Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-19-2015, 03:10 PM   #21
BlueSunoco

Default Re: Barrett Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyZ View Post
I talked with a fellow that goes there every winter. He says that you would be surprised with the poor workmanship on a lot of those cars. When they put them on camera, they know what angles to shoot and what parts of them not to show.
Maybe this is why prices are all over the place. The buyers see them in person and can better judge what they should bring, than we can watch on TV.
Randy, my brother in law is a true car nut like us, and he told me that EXACT same thing! He has been there to see the cars several times and he says there are some real turds that slide thru, the kind you see Fast and Furious the TV show shoot a quick paint job in two stage and give the car a quick cleaning, some really poorly done cars that the buyers will think 'oh sh-- what did I do?' when they get home!! factor in all the shill bidding going on to boost the price, gets ugly. Car show only in my eyes nothing more nothing less...............
BlueSunoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:26 PM   #22
Barrhavencobra

Had the opportunity to be there last week, went to 5 of the 6 auctions going on in and around Scottsdale. A great experience, saw a ton of cars, from my perspective I think it is hard to hide defects on tv, even harder to hide from the bidders who can check them out, touch them etc before they go across the block.

Just to see all the cars is an experience I would recommend to any car guys and girls.

Jim
Barrhavencobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 09:40 PM   #23
rheltzel

Me, too. Our cars might not sell for what the cars at Barrett-Jackson do, but I'll bet ours are in better mechanical condition and can be relied upon to get us to where we need to be.

So, Shadetree, have you ever been to Hardy County, WV? That's where my family is from.
rheltzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #24
mhsprecher

I tend to shy away from events with a lot of hype, so the auctions have not interested me much. I do read about some of the cars that are featured in the summaries in the car mags, just because I am interested in cars. I have never watched any of these shows on TV, but that is because I don't watch TV. They are popular and serve their function and are making someone some bucks - the auction companies, most likely.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM   #25
barnfind

Hug my junk? It's a generational thing I guess....
barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:05 PM   #26
1937pickup

Barnfind, I was told Ron Pratt developed, and patented,those metal gussets you see on roof trusses and many other pre-fab building components. Not sure if he sold the business or not. One other thing-I doubt if a Ron Pratt pays the same buyers premium or sellers cost as others.
1937pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 10:50 PM   #27
TonyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I tend to shy away from events with a lot of hype, so the auctions have not interested me much. I do read about some of the cars that are featured in the summaries in the car mags, just because I am interested in cars. I have never watched any of these shows on TV, but that is because I don't watch TV. They are popular and serve their function and are making someone some bucks - the auction companies, most likely.

What he said.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote