Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-03-2012, 04:46 PM   #1
Dave/Green Bay

Default Mighty Wipers

Is there anyone that’s running Might Wipers 6 volt. If so what has been your experience, installation, performance, problems. Thinking of using them in a 35. Thank you Dave/Green Bay
Dave/Green Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Lawson Cox

Default Re: Mighty Wipers

I have them on my 35 PU but haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. Let me know how you come out. I am using the blades that go on with a nut, and I experienced some slippage. Also, wind blows the wipers off of the windshield at 50 MPH, for what that's worth.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Pete from OZ

I have the same problems as Lawson Cox. The ones with the nuts to hold down the wiper arms just don,t seem to tighten them up good enough, and yes they end up on the roof.
Also I am running two on my 35 Coupe and cannot seem to get them in the same sequence with each other.
Another thing is that they are very noisey (loud).
Pete
Pete from OZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
JM 35 Sedan

One reason the wipers won't stay on the windshield and blow up on the roof is...the spring in the top of the arm is too weak and does not exert enough force on the blade to keep it on the windshield. My '35 fordor does this now with a stock vacuum wiper motor. If I could find a stronger spring I could stop it from blowing up on the roof.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
flatheadfan

Jim-

What I do to get around the "flying wiper" was make a simple adjustable stop. It is not exactly elegant but it does the job of keeping the wiper in place even doing 50 mph with rain.

Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0411.JPG (48.9 KB, 177 views)
flatheadfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #6
dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawson Cox View Post
I have them on my 35 PU but haven't had the opportunity to use them yet. Let me know how you come out. I am using the blades that go on with a nut, and I experienced some slippage. Also, wind blows the wipers off of the windshield at 50 MPH, for what that's worth.
Same thing with a 12 v unit. Motor is fine, but the blade just smears things around. I've tried a number of blades,but with no good results. Rain X
Old 10-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #7
BILLF/TRF

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadfan View Post
Jim-

What I do to get around the "flying wiper" was make a simple adjustable stop. It is not exactly elegant but it does the job of keeping the wiper in place even doing 50 mph with rain.

Tom
I did the same as Tom, I made an adjustable stop out of sheet metal-painted color of car and it works well. At least it did until the wind sent it up onto the top-the other direction. In that case it was a loose bolt, so I tightened and loctited the bolt and now all is well!

Bill
BILLF/TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
PWD

Tapered shaft arms have an splined aluminum insert in them that deforms as the nut is tightened to conform to the taper of the shaft. Hold the arm firmly while you tighten the nut "wrist tight". I can't give you a torque setting . The taper does the work--think drinking glasses stuck together. Our experience is that the tapered shaft arms hold better than the hot rod straight shaft arms. Thirties vehicles were not designed to drive 70 mph and meet an 18 wheeler and many have horrendous air flow pressures over the hood. Many cars will buffet or lift the arms off the glass at speed as mentioned. It sometimes helps to kink the end of the arm ( and improves the appearance) so that the blade nestles parallel against the windshield seal in the park position. As a last resort it may be necessary to remove them and install in rainy weather. The reason that manufacturers went to cowl mount wipers is to have the air flow work in their favor instead of against them.
Even if I could build indentical motors, the airflow on one side of the glass may not be equal to the other ( cross wind) and the motors will ultimately get out of sync just like the original vacuum motors. If that bothers you I suggest running the second motor on a separate switch and using it when you have a passenger with you. I explain that carefully to everyone that orders direct.
Wiper blades do not scrape the glass they squeegee the glass. Thirties blades ( hook and saddle and earlier ) had very short, poor quality rubber with a stiff straight back that is designed to "flop over" on each sweep. Modern blades have higher quality tall rubber that does the same thing. A blade which is chattering has either hardened rubber or too much pressure on the glass. The arms we supply have the correct pressure ( 8 oz) for an 8" blade according to our "Tell-Tale" wiper arm pressure gauge. Too much pressure will potentially roll over the rubber with the metal back scraping the glass. Lifting is caused by air flow not weak springs. Adequate pressure at high speed will often be too much at low speed.
We would like to provide silent motors, however the physics of permag motors is that the smaller they are the faster they must run. The Mighty Wioer was designed to fit in the header cavity of my partner's 33 ford coupe about 28 years ago and is the smallest on the market. The motors are turning 8200rpm at alternator voltage, geared for 60 cycles/min. Noise is vibration so anything you can do to isolate the motor from the roof ( which acts like a drumhead) will help.
Larry Richards, Chief cook and bottle washer, Pacific Western Design
PWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:15 PM   #9
Fourdy

Thanks PWD for the info. We don't often get the designer manufacturer come on and help us out with their product.

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Dave/Green Bay

Great information.

Thank you Dave/Green Bay
Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #11
Django

I've been running a Mighty Wiper for 7 years in my coupe with trips from Chicago to Cleveland, Austin, and Chattanooga, and have been happy with it. My only complaint is it won't stay in the center at speed. It blows to the left side of the windshield as soon as I hit the highway, so I just leave it parked there.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #12
Dave/Green Bay

Are you running it 6 volt or 12? Thanks Dave/Green Bay
Old 10-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
2ndgeer

Chuckle, chuckle. How easy it is to "blame" something/somebody. I mounted a Mighty Wiper motor in my '34 pickup more than 20 years ago. Since it never rains in southern California I never needed it. I turned it on to adjust the arc of the blade and it QUIT after 7 seconds!!. Geez, my Japanese motor from J.C. Whitney didn't do that. Turns out the brand new Ron Francis switch failed and there was nothing wrong with the Mighty Wiper! It is a well made and nifty product.
2ndgeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
Pete

I have 2 of them on my model A but I have them mounted in the header.
I put modern high pressure arms on them and they will stay on the glass at 130 mph.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Dave/Green Bay

Pete: What type of arms did you use? Thanks Dave/Green Bay
Old 10-10-2012, 03:29 PM   #16
Pete

I was afraid someone would ask that.
I don't know at the moment...I just went to NAPA and pawed through their
catalog and shelves till I found something.
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #17
Fourdy

x2 from me too Pete?

Fourdy
Fourdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:35 PM   #18
Pete

I couldn't find any numbers on anything but the arm has a split hole and is held on the motor spud by an allen head clamp screw.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM   #19
Django

Hmm, I've never had mine blow off the windshield with the supplied arm, but I've only had my car up to 105 mph.