Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #1
RAS

Default Station wagon build/questions

I think it’s time I share my station wagon build with the fordbarn plus I have a lot of questions. I’ve always wanted a Model A woody wagon but I knew finances were never going to allow for the purchase of an original so I decided to build my own. I don’t want to pass this off as an original but since I’m going to the trouble of making the parts I might as well try to make this look as original as possible. My desire for a woody wagon started a couple of decades ago and the search for parts/information began in earnest a couple of years ago.
Since I wasn’t sure exactly how I was going to build the body I decided to build this body in pine and not glue any of the joints. Once I am confident my dimensions and woodworking capability are up to the task I will disassemble this body and create a bill of materials to purchase the maple, birch, and basswood needed.
P1030712.jpgP1030715.jpg
Above are a couple of pictures of where my build is right now. If you look at my avatar you’ll see a Revell 1/25 scale Model A Woody Wagon model, probably 90% of my dimensions have come from that model.
P1020188.jpgP1030312.jpg
I pretty much started with a frame, a rusty cowl, and my Revell model. I made my own subrail extensions and lower cowl side panels. I wish I was as good as Flop and could photo document what I was doing but most of the time I’m not too sure of what I’m doing until it’s done.
P1030314.jpgP1030377.jpg
I modeled a wood buck from a fordoor rear wheelhouse and then beat the new rear wheelhouse pans out. Later I used a torch to work out any rough spots
I only manage around 10 hours a week to work on my wagon so progress is very slow. I’ll try to update with pictures of what I’ve done at least once a week.

Now for a couple of questions,
If anybody could get me a picture of the metal bracket that attaches the door center post to the floor I would appreciate it. I’m lucky enough to have met someone that has an original 1931 wagon that’s less than an hour away but I hate to keep bugging them.
Door latches, does anybody know if these door latches are used on any other cars, maybe T’s. This picture is taken from the internet but it’s the exact same latch as the 1931 that’s nearby.
1931FordWoody49.jpg
Thanks for your interest
ras
RAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
31 Woody

Default Re: Station wagon build/questions

Your skills are amazing! The wagon is looking great! I was just speaking to a friend today who is putting together a '30 wagon and he did not want to buy a wood kit either. I wouldn't have much choice as my woodworking skills are just not anywhere what would be needed to do what you are doing. Great work!

On the latch, my friend has a similar problem. He was missing one of the four door latches. Today he told me he was able to buy the missing latch from S&S Manufacturing, which is a sister company of Pleasantville Mfg that sells the wood kits. If you need their contact info just reply and I will look it up. My friend had found a latch from another car that was pretty close, but in the end I think he knew to have it look somewhat right he had to do something different,

As for the bracket, I will try and get a picture tomorrow as long as a '31 is the same as what you need. Understand also that it appears a part of the support actually comes from the seat back--which is metal and spans across the car.
Old 05-04-2014, 01:54 AM   #3
ctlikon0712

RAS, nice work! I don't have a pic of the door post bracket as I am working OCONUS. However before you get to far along with those nice looking inner fenders I thought I'd post a pic of my original one’s for you. The middle row jump seats have only three legs and one corner of each seat rests on the protruding flange on the inner wheel well. If you plan on keeping the original seating that might be something you'll want to look at.
I really enjoyed seeing your pics. Keep us posted and If I can I'll help you anyway that I can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1504s.jpg (61.4 KB, 156 views)
Old 05-04-2014, 12:15 PM   #4
John LaVoy

S&S Industries make many of the metal parts for the station wagon.
John LaVoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
woodiewagon46

It is a bit late but the Ntional Woodie Club offers plans for the Model A Ford station wagon.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:57 PM   #6
31 Woody

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
From the back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (44.6 KB, 111 views)
Old 05-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #7
31 Woody

From the front. Tried to upload both in one post but it wouldn't work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (58.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-04-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
glenn in camino

Wow, I'm impressed. Good work. My wagon is one of the 5 prototypes built 12/10/28.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:53 PM   #9
henry's 31

Hi Sir:

You have an incredible wood working ability. I would like to do the same thing in the future, but I will probably purchase the kit from Pleasantville, since I do not have your woodworking ability. Your work looks just like the original!!

Please continue to place updates. I would love to follow your progress.

Henry's 31
henry's 31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 11:14 AM   #10
heneste

I must say that's an excellent build!
Your attention to detail with the limited amount of time you spend on the build really shows your proficiency with wood.

Keep us posted with your progress. It will be nice to see the finished product!

I can try and help out with information as the others have when possible.
heneste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:22 PM   #11
todd3131

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31 Woody View Post
Your skills are amazing! The wagon is looking great! I was just speaking to a friend today who is putting together a '30 wagon and he did not want to buy a wood kit either. I wouldn't have much choice as my woodworking skills are just not anywhere what would be needed to do what you are doing. Great work!

On the latch, my friend has a similar problem. He was missing one of the four door latches. Today he told me he was able to buy the missing latch from S&S Manufacturing, which is a sister company of Pleasantville Mfg that sells the wood kits. If you need their contact info just reply and I will look it up. My friend had found a latch from another car that was pretty close, but in the end I think he knew to have it look somewhat right he had to do something different,

As for the bracket, I will try and get a picture tomorrow as long as a '31 is the same as what you need. Understand also that it appears a part of the support actually comes from the seat back--which is metal and spans across the car.
31 woody,
Can you share a photo of the wood wheels on your woody and some information? I have never seen a wood wheel on a model A before and am
curious about them.
Thanks
Todd 3131
todd3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:36 PM   #12
31 Woody

Todd,
The wheels were a Model A accessory made by Motor Wheel. They are 19" and fit the Model A lug pattern. They use a special lug nut, but otherwise bolt right on. A good picture can be found here:
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...eakfast+orange
And here
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showth...ht=Wood+wheels

Dave
Old 05-06-2014, 11:54 PM   #13
callcoy

Don't you have someone near by that has a woody and the same wheels?
Old 05-08-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
RAS

First thank-you all for your kind words
31 Woody
Thank-you for the bracket pictures, I did not realize the seat bolted to that bracket. I have bought a four door front seat to use in my wagon but I have yet to put it place to see how it fits. Sounds like I need to check that real soon.
Ctlikon0712
I had seen that picture before but not noticed the 3-legged seat. Thank-you for bringing that to my attention. Since you brought that to my attention I started forming the additional pieces. I’m attaching pictures below.
John LaVoy
I’ve gotten some prices from S&S Industries but because of cost that will probably be a last resort.
Woodiewagon46
I purchased a set of drawings from the National Woody Club, those drawings are what gave me the confidence to proceed. The drawings I got used a Dodge cowl and had windows in the doors. I decided I wanted to be more like a traditional Model A. Whoever made those drawings was as much an artist as a draftsperson, I wish I could draw like that. I’m attaching a couple of pages of those drawings in case someone has not seen them
pg1.jpg pg9.jpg

Here's the addition to the wheelwell I’m working on, I still need to add a mounting flange for the wheelhouse and then turn the pattern over to make the drivers side.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030739_1.jpg (54.8 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg P1030750_1.jpg (52.2 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg P1030752_1.jpg (47.1 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg P1030755_1.jpg (71.1 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg P1030757_1.jpg (51.8 KB, 71 views)
File Type: jpg P1030769_1.jpg (62.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg P1030770_1.jpg (52.4 KB, 75 views)
Old 05-08-2014, 10:17 PM   #15
swo4rd

That is Awesome...keep posting views to see.

swoff
swo4rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:08 PM   #16
ctlikon0712

Everything looks great, I am jealous of the progress you are making on yours. Again, keep us posted.
Old 05-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #17
RAS

I have finally completed both rear wheelhouse extensions less drilling holes and riveting to the wheelhouse pans. I’ll wait to do that after I have floor boards installed.
P1030778_1.jpg P1030799_1.jpg
This didn’t seem like much of a post so I included some pictures of when I had one of the doors apart a while back. None of the doors or rear body side panels are permanently fastened. All that holds the panels together are the wood screws fastening the plywood to the door frame. Take the screws out and I can take a door apart in seconds, this will be necessary when I start my bill of materials for my maple and birch body. I also included a couple of pictures showing how I made my mortise and tenons. I don’t have a mortising tool so I just used a forstner bit in the drill press to rough the mortise and then a hand chisel to clean up the mortise. The tenons were all done with a table saw. When I cut the stock to length I used the excess pieces to set the blade height for the tenon cuts. Believe me I’ve made a lot of kindling while working on this project. That’s why I’m practicing in pine. Considering there are 14 mortise and tenons in that door I’ll probably buy a mortising tool before I start my maple body.
ras
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030673_1.jpg (54.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg P1030683_1.jpg (72.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg P1030654_1.jpg (53.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg P1030657_1.jpg (56.4 KB, 52 views)
File Type: jpg P1030660_1.jpg (50.7 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg P1030662_1.jpg (57.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 05-14-2014, 10:37 PM   #18
al's28/33

Beautiful work, I appreciate the artist in you that can take pictures from a book into a 3D automobile!
al's28/33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:47 PM   #19
TonyM

Great Work. I have that Model Kit; I have two of them.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:13 AM   #20
ctlikon0712

RAS, again. That is some very nice work!