Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-06-2016, 10:27 AM   #101
1Tudoor

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new project

Never became attracted to these speedsters until I got on this site & as a 77 yr old motor head , I'm beginning to appreciate them & as well your project .
Working w/ rivets & sheet metal I see you have an adequate supply of cleco fasteners .
I don't use mine much anymore but as w/ any tool , they will become useless when I do . Look forward to your progress & good luck w/ the Henrob .
1Tudoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:26 AM   #102
RockHillWill

Work on the speedster is often sporadic, but I got a great deal of help on it during the Redneck Roundup. Jim Hery and Per, especially were helpful. Patman, Steve Greenwood and other kicked in on several occasions as well.

Here is a link to a YouTube video posted by Per. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMLWopalmUM

RS1 016.jpg

RS1 017.jpg

Speedster01 004.jpg

Speedster01 010.jpg

Sun-1 016.jpg

Sun-1 017.jpg

Sun-1 018.jpg
Old 05-13-2016, 07:49 AM   #103
RockHillWill

Here are some photos showing the sequence of the recently completed steering wheel for the speedster.

SpeedsterRing3.jpg

SpStrgAssy3.jpg

SPEEDY 001.jpg

willy2 001.jpg

Strg2.jpg
Old 05-14-2016, 04:05 AM   #104
Mafman

Beautiful work, Will!
Mafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #105
RockHillWill

Thanks, James. I live in Rock Hill, S.C.. Work goes slow on this project as being retired is not all that it is cracked up to be, regarding having a lot of time to do things. PM me if you would like to stop by for a visit. I will give you directions. Call first as I travel frequently.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:37 AM   #106
RockHillWill

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Progress is going painfully slow to suit me, but many 'things' seem to require fun time lately, but did get around to finishing the left side of the speedster hood that included some louvers based on a YouTube video by Per - Metalman Sweden.

I took the real panel and a practice panel to the water jet guy and had him use my drawing to layout and cut the starter 'slots'. It made a good line up possible, but I have previously used a 4" 'zip' wheel, and I actually think that works better.

JuneWilly 004.jpg

today 001.jpg

today 003.jpg

today 013.jpg

today 026.jpg

today 027.jpg

today 028.jpg
Old 07-31-2016, 08:31 AM   #107
RockHillWill

Have been getting a little more done recently on the hood area. Am currently working on the cockpit area.

Phone1 007.jpg

Phone1 008.jpg

SundayAft 023.jpg

SundayAft 025.jpg

SundayAft 026.jpg

SundayAft 029.jpg

SundayEve 001.jpg
Old 07-31-2016, 08:54 AM   #108
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

With the time if took for you to post 54 posts on one thread you could have had the project finished haha ! Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:55 AM   #109
George Miller

Very nice work.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #110
RockHillWill

A little bit more each week, now it seems. The seat work was done several months ago. The sides of the top panels were rolled by using a rubber go kart tire in the wheeling machine. The upper and lower frames for the seats are from '30-'31 Model a Tudor seats. The narrow slots in the upper panels are slots that I had the water jet guy make in the panels so the panels would hold their shape from end to end while rolling. When they are fitted and held in place, I will cut that area out so that the wire edgings can be installed.
The 3" thick seat cushion foam was cut an a water jet machine.

June2815 006.jpg

June2815 005.jpg

June2815 004.jpg

Fixtures 016.jpg

Fixtures 011.jpg

Fixtures 012.jpg

Fixtures 014.jpg
Old 08-04-2016, 07:39 AM   #111
RockHillWill

Finally got the entire body is enclosed. Still some detailing and fitting required, most minor, but I view this as a milestone on this project. Now that the panels are fitted, the area inside the 'stitched' area will be cut out and wire edging installed.

fullskin 004.jpg

fullskin 008.jpg

fullskin 009.jpg

fullskin 010.jpg

fullskin 012.jpg

fullskin 014.jpg

fullskin 017.jpg
Old 08-04-2016, 07:47 PM   #112
Mafman

Well done Will! If I ever get the Plan finished at work, I've got to get down your way and see it!
Mafman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #113
RockHillWill

These new English wheeling machines have just arrived from Australia. The gentleman the I import these from is scheduled to teach metal shaping classes again this year in the US.

This is the wheeling machine that I have been waiting for to help do the final finishing of some of the body panels on the speedster. I will also be using this machine to build the aluminum Model A fenders, once the bucks are completed.

Each class that peter has taught at our shop has included numerous tips and tricks for restoration work on the Model A's.

ewheelday1 012.jpg

ewheelday1 019.jpg

ewheelday2 003.jpg

ewheelday2 007.jpg

ewheelday2 008.jpg

ewheelday2 011.jpg

ewheelday2 012.jpg

Last edited by RockHillWill; 08-09-2016 at 09:17 AM.
RockHillWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 02:26 PM   #114
MrBruce

Default Re: I could not sit idle, have a new Speedster project

Looks like it's evolving Will. Need to make another trip soon? I will email you the info we discussed last week. Back from Wisconsin so can start to get things done again.
MrBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #115
Wick

Love the progress Will.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 05:49 AM   #116
Ed Saniewski

Will, Was the Blue wheel painted special for you?

Model A Pick Up Owners and Enthusiasts
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/group.php?groupid=5
Ed Saniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:03 AM   #117
RockHillWill

Good morning, Ed.

Yes, it was. Peter was especially happy with the way the sales of his wheels were being received here in the US, and wanted to show his appreciation for the assistance that I was providing. I just took names and collected the money and gave him a destination to send them to. In appreciation, he sent me that 'special' wheel, painted Ford Racing Blue. He also does some race car work in Australia, and that has become his favorite racing color. He also autographed the inside of the upper wheel and just in front of the back bone . He also added a full set of the 'Aussie' upper wheel and lower anvils. He is a very kind and generous man. It is no wonder he is so well thought of around the world.

For those folks that are interested in this type of work, we are in the planning stages to host him again this year for his US tour of metal shaping classes. When the schedule is completed, I will attempt to post it here, as his classes lend themselves very well to the amateur and pro Model A restorers.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:33 AM   #118
RockHillWill

Bob Kalenda came down from Grand Rapids, Michigan this week to lend a hand in prepping the speedster to get it wired up, detailed and running. We have been making a secondary bracket to run the fan, separate from the normal method of using the fan on the water pump. The radiator is lowere and the upper water neck got in the way of the fan, so we are making a shaft just below to spin the fan. The work Bob is doing on the wiring is extremely well done and organized, and I love the way it looks. He has integrated the original Model A wiring schematic with the requirements needed for the different gauges that I am using. The dual carburetors are creating some challenges. We have determined the way to jointly choke both carbs at the same time, but the high speed enrichment will be done separately with small hand knobs. A new battery has been installed and the cable are in place.

A visit to the Front Row Motorsports shop revealed the J. D. McDuffey paint job for the upcoming 'throwback' race in Darlington.

BobK1 006.jpg

BobK1 008.jpg

BobK1 009.jpg

BobK1 012.jpg

BobK1 014.jpg

BobK1 002.jpg

BobK1 003.jpg
Old 08-28-2016, 12:06 PM   #119
RockHillWill

Bob Kolenda was down for the week and was VERY instrumental in bringing the speedster much closer to actually being a viable car. He did all the instrumentation, wiring, plumbing and detail fabrication to bring it to the point where we got the motor started on Saturday. The pictures loaded a little bit out of order. We spent the earlier part of the week visiting some local points of interest and acquiring the myriad of detailed parts that are needed when running down the check list that is at the end of a long project. many futtings, bolts, etc and the occasional hamburger required many trips, but on Saturday we finally got to 'light' this thing up. The motor had not been turned over in many months, so we had to 'lubricate' the cylinders. There was quite a bit of the lubricant still in the cylinders, and when it finally 'lit', it looked there was a familiar Australian metal shaper ( the one that uses a torch to shrink aluminum.... ) doing the work. This car has no muffler, and when it started, it belched flames and fire from the header, sending smoke throughout the shop and it is rumored that there is no worry about mosquitos for the rest of the summer here in York County, South Carolina. John Kluttz, a well known Model A engine builder, happened to arrive at the shop shortly prior to starting the motor, and minimized the time it may have taken to sort out any 'issues'. Because I had installed dual carbs, I had installed gauges to monitor vacuum and the small oil pressure among other gauges. Bob was very adept at mating the two carbs in a manner that we can accelerate them at the same time and choke them simultaneously, but we will have to adjust the GAV separately. Because I had to lower the radiator to lower the nose, you can see that we had to make a 'jackshaft' to turn the fan. We cut a generator pulley and welded it to the water pump shaft to drive the fan mounted below the water pump. I cut another generator pullet to fit that shaft. It has been a long time since I have had this much fun. Many thanks to Bob Kolenda!!

BobK1 008.jpg

BobK1 010.jpg

BobK2 004.jpg

BobK2 007.jpg

BobK2 013.jpg

BobK2 018.jpg

BobK2 032.jpg

BobK2 050.jpg

BobK2 056.jpg

BobK1 001.jpg

BobK1 002.jpg

BobK1 003.jpg

BobK1 004.jpg

BobK1 005.jpg

BobK1 006.jpg
Old 09-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #120
RockHillWill

Another small step.

Finishing up the modifications required when I lowered the stock Model A radiator to fit under the hood line. Doing so was going to make the fan blades cut thru the upper radiator hose. The intent of this build was to get some metal shaping practice with aluminum panels and to do so as it might have been done by someone in the early 1930's, and I could not determine that electric 6-volt automotive fans were available during that time. That meant a mechanical solution and I chose to use a fan mounted to a 'jackshaft', made from another water pump, located more to the center of the radiator core, and make it belt driven. It is slightly offset to clear the standard Model A fan belt, making the full size Model A fan close to the modified lower radiator hose arrangement. Multiple 'steps' to avoid interference seems to have been accomplished. I made a three piece mounting bracket attaching to the water pump and the timing chain cover and welded it together. Then I machined the center out of a generator pulley and welded it to a standard water pump pulley that I machined the outer components off of. The tension for the jackshaft pulley is accomplished by changing the shims under the fan shaft bearings.

BobK1 010.jpg

BobK2 006.jpg

BobK2 054.jpg

SatSpeed 005.jpg

SatSpeed 007.jpg

SatSpeed 012.jpg

SatSpeed 017.jpg