Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-09-2019, 07:50 PM   #1
46woodie

Default Rebuilt fuel pumps 59A

Buying a new fuel pump,where's a good source. Anyone on here rebuilding them? Thanks
46woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:35 PM   #2
cas3

Default Re: Rebuilt fuel pumps 59A

you send your old one to this guy. dont buy a new one, they are junk https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257272
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:42 PM   #3
Angledrive

X2!
Angledrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #4
cas3

just for entertainment, heres the story of my bob drake pump. got it on sale, and yes it was in stock! so, i put my shiny new pump on, and it leaks around the top of the glass bowl. not a big deal, tighten it up. still leaks. take it apart, gasket is ok, all is new and clean so put it back on and tighten some more. next, the thumb screw shaft breaks off at the slot where it goes on the bale. close exam shows that the chinese screw is the same size shaft where the slot is cut for the bale. a ford shaft gets bigger there so when you cut the slot in to fit the bale, there is still some meat left so the little tangs to slide on the bale have some strength. it would have helped if they got the shaft centered in the machine that cut the shaft, but they did not, so one side was very thin and broke with very little violence. so, i'm a cool guy with lots of junk to the envy of every one but my wife, out to the barn to get a bale off an old dirty pump. so i put that on...still leaks. wiggling around i discover the glass bowl is not round. some places seem to almost fit, some not so good. wiggle some more, find the right spot and tighten it down, still leaks. now trying to get it off, i break the glass so, out to the barn again, get a dirty old varnish stained bowl, clean it up, it doesnt fit!!! now if you have fooled around with a variety of old stuff you will know there is only a couple sizes of these bowls and you can take one off your 30 chevy and put it on your 50 international tractor, and use it again on something else, if you get my point. so, bob made his a little smaller. i ended up carving some of the casting irregularities from the housing, then took a bowl on a belt sander to skin off enough to fit. about 3 hours gone by, but i had a new fuel pump!!..so far its still working---use ford parts when possible...skip

Last edited by cas3; 01-09-2019 at 11:15 PM. Reason: change
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #5
Bored&Stroked

And then . . . after all that . . . many of the 'new' pumps have completely wrong pressure springs in them - so they pump up a lot more pressure than the originals, then your nice new or freshly rebuilt Stromberg 97's puke fuel all over the place - as it can only handle about 2 PSI max.

Then you 'rebuild' your new pump with the springs out of your old pump . . . then you finally give up and have Charlie NY rebuild an old one with new diaphragm materials that will take the modern fuel concoctions! Ask me just HOW I know all these things! LOL
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote