car and tire burned up, how could they determine what actually caused it. I think someone saw the date coded on the other tires and figured it was the obvious reason. I had a tire go flat on the highway a few years ago on my dads Lincoln. No indication as to why. It was the rear and we got it fixed in short order. Sometimes blowouts just happen. Notice how no one is ever alarmed at all the truck recaps on the highway. Aside from if two fail on the same axle and cause a crash, the road debris itself is a hazard that should make them illegal. I'll admit that's a stretch but I think 10 year old tires have about the same or less fail rate.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:00 AM   #62
mrtexas

Just bought another collecter car. Tires were 07 and 11. Bought a new set of tires. Cheap insurance.
Old 08-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #63
tubman

This thread is a good example of an underlying factor I have been sensing here (and on other boards). Some of us have more money than others. At this point in my life, the last thing I can afford is a $1000 set of tires to replace a set that has been kept properly inflated, checked, and stored inside 98% of the time just because they are 10 years old. It seems a lot of you can. That's fine, if it makes you feel better. I'm happy for you.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 01:15 PM   #64
deuce_roadster

I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. Most of my cars I got in the 70s as ones too bad or incomplete for others to attempt to save. I had to hammer weld 10" all the way around my avatar roadster body (top and bottom frame lips rusted off), my wagon was missing half the wood. (I recently sold 3 old cars 40 convertible, 40 COE, 65 Chevelle,to buy a bucket list car, 57 vette project) I learned to do body/paint/mechanical work because I (still) cant afford to pay someone to do it, especially since I am retired.
Anyway, what keeps me from scrimping on tires is that when my son (in a 56 brand X pickup we restored together) was T-Boned by an old guy who ran a stop sign, even though it was the old guys fault, the old guy's insurance had the pickup inspected for everything, suspension parts, tire age, all drums were removed and looked for brake issues and on and on. They were trying to find any reason their insurance wouldn't have to pay for the vehicle. IF they had found anything my son's insurance would have had to go to a jury trial to get any settlement. Nobody wants or usually can afford to do that. It is just what happens when lawyers are involved. My son's insurance told him that if they did find anything (they did not) they most likely wouldn't be paying anything either.
So in a worst case scenario, if your old tires causes an injury accident/fatality, you are probably looking at bankruptcy if you own anything, as your insurance would refuse to pay. I don't gamble after seeing first hand what can happen even in a non fault accident.
I know many don't worry about anything like that and I sure hope they don't end up finding out the hard way.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 07:51 PM   #65
paul2748

I don't think any of the guys who are saying "I'll take my chances" realize that it's not just the tire and the damage it can cause to their car, it's the possible loss of life, not just your own but some innocent person or persons in a car next to you or coming the other way that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 08:24 PM   #66
philipswanson

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2748 View Post
I don't think any of the guys who are saying "I'll take my chances" realize that it's not just the tire and the damage it can cause to their car, it's the possible loss of life, not just your own but some innocent person or persons in a car next to you or coming the other way that happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Right on! If you can't afford new tires every 10 years, park it.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:00 PM   #67
mhsprecher

Great thread. Thanks for all the comments.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2019, 09:01 PM   #68
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipswanson View Post
Right on! If you can't afford new tires every 10 years, park it.

Or drive it. Know the condition your condition is. Not a great comment.

Nothing means absolute. A 10 yr tire might be as good a new one really.

We all don't want to wreck our cars. You probably are more in tune with our cars then most.

Story for the hell of it, crossing the howard franklin a young lady was driving with no drivers door. Baby in a carset in the back. Odd.

Last edited by Tinker; 08-30-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 03:23 AM   #69
Mart

This thread could very easily lead to a lot of falling out between forum members. We should all make up our minds if our particular rides are safe to a degree we are personally happy with, while considering all the arguments put forward.

My truck and roadster both have tyres in very good condition. Considering the usage, which is normally low speed pottering, with an occasional burst to higher speeds in the roadster, I am happy to continue to use them, despite them being older. They are inspected often and always inflated correctly. It should also be said they are all top quality brands and crossply (bias ply).

I bought a second hand family car this time last year. It had four tyres of mismatched brands. One had a slow puncture, one had age cracking, one was a winter tyre. I Put a brand new set of tyres on that one soon after purchase, and would probably do the same with any other modern car.

So lets not fall out, fellas, as old car enthusiasts we take a lot more care of our cars than most people.

Being aware of the condition and maintaining inflation is something was can all do, regardless of the age of the tyre. Even one fitted only last month may lose pressure due to a nail or faulty valve. So we must all be vigilant.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:50 AM   #70
5851a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart View Post
This thread could very easily lead to a lot of falling out between forum members. We should all make up our minds if our particular rides are safe to a degree we are personally happy with, while considering all the arguments put forward.

My truck and roadster both have tyres in very good condition. Considering the usage, which is normally low speed pottering, with an occasional burst to higher speeds in the roadster, I am happy to continue to use them, despite them being older. They are inspected often and always inflated correctly. It should also be said they are all top quality brands and crossply (bias ply).

I bought a second hand family car this time last year. It had four tyres of mismatched brands. One had a slow puncture, one had age cracking, one was a winter tyre. I Put a brand new set of tyres on that one soon after purchase, and would probably do the same with any other modern car.

So lets not fall out, fellas, as old car enthusiasts we take a lot more care of our cars than most people.

Being aware of the condition and maintaining inflation is something was can all do, regardless of the age of the tyre. Even one fitted only last month may lose pressure due to a nail or faulty valve. So we must all be vigilant.

Mart.
Great post, I like your thinking.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 04:42 AM   #71
aussie merc

dumb is as dumb does Darwin's law should be applied without question
aussie merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 05:25 AM   #72
tubman

And just when "Mart" almost got this thread back on track.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote