Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #1
SANTA Ray

Default Power

Please give me some sdvice. I put a new motor in my coupe and it just doesn't have the power I had in my old engine. I have about 5K miles on this enging. I can tour fine and run 45/50. The issue is acceleration, I have changed the carb and been thru the distributor. Wondering if I have a bad valve or head gasket issue.

I have not checked the compression yet just looking for suggestions b4 I start.
SANTA Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #2
Jim Brierley

Default Re: Power

Check the compression, and for proper spark advance. Retarded spark will result in low power. New engines can be a little tight and therefore down in power but at 5,000 miles it should have loosened up and be giving good power.
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
sidhartha

Is there any differences in the build of the engines. The old and the new have the same stock or high compression heads and same cam deminsions? If you'd ever done a compression check on the old engine and still have the results. Then you could compare them to a test on the new one. That might tell you a lot. There's a number things that it could be.
sidhartha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

Any chance a rodent got into the exhaust while the engine change was going on?

A plugged exhaust will give you low power and a low reading on a vacuum guage at higher speeds.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #5
SANTA Ray

Don't think it's back pressure issue. The both have a 5.5 comp head. I know all about spark advance and timing, I drove from Atlanta to the Arctic Circle. The new engine was built 30 years ago and placed in storage. I put the 5.5 head on prior to droppong it in, don't think it's just tight as I have driven it from GA to the MARC & MAFCA Nationsl meets last summer. Just asking for something that I have overlooked b4 I start to attack the problem. Getting ready for Lexington next month and don't want to have any issues.

I can keep up with our club when touring. It could just be the engin's nature and I'm expecting to much

Thanks
SANTA Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

I'm sure you checked the intake passages before you installed the engine. About 5 years ago I was asked to install an engine that had been stored for some time, and he didn't want to me spend any time checking it over. I'm glad I did check it over because the intake chambers were full of rodent crap and nests.

A guy with a rebuilt V8 once complained about lack of power and after a year he pulled the intake and found a rag inside.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote