Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #21
bunnyc

Default Re: Life is too short, use and enjoy your cars

"I spent all my money on women and cars. The rest I just wasted."
anonymous
bunnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:35 PM   #22
holdover

I lived for the day, but also planed for tomorrow. Been blessed with a great professional career which I retired from 8 years ago at 63. Made enough to enjoy life and also save so that I can enjoy life after I no longer worked. Money is not the root of all happiness but it helps. Always been a car guy, and so is my son and now my young grand kids are following right in my footsteps. Have a bunch of newer vehicles, and a classic '65 Mustang FB but drive my A's every chance I can, usually with a grand kid in the passenger seat. Have 3 of them now a '29 coupe, '29 CCPU and the latest addition a '31 AA flatbed. No plans on selling any of them and maybe in the future a Tudor. I may be gone tomorrow, but it has been a great ride. I have met some wonderful people in the Model A community, and for that I am grateful.. Live for today and Happy Motoring!
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #23
Clem Clement

When I lived in Hawaii, I would see seniors getting off their flight from the CONUS, look around and say "Why didn't we do this when we were young" and then say "I need a nap" At that time I was driving a 57 Tbird and a 58 Impy. My bud had an A Fodor
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:17 PM   #24
30Ford

I was going to build my car from the ground up....she was a diamond in the rough ..I started to take it apart and my brother said drive it have some fun ..well my mom was getting up in age and I decided she was going for a drive in it ..so it took a year or so to get it up and running ...well I got her out for a few drives ..she passed at 93 this spring and it was worth all the time I spent on it... I have so much fun in that old car and glad it's not perfect .......Drive them and keep the family close that's all we have
30Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:48 PM   #25
mshmodela

Gee so very sad.. I keep in touch from the very nice Gentleman I purchased my car from. He's got a nice collection of cars and was happy to get updates on his old A.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:21 AM   #26
Wick

About 10 years ago I took my 30 pickup to my stepdads and turned him loose on it,he was 79. He enjoyed that truck everyday until I took the Tudor to him. He loved the Tudor. At 82 he slowed down a bit,so whenever I picked up another A or T I took them buy there.
Best thing I ever did. He Passed at 90. I used to take my Grand Pa for rides in my 51 Studebaker truck, He loved it! My Mom is 87 she rides in my 31 coupe some but it's not a big deal to her. Great Times
Myself...Most know I retired at the end of summer at 56,New shop is almost finished. So far this week,Painted ceiling,took neighbors out on a 30 mile boat ride,went picking and sat. I'm helping tear down a old barn for the Tin roof and wood! Next week the Bicycle gets back out.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:33 AM   #27
Cool Hand Lurker

Do it NOW !
At 75 my son and I went through the Performance Driving Course at Brainerd International Raceway. We had a ball and doing it together was priceless!
Three weeks later I had a heart attack.
Do it NOW !!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BIR-Dusty & Dad.jpg (158.9 KB, 46 views)
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:59 AM   #28
glenn in camino

I moved from the LA/Orange county area to the Northern California foothills about 9 years ago. I built a big heated garage, restored another Model A, and spend most days maintaining my collection. I drive all my Model As regularly and I'm about half done with my 6th Model A restoration. I'm slowing down some, but still having a great time. Life is good.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:34 PM   #29
California Travieso

Send a message via Yahoo to California Travieso

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyc View Post
anonymous
Bunnyc,

That quote was from W.C. Fields.

I'd like add my experience to the topic. My wife bought a Model A Roadster in the early '70's and it sat in our garage. About two years ago she was having lunch with an old friend from high school. My wife mentioned that we were going to restore her A and her friend said "what are you waiting for, we haven't got much time left!" I was 74 and my wife was 71, so we joined the local Model A club in JanuarY 2014. One of the guys from the club came over to look at the car and said "this going to take along time and a lot of money to get it running."

Right then we decided to buy a running car to enjoy. I was lucky to find a car in Orange County and we bought her 29 Roadster on Valentine's day 2014. She was able to dive it for about a year. Unfortunately, her rumatoid arthritis has made it more difficult for her to drive , so for the past year, I hve drivenwhen we go out.

David Serrano
California Travieso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:51 PM   #30
Spokes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brierley View Post
At age 76, 2 years ago, I had a stroke. Long story that I won't bother you with but the point is I've lost 2+ years of driving my A's. Just now getting where I can drive them. Still have hopes of driving at Bonneville again, if only the weather gods cooperate! In the window of my wide-bed I have a sign that says "made of genuine Ford steel, OK to touch" I retired 21 years ago, best thing I ever did! Life has been great and I hope it remains so.
Jim, you are an inspiration to all. Thank you for all you have done for our love of Four Bangers. May you have another 30 yrs. I would love to see you back at Bonneville.
Spokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:25 PM   #31
Ted in MN

Some day we will all die.
All the other days we won't.
Ted in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:32 PM   #32
Jon W

I will never be as young as I am today so I will try to do the things I want to do today.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:15 PM   #33
DParsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
Jim, you are an inspiration to all. Thank you for all you have done for our love of Four Bangers. May you have another 30 yrs. I would love to see you back at Bonneville.
I concur, Jim has done so much for our hobby and is a genuine nice guy!
DParsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:29 PM   #34
Larry Jenkins
BANNED

I'm 84. My 1930 CCPU I am restoring is called "Pea Cup."

My goal for living is 93, which would match my Grandpa's age when he died.

I look at life this way..

Exercise! Pea Cup keeps me pretty busy..
Eat the right stuff
A little red wine
Some dark chocolate
Food with vinegar
Get the proper rest.. Like a short daily nap
Be totally honest.

What's nice about the Pea Cup, two of my kids want it! BUT! They're gonna hafta wait till ole Dad has driven the wheels off of it and lived to be a hundred!

Message? ALWAYS have a positive attitude! Now, who gets Pea Cup?

Larry
Old 01-29-2016, 10:55 PM   #35
ian Simpson

I am not going until I can take it all with me. Until then I will treat every day as the last.
ian Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:18 PM   #36
jeep44

For many, many years I restored old motorcycles, later branching off into WW2 military vehicles like Jeeps. All through that time, my Dad would say "why don't you get a Model A?". I'd always tell him sooner or later I would, but unfortunately, my Dad died unexpectedly before I ever got around to getting one. Now I have three, but almost every time I look at them, I think how nice it would have been if he could have ridden around in one with me.
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 11:56 PM   #37
daveymc29

Friend sold his car several years ago and he got curious about it. He found the current owner and gave them all the information on his car. Today he sent me an email that the owner had gotten the car a couple of months back and he was well pleased with it. Christmas he told his wife they should take it for a ride. They did and she noticed that he looked like he wasn't feeling well. when they returned home he asked her to just sit in the car with him for a bit. They did and he closed his eyes. She thought he had gone to sleep, but he had passed away, just the way he always wanted to, sitting in his Model A.
daveymc29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 12:30 AM   #38
freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyc View Post
anonymous
WC Fields I think.
freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 06:46 AM   #39
brum1

At 53, I have certainly seen enough misfortune to appreciate each day. Best decision was to have a running model a to enjoy and we drive it a lot! Still working very hard and probably too much but need to get the kids through college and on their way. Always good to be reminded the value of today
Old 01-30-2016, 07:21 AM   #40
Aerocraft

My Dad (driving the 40B in the picture) promised himself he would retire at 55. After several postponements, he died still working at 62. Determined, I retired at 55, 25 years ago. My wife promised me she would not let me die until I finished the Model A project. Before I finished the Fordor, bought a '29 Cabriolet to do which isn't done yet. Got another A project lined up to buy -- before I finish the 68A....................

Gar Williams
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote