Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #1
Fordestes

Default crab cap for v-8

I see a lot of different number s and color s and prices for a crab cap to fit my ford crab dist, the numbers I see a lot are the red 221B Mallory and the 221mallory , and a few aluminum terminal caps. will the Mallory 221's fit the ford distributor? I know the b May be for a marine engine or mabe a vented or non vented , which cap with brass contacts do I need? a medium priced would be better , but does the red Mallory caps fit also ? and what rotors do I use with a specific cap? Thanks,
Fordestes
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:53 PM   #2
BUBBAS IGNITION

Default Re: crab cap for v-8

When its all said and done the NAPA unit is hard to beat, unless you got to have a color change??
Buy the cap and rotor from the same supplier and confirm clearance of rotor to contact. We usually bump a little off the rotor tip to prevent breakage.
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 09:49 PM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I bought my last couple crab distributor caps from Bob Drake because his cap will work on either the stock Ford crab distributor, or the Harmon Collins dual point, dual coil distributor. However, when these caps are used on a Harmon Collins, some of the cylinder number markings on the exterior of the cap will be incorrect, or out of firing order. The terminals/contacts in these caps are brass.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein

Last edited by JM 35 Sedan; 01-17-2018 at 10:00 PM.
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:40 PM   #4
Fordestes

I don't care about color , I see a lot of look alikes and was wondering which ones will fit ,I want a brass or copper contacts so they will hang with me , not the aluminum replacements I see priced real cheap, some use a 221 number and a Ma 319 I think is what they are calling it , but Napa has what I need then so be it , I didn't know they still serviced the crab caps and rotors , Sounds good to me, Thanks again Bubba.
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote