Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Old Henry

Default Re: Universal Joint Lubrication

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
What about the grease used in modern front wheel drive constant velocity (CV) joints? This stuff also has to stay in circulation and not "wagon track", as was described. It does a good job of keeping the joint lubed for life unless a boot tears. I've bought some to try but it's still on the bench!
John Deere Corn Head Grease is just such a grease used in CV joints. Here's a great video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwk_sYP6A8 Glad I just bought it and put it in.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #22
40 Deluxe

Very interesting video!!! Looks like if one doesn't have a John Deere dealer nearby, a trip to the local auto parts store for some CV grease will do it.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #23
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Very interesting video!!! Looks like if one doesn't have a John Deere dealer nearby, a trip to the local auto parts store for some CV grease will do it.
I think the key is to get grease that is NLGI-0 grade which is the consistency of brown mustard whereas most chassis grease is NLGI-2 grade, the consistency of peanut butter. Learn more about grease grades here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NLGI_Grade
Old 01-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #24
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Henry View Post
John Deere Corn Head Grease is just such a grease used in CV joints. Here's a great video about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEwk_sYP6A8 Glad I just bought it and put it in.
I liked that video. I can buy JD Corn Head grease in regular/standard size grease gun tubes at several dealers near me....course I live in the middle of farm country where we have lots of 'Corn Heads' that need greasing . I'm planning to use CH grease in steering boxes, universal joints (both open and closed), tie rod ends, king pins, water pumps, etc., but will NOT use it in early Ford rear wheel bearings. Heck, I may even shoot some in the crank case w/o doing any research to determine if it's good or bad but please don't tell G.M. about that

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 05:27 PM   #25
G.M.

I think your getting a little carried away. G.M.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:06 PM   #26
flat-v8

I ordered 2 tubes of JD cornhead on Friday, got it today and put it in minutes ago. I took off the speedo gear just to check it, and see what it looks like, the gear would barely turn, was almost frozen up, cleaned it real good, spins freely, reinstalled, actually put in 1 full tube of cornhead grease, plus about 10 pumps of another tube till it starting coming out, needless to say the U joint was dry, thanks for the info on proper grease!
flat-v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:19 PM   #27
Ian NZ

If I just add John Deere cornhead grease to the universal joint in my V8 will it mix with the other grease, and if I remove most of the oil out of the steering box will cornhead grease mix with the remaining oil?
Ian NZ is offline   Reply With Quote