Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #21
midgetracer

Default Re: Cold Weather Operation

Two Christmas' ago we took the 29 Tudor out around town looking at Christmas lights. It has a manifold heater. Temp was -20 degrees. We stopped and added battery powered Christmas lights to the exterior. The front seat was ok, but the three people in the rear seat were a bit cold. Only mistake was stopping at Starbucks for hot chocolate. The windshield really fogged up and I had to open the drivers side window to see. We put on 50 miles that night and it is a favorite memory of the family.
midgetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #22
WTSHNN

I was randomly reading the Chicago Service Letters last night and came across this one...

1-17-30
"Cold Weather Starting
In unusually cold weather and when the engine is especially cold, easier starting may be accomplished and less strain put on the battery by disengaging the clutch, as it relieves the starter of the strain of turning the transmission gears in the cold transmission lubricant."
Old 11-11-2019, 08:15 PM   #23
History

I want to say "duh" but I guess they were still learning. I take for granted sometimes what I've learned growing up riding tractors on steep hillsides, driving silage trucks that wouldn't start because the battery was dead and had no brakes. It is a wonder I'm alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTSHNN View Post
I was randomly reading the Chicago Service Letters last night and came across this one...

1-17-30
"Cold Weather Starting
In unusually cold weather and when the engine is especially cold, easier starting may be accomplished and less strain put on the battery by disengaging the clutch, as it relieves the starter of the strain of turning the transmission gears in the cold transmission lubricant."
History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:19 AM   #24
Bill G

I always start the car with the clutch pushed in (disengaged).
Bill G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 04:58 AM   #25
Forddan

MASSACHUSETTS.

I got my 1929 this past January. We didn't have to much snow during December (almost nothing). I took it out of the barn the second Weekend of January 2019. A week later after I got it, for his first ride with me. I never drove a Model A before !! .

It was -11 C (12 F). With nice jackets my wife and I drove 20 miles. After a few miles it was worm inside, but we kept the jackets :-) .

No issues to start or shift at all (had 600W gear oil).

The following week we had a nice snow storm and I have to wait till end of March to drive him again.

Now I have Merola 1500W gear oil. I am waiting a real cold day to see how gear goes.

Cheers
Daniel
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:53 AM   #26
Mike Peters

My uncle Walt bought a 29 Special Coupe new. Come Thanksgiving day here in Southern WI., it turned real cold, and nobody's car would start except for Walt's coupe. So Walt got the job of fetching all the Thanksgiving guests in the morning before the big meal. Old family story I will never forget. One of the reasons I got into Model A's.
I've taken our 28 tudor out in zero weather with manifold heater open full, and nearly froze.
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote