Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2018, 12:41 AM   #1
DWKy

Default Too excited to sleep!

Hello everyone,

New member here, though I've been following along and trying to absorb as much information for some time now. I wanted to become a Model A owner before I became a member and well...I'VE FINALLY DONE IT!!!

Today I pulled home what I believe to be a 29' Fordor 60c, I say this because of the notched (horseshoe) shape of the top. I will accompany more pictures in the morning. My intentions for the car is to do a full frame off restoration. Though I have a few under my belt (52 Chevy pickup, 80 Corvette, 81 Camaro) this will be my first Model A.

A little bit about the car:

She's been sitting...though in relatively very good shape. This car was parked in a barn in 1961 in Wolfe County, Ky (license plate is still on it) and then sold to the man whom I bought it from in 2013, at that point I believe that she spent a little time out in the weather continuing to sit.

Top and interior are in pretty bad shape but the wood frame looks intact or at least in good enough shape to get a good pattern from. The body looks to be in great shape except for a bit of damage to the radiator shroud area ( the story I was told was that the radiator, being of brass I assume, was stolen for scrap...arggh). Other than than the radiator and a different set of wheels, I'm told that the car is all original.

I'm excited of the prospect of learning about the car and would greatly appreciate any words of wisdom from the community.

Cheers,
DW
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (46.1 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by DWKy; 12-16-2018 at 01:05 AM.
DWKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 01:09 AM   #2
DWKy

Default Re: Too excited to sleep!

One more for now
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (75.5 KB, 308 views)
Old 12-16-2018, 01:50 AM   #3
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn! Check the wood body VERY carefully. The whole structure is wood. Check the fluids and the brakes-get new drums as the old steel ones are scrap by today's standards. Then maybe putter around in her if you can before you restore her. Other than that enjoy as you look to have a solid car to start with. Oh also, join a local club, you will meet new people who know a lot about these cars as they are totally different than anything you have done in the past. Although the 52 Chevy pickup will come close-sort of.

Mike
Old 12-16-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
30 Closed Cab PU

Welcome. Like you said, other then the wheel repaint looks original. Hopefully the motor is free. Below is friendly advice from someone who has had the experience reviving an A from a 50 year nap. I am not a believer in putting in a battery and trying to start an A in unknown condition.

Perhaps you already know, hopefully am not preaching to the choir.

Don't replace radiator until after you have got the motor freed up and running. No use spending money on a radiator right away if the motor is shot. If you do buy a radiator, buy a good one, don't skimp, if you do skimp it will probably came back at you with running hot/overheating issues.

Drain gas tank. Clean gas shutoff pencil filter (if it does not have one, add one), sediment bowl and screen, carb filter.

Over extended time grease and oil gets contaminated, separates, collects condensation, grease actually hardens.

Drain oil, drop oil pan, remove the baffle, and clean it out - too much sludge in the bottom can block the oil pump, this actually happened to me. Clean out behind the valve access panel. Hand crank engine with access panel off and check all valves are working. Lube distributor and generator. Remove distributor and add some oil into the head hole to get oil into the valves. Add motor oil.

Clean and tighten all ignition circuit connections. Remove plugs, add a few squirts of oil to each hole and hand crank a bit. Put plugs back in and with the ignition off crank using the starter. Small partial pump of grease into water pump.

Add a little fresh gas. Turn on the fuel shut off. Loosen carb drain bolt to see if the carb gets gas. Then try to start it. If it runs than add a radiator.

When adding the radiator install an upper hose coolant filter to catch any crud in the motor from plugging up your radiator. Use distilled water with a rust inhibitor, at least at 1st if possible. You do not want the mess of antifreeze everywhere if the cooling system leaks.

Originally Model As were not fused. Add a fuse ASAP, if original or very old wiring you have a high risk of an electrical fire - even with the key off, the starter/horn/lights are live all the time, only the ignition is off.

Before running it down the road you may want to disconnect the speedometer cable. The grease/lube in my A speedometer had hardened, which caused the speedometer gearing to strip.

After it is running, drive it awhile to feel out . And give it a proper grease job and change out the other fluids (trans, steering box, diff). Re-torque head, run a compression check, and do a coolant block test to check for exhaust leaking into the coolant. Repack the wheel bearings.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:38 AM   #5
Mike Peters

When adding the radiator install an upper hose coolant filter to catch any crud in the motor from plugging up your radiator. 30 closed cab

Great advice! Question: I've never heard of an upper hose coolant filter. Where does one buy one, and brand name if possible? mike
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
chap52

Welcome aboard. Your car looks "almost" ready to go.....But before your tempted to start it and go for a quick cruise be sure it has brakes in operating condition. Hard not to take it for a spin if you get it running. Driving these are cool, stopping them even better...
You might want to check out the ford vintage also . Between this forum and that one you will find many of the same folks and lots more also.
https://www.vintagefordforum.net/forum
Enjoy the adventure and keep us posted. Chap

Use a old piece of panty hose as an upper hose filter.

Last edited by chap52; 12-16-2018 at 07:45 AM. Reason: add info
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:44 AM   #7
Ray in La Mesa

The GANO FILTER is the one to use in the upper hose. Well made, works great,easy to clean. can see debris caught through clear tube. Punch it in on the internet.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:33 AM   #8
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peters View Post
When adding the radiator install an upper hose coolant filter to catch any crud in the motor from plugging up your radiator. 30 closed cab

Great advice! Question: I've never heard of an upper hose coolant filter. Where does one buy one, and brand name if possible? mike

Hi Mike,

Here are a few threads. Do a google search on them, try amazon 1st. More info available if you search the barn. Many types, Gano is frequently mentioned, some use panty hose, or an old sock a the head outlet neck.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248543
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251888
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ht=hose+filter

Old 12-16-2018, 10:36 AM   #9
daveymc29

Old piece of pantie hose pilfered fro the neighbors clothesline. I used about a four inch section after flushing out the system and running vinegar for a week. Though I had done flushing and backflushing with water and air I still got enough crud to block flow the first time. Next not so bad and don't mean to tell you to drive it with a sock in the hose once it's pretty clean, Gano filter is the way to go if everything works out with the sock. Your results may vary, not for show.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #10
30 Closed Cab PU

One last bit of advice from me. Inspect your water pump Fan. If original, or older type, they develop cracks, and will break and can go flying through the hood, radiator, or you. Most recommend replacing with the modern 2 blade aluminum. A few stories of this if you search the Barn.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #11
whirnot

You just slipped down the rabbit hole.........lol!

1929 Roadster
1929 Briggs Town Sedan
1930 Closed Cab pickup
Smith Motor Compressor
1951 Ford F1

High Desert Model A's
whirnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:30 AM   #12
30 Closed Cab PU

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
Guilty, sometimes just can not stop myself. Am just too willing to share my limited knowledge/views.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:13 PM   #13
barnstuf

In the photo the doors show no evidence of sagging, so you may have lucked out on the condition of the wood in a body style that has a wood frame for the body. With luck you may be able to swap those 1930-31 19" wheels for the correct 21" wheels for 1928-29. Keep us posted as you make progress on the restoration.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:18 PM   #14
Charlie Stephens

Be ready for people to tell you it is a '30-'31 based on the shape of the gas tank. You are right about the year. That model had a unique gas tank that looked like a '30-'31.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:18 PM   #15
DWKy

Thank you all for the words of advice and tips on the A. I appreciate all of them. I started with removing the seats and interior. As I had stated she has been sitting outside and has had a significant amount of water in the cab over the years, so my main concern was trying to get the moisture out as soon as possible. I had a bit of rot in the rear corners and just behind the upper windshield but even with all the water, I had solid floor pans and no holes!!! So I'm encouraged!!

-DW
Old 12-17-2018, 06:59 AM   #16
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirnot View Post
so fitting, I like that ....
Old 12-17-2018, 10:20 AM   #17
Chuck Dempsey

Best of luck!
Chuck Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote