Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-09-2015, 12:06 AM   #1
harleynut

Default does this seem a little cheap for an A

Saw this on ebay....31 rumble seat coupe. Sounds to good to be true.
Item 201422184814 Thought coupes were going for a little more than that.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:13 AM   #2
Dave Mellor NJ

Default Re: does this seem a little cheap for an A

OK price but not exceptional.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/201422184814...814%26_rdc%3D1
Dave Mellor NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:35 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

About 6 years ago I was talking with an antique shop owner about an auction near Watertown, S.D. and he said a Model A Coupe sold for over 20,000 and wasn't restored. I don't recall if it ran or not, but the shop owner was shocked that it went that high.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:36 AM   #4
Drive Shaft Dave

Fiberglass fenders look a little droopy. Front bumper looks like 1929.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
Drive Shaft Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
About 6 years ago I was talking with an antique shop owner about an auction near Watertown, S.D. and he said a Model A Coupe sold for over 20,000 and wasn't restored. I don't recall if it ran or not, but the shop owner was shocked that it went that high.
20.000 sounds awfully high to me also for an unrestored car.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:58 AM   #6
harleynut

I saw a few things also, but he did have a whole list of stuff that went into that car. That's not to say I would buy it without checking it out first hand.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:03 AM   #7
Hoogah

$10K (= $14K down under) IS exceptional where I come from. It would be sold in a flash, even with fibreglass mudguards and that wild lookin' fuel delivery pipe!
I reckon a Rodder will step in to buy this, while all the prospective restorers fluff around, dither and prevaricate!
Hoogah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:17 AM   #8
ronn

price is about right-most go in the 8-12k range for a nice driver

depends on work done, such as a 6k engine, etc.

a true #1 car is considerably higher........................
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:19 AM   #9
ronn

I passed on a 29 coupe two weeks ago with a new Shwamms engine

the paint needed to be redone, otherwise car looked sharp-was offered the car for 8k

I bought a rpu off the fella and wasnt in the mkt for a coupe, but he did sell it.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #10
Mitch//pa
BANNED

figure the cost of replacing the fenders with steel and deduct that from the asking price since the seller didnt do that already...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 06:46 AM   #11
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Many people shy away from Fiberglas fenders so it will ultimately affect resale value! Coupes are not high end Model A's but very nice cars. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 07:48 AM   #12
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Personally I think this car is fairly priced for what it is, ...and what the market is.

As mentioned, there are some 'issues' as far as authenticity with this car however, I think based on the present economics of collector car sales prices, it is very much in line. While some may find an $8-$12k Coupe to buy, most of what I have found that are running & driving are more in the 10k-15k range.

The biggest reason I feel they are bringing this is what banks are paying on CDs right now. Anything in the $10k-$25k range is hot because folks are using CDs that have matured and reinvesting that money in a collector car as an investment. Using this car as an example, if someone is to renew a CD for ½% on a 1 year renewal, the return is so insignificant that they buy a collector car to play with it for a year and have some fun. Then they sell it and the selling price will likely equal -or exceed what the CD interest would have paid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
figure the cost of replacing the fenders with steel and deduct that from the asking price since the seller didnt do that already...
In reality, someone will buy this car as-is and drive it like it is. They likely will resell in a few years in the $11,500-$12,000 range. Most folks do not care about battery location or fiberglass fenders. They want to drive something reliable and haul the grandkids.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #13
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
If this car is priced right with fiberglass fenders but you need "real steel" then you might want to look at another car. A lot of people don't mind the fiberglass and asking the seller to deduct for the cost of an alteration that the buyer prefers doesn't make many friends. How do you ask the seller to deduct $$$ without insulting him?
We all like something different. My Model A has all steel, except for some Bondo that I can see. I used to have a Model A roadster that had fiberglass fenders and doors but it looked and drove like a Model A. It was a fun, fun car. I don't need another trophy or a perfect car so it was a good car for me and the guy who bought it from me liked it too. Different strokes, y'know.
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:10 AM   #14
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=BRENT in 10-uh-C;1153524]Personally

The biggest reason I feel they are bringing this is what banks are paying on CDs right now. Anything in the $10k-$25k range is hot because folks are using CDs that have matured and reinvesting that money in a collector car as an investment. Using this car as an example, if someone is to renew a CD for ½% on a 1 year renewal, the return is so insignificant that they buy a collector car to play with it for a year and have some fun. Then they sell it and the selling price will likely equal -or exceed what the CD interest would have paid(Quote)

I agree. Things have gotten pretty one sided with pathetic interest rates being paid on savings. You are being punished by trying to 'save' money. Antique cars are a lot more fun to be into than a CD at the bank. Farm land prices in the Midwest are pretty much in the stupid range for the same reason. Farm near us sold last week for preemo dollars, way way over what it is worth. Bought by a Chicago Investment conglomerate. The same outfit bought a very large farm south of here two years ago.

Sadly, area farmers who wanted to buy these properties were shot out of the saddle before they could begin to bid. Now they are owned by who-knows-who That's the way it goes I guess.

Back to the original post--- buy the BEST antique/collector car you can afford if that is what you are into. And don't look back. Don't worry about what they will be worth five years from now none of us are guaranteed tomorrow. We all know that but seldom think about it.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

okay boys its cool.. everyone has different expectations and desires.. we all know what the cost would be to convert it back to steel if so desired...
oh and most important dont use that kind of plastic battery cutoff switch, especially on this car as fiberglass melts quickly

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 09-09-2015 at 11:35 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #16
Domino

Send a message via AIM to Domino

From what i could see,its a quite reasonable price.
Domino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #17
CWPASADENA

I agree with the others, it also appears to me that the car the car is priced about right.

Personally, I especially like the fuel line.

My opinion,

Chris W.
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:58 PM   #18
hangarb7

It is only a fair price if 1) you go to look at it and it is what he says it is, and 2) you want a car that is far from original. The mixed colors turn me off, and the decision to use those colors, FG fenders, the headlights and the gas line tell me that the person(s) working on this car over the years have 'done their own thing' and not worried about properness..... makes you wonder what else that is not seen has been modified. After looking at a bunch of cars all over the east coast of USA helping a friend look for a decent car, this one is a little overpriced in my mind. But if it runs really well, and you like it, then $10K is reasonable. My 2 cents....

JackD
hangarb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #19
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

If it had whitewalls, I'd buy it in a flash!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Someone else made a comment about the paint scheme......I agree 100%. IMO!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:28 PM   #20
1931 flamingo

Decent price (JMO) for a driver. Many things could be done to "upgrade" for not much money. F/glass fenders are straight.
I just wonder if the red stripe is reflective?

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:33 PM   #21
RUNNERBUN

At any price I would never ever (I repeat never) buy any car without a personal inspection. Photographs can make an ordinary car look very good.
As Hoogah posted in post 7 that car would sell in a flash in Australia. The Australian market is very different to the US.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #22
ronn

here is a tidy one on the local CL-not mine-price point..............

print 1930 Ford Model A Rumble Seat Coupe - $10500 (Coopersburg)

1930 Ford Coupe
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual

For sale, original 1930 Ford rumble seat coupe with 4 cylinder engine and 3 speed transmission. Runs great.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
Old 09-09-2015, 05:15 PM   #23
ed thibodeau

Last week Geo. DeAngelis 29 business coupe sold at auction for just over 8 thou.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:44 PM   #24
holdover

I'll chime in.. It is far from perfect but, say you are looking for one and this one shows up, what are you getting for the price, and I know I'm preaching to the choir here, so bear with me. First and foremost he states rust free, as an old body man that alone is worth some bucks, this is not a fine points judging vehicle but lets look what is there.

Then
"The motor has been completely re-built. It is strong, without any problems. It has less than 10 miles since the total rebuild." My question is who did it, is it someone who we would trust and what would we pay for it 2500-4k?
2. " Tires are almost new." At least $4-600

3. "Re-built generator." Not too hard to do if fields and arm is ok, I give it no extra value for this

4. "Carb has been rebuilt." Not detailed like I would have done it but who knows

5. "The interior is excellent and looks as original. The interior material is in original period mohair." It does look nice and we all know what a new one would cost.

The fuel line can be fixed with a new one from snyders etc. for less than 10.00.

So if the engine was done properly we are looking at about 4K min in things that we would do with engine, interior, tires, and if the interior is real nice a bit more. The paint can be redone and the fenders need to be replaced if you can't live with the fiberglass, if I was close I would go look and bring 9K in cash and hope to buy it for 8. With Brookfield bodies going for 6-7K a rodder should jump on it, if I wanted another coupe i might be in for that 8K (if the engine was done properly and interior outstanding) with me body work is just the time and cost of materials, and being retired time is something I have plenty of. Now with that being said I would also look at the one posted on CL.. Your mileage may/will vary.
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #25
ronn

Last week Geo. DeAngelis 29 business coupe sold at auction for just over 8 thou.

Ed, thank you for that info- I know a dealer was trying to sell it for 16k,
so now we have the "real" price.............. was a nice looking car.
Old 09-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #26
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
here is a tidy one on the local CL-not mine-price point..............

print 1930 Ford Model A Rumble Seat Coupe - $10500 (Coopersburg)

1930 Ford Coupe
fuel: gas
title status: clean
transmission: manual

For sale, original 1930 Ford rumble seat coupe with 4 cylinder engine and 3 speed transmission. Runs great.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers
Nice little Coupe! I'd say that's the way to get into the hobby!
Old 09-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #27
stillwater

one in my area recently went for $3000. unrestored, at an auction. Thought that was a decent price considering it was a coupe.
stillwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #28
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillwater View Post
one in my area recently went for $3000. unrestored, at an auction. Thought that was a decent price considering it was a coupe.
stillwater watched a '30 Coupe sell at auction last week in West. Illinois for $3500, and it was an extreme basket case missing many parts. Fenders were trash. No interior. Body pretty rusted. Hadn't been run they said in over 55 years-------------