Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-29-2019, 03:07 PM   #1
rivcokid

Default Car bucks violently at lower speeds

Hi all - my 31 Deluxe Roadster has developed a bucking problem. In 2nd and 3rd gears, if I slow down past a certain point and then try to speed up again (like if I slow down for a red light that turns green before I can stop, but I slow down quite a bit), the car bucks, especially in 3rd gear. It's become pretty violent and I need to pull over, completely stop, and then start all over again. The engine runs fine, except that it is hard to start, but it always does start. The transmission can be tempermental to shift sometimes too. The bucking never occurs when going through the gears 1, 2, 3 as normal, just when the speed decreases in 2nd or 3rd gear. Any ideas? Thanks as always in advance.
rivcokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 03:48 PM   #2
Purdy Swoft

Default Re: Car bucks violently at lower speeds

The initial timing could be a bit on the advanced side . The other common possibility could be improper use of the spark lever . Driving with full advance at SPEED is just fine . At lower speeds in the higher gears you need to retard the spark a bit to remove bucking . It is very easy to lug the engine and damage babbit when driving at too low of speed in the higher gears with too much advance .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote