Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #1
56fairlane

Default 1956 Fairlane Club Sedan needs...questions.

I am so thankful to find this sight. I purchased a 1956 Club Sedan because I couldn't find a 57 Fairlane 500 like my grandparents had. I am very excited about this car, and am hoping you folks can help me locate a few parts...I have looked on Ebay, Craigslist, and other Old Ford sites. My car does not have the front and rear bumper guards that I see on every other Fairlane...I would like to find those. Also, the rear ashtrays are missing out of the arm rests. I also have a few questions about the car. It has power steering, a power brake PEDAL...no booster, a Town and Country Radio, a rear speaker option, and the foot pedal next to the emergency brake that operates the wipers. The code for the motor shows it to be the 312 motor coupled with the fordomatic transmission. The valve covers are chrome...should they be black?

Thanks,

Marty
56fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:44 PM   #2
Ole Don

Default Re: 1956 Fairlane Club Sedan needs...questions.

Some early power brake set ups didnt use the type of booster we see today. They had a system similar to the truck Hydrovac, it was mounted on the left inner fender in front of the front suspension. Some used a Treddlevac system. The 57 312 had red on the engine with black rocker covers, I dont know about a 56.
Ole Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
56fairlane

Thanks for the info on the power brakes...I did not know that. I posted some pictures in your photo section of my car.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
paul2748

56 Fords had a red engine and black bolt on parts, including the valve covers.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:19 PM   #5
Fordknut

What a nice car to have! My wife and I were married in '61.
Her Uncle, a longtime Ford mechanic let us take his '56 Club Sedan on our honeymoon. It was coral and black with a 312 and AT. It was in absolute mint condition and just beautiful.
I think I have some pics of that car around somewhere!
Fordknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Paul H

I think I have some of the bumper guards for a 56.I'll look through my parts in the next couple of days and see how many I have.The valve covers should be black,not chrome,as another member stated.I have a nice pair of original valve covers that have stripped and painted black that I'd sell.The rear armrest ashtrays are a very hard piece to find.For some reason, most of them have disappeared.When I restored my Club Sedan a few years ago,I spent 2 years finding a pair of ashtrays.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #7
darrell

its funny you should bring up the ashtray thing.i have been looking at 56 sedans on ebay and other places and when they show int, shots theres almost always an ashtray missing.
darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
56fairlane

I will be happy to buy whatever you have to make the car more original. The mirrors are incorrect also...
Old 02-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #9
56fairlane

Also, can you guys tell me about whether or not these cars had rocker panel chrome moldings? I have seen some on some cars on ebay, was it just the Victorias that were supposed to have them?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #10
raceron1120

I've seen them too but I think the rocker moldings are aftermarket items.

What ashtrays are you looking for? My Fairlane has them in the rear armrests on each side, with the sliding top/cover. Are yours the same?

I've seen the 56s with and without bumper guards, I chose not to replace them on mine, just personal preference.

Mac's has the correct outside mirrors, other sources probably do too.

Actually, most of the body moldings are stainless steel. Park lamp housings & extensions, hood and deck emblems and headlight bezel speartips are chrome plated pot metal Grille is chrome plated steel.

BTW - nice sedan there!

Ron

Last edited by raceron1120; 02-07-2012 at 07:32 PM.
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #11
Paul H

The rocker moldings were an extra cost factory option on all 56s.All 56s had the bumper guards,but many of them have been removed over the years.The ashtrays are unique to the Fairlane and Customline Club Sedan models.All Victorias and all 4 doors had different ashtrays in the rear.
I will look to see if I still have any bumper guards as soon as I get a chance.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 AM   #12
raceron1120

Paul do you have any pics of the rocker moldings? I've not paid a lot of attention to any I've seen, but would like to take a closer look at them if possible.

Thx

Ron
raceron1120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

I ran across a 56 with a y-block in a junkyard back in 1972 that had dirty, oily chromed valve covers. Always wondered if Ford chromed them optionally.

You can still buy the entire power brake booster assembly and mounting bracket NEW from Concours parts, but it aint cheap.

Theres still a few 2-dr, 55 and 56's at johns salvage in Cabool, Missouri. Many bumper guards to pick from also as there is a lot more 4-dr and station wagons there
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
Daves55Sedan

The small foot pedal to the far left is actually for the Ford "See-Clear" windshield washer. It also operates the windshield wipers as long as you hold your foot down on the pedal. There should be a red plastic "SEE-Clear" washer fluid bag mounted to a bracket on the drivers side fender apron.
You can still buy all those components new from a lot of resto parts suppliers. Concours has the most comprehensive selection, but they are expensive.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #15
Paul H

Raceron,
Sorry,no, I don't have any pictures of the rocker mouldings.I recently scrapped a car that had them,but they were in such bad shape,I didn't keep them.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #16
Paul H

56 Fairlane,
I found a pair of bumper guards for a 56.They are not show quality,although they are straight and could be rechromed.They are good enough for a driver as they are.I'll take $40,including shipping,for them.
PM me or email to [email protected] if you're interested.I also have some other parts from 56s that I've scrapped over the years.Let me know if there's anything more I can help you with.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #17
jamestank

anyone install power booster and duel m/c on 1956 crown vic. need to know adapters,line size.... thanks jim
jamestank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #18
paul2748

You are better off starting new thread on this. Might get a better response

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestank View Post
anyone install power booster and duel m/c on 1956 crown vic. need to know adapters,line size.... thanks jim
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:26 PM   #19
delco1946

Hey Dave, what do mean holding the washer fluid pedal operates the wipers too ��? They’re two different systems on my 1955. I have to operate them separately / independently.
delco1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 12:44 AM   #20
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by delco1946 View Post
Hey Dave, what do mean holding the washer fluid pedal operates the wipers too ��? They’re two different systems on my 1955. I have to operate them separately / independently.

The factory rubber tubing installation furnishes a dual-operation, thus: Depressing the foot-pedal causes a stream of washer-fluid from the " See-Clear" bag to a chrome-plated outlet on the hood. Two holes in the outlet aim the washer fluid to the windshield.
There is a nylon "Tee" fitting in the rubber vacuum hose under the dashboard at the point of the hose entry through the firewall. One end of the "Tee" has a hose to the vacuum wiper motor. The other end of the "Tee" goes to the hose connection at the foot pedal.
That hose opens engine vacuum to the wiper motor when the washer foot pedal is depressed, operating the wiper motor. When the pedal is released, the wiper motor no longer has vacuum, and the wiper arms return to their normal position. If you hold your foot down on the pedal, vacuum continuously pulls the wiper motor (but you only get one shot of fluid, since the fluid pressure is operated by the bellows under the foot pedal). However if you need another shot of fluid on the windshield, just release the pedal and press it again.
It is not necessary to operate the windshield wiper knob on the dashboard just to clean your windshield with washer fluid.
But if that "Tee" fitting and extra hose that FOMOCO originally installed is missing, you will not have the dual action.