Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2013, 06:06 AM   #1001
Vic Piano

Default Re: What I Did on My Lunch Hour

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatmotor40 View Post
Vic I have an electric fan so it really doesn't come on very much.Sent the crab to Bubba's to get the advance fix since one of the advance springs rusted off.But even with a gasket on cap it still has a little moisture in it from time to time.Just started this this year but i the past couple years didn't do it.It is a Mallory electronic dist so it would not help getting a Pertronix.It cranks if no moisture first touch
I had a Mallory electronic distributor in our '47, it too did not like any hint of moisture. I sent it back to Mallory and the sent me their "new and improved" distributor... Installation of the "new improved" Mallory required the removal of the stock fan so I had to install an electric one. I'm still not happy with the Mallory and I'm planning on converting back to the stock Ford distributor (after I send it to Bubba) with the crab claw cap.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:01 PM   #1002
Vic Piano

My wife was complaining that we haven’t had rain (for the fruit trees) in the last couple of days. I told her, like the line in the Temptations song “I can make rain whenever I want it to” She asked how I could do that and I replied, “its simple, all I have to do is wash one of the cars or leave a convertible parked outside with the top down... the sky will open up and pour rain…!" it works every time. Well, I just finished washing the ’51 F-1 and, sure enough, the sound of thunder and dark clouds in the distance are heading our way…

Old 06-20-2013, 02:30 PM   #1003
Vic Piano

This morning I took the ’51 F-1 out for a short run down to the grocery store. When I fired it up, I noticed that it was a little slow to crank. Once I got out on the road, at around 50 mph I looked at the battery gauge and saw that it was registering 10 volts (this is a 12 volt system)… I turned around, drove back to the house, shut the truck off and tried to start it again, no dice… I did a quick visual check and noticed that the battery wire connection coming out of the generator was rusty. I disconnected the battery, took the battery connection off the generator, cleaned it up with a wire brush and reassembled it. I put a charge on the battery, fired up the truck and at around 1,000 rpm’s the battery gauge was showing 13+ volts. I turned the headlights on and the voltage continued to charge when reved up so, I shut the truck down and hooked up a trickle charger to the battery…. Hopefully the slow charge will replenish the battery and everything will be ok… Now I’m going out to the garage to see if I can scrounge up another generator to have converted to 12 volts and keep it under the seat in the truck… that way I’ll never need to use it…
Old 06-21-2013, 04:54 AM   #1004
flatmotor40

Put a 100 amp 1 wire alternator on it and don't worry
flatmotor40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #1005
Vic Piano

I would do that except, I don't like the way alternators look sitting atop a Flathead intake, kind of like a fish out of water... I've looked at the alternators inside the generator case but, it's hard to convince myself to spend the money they want... I'll stick with the generator set up as it has worked fine (in the truck) for the last eight years. I also have a stock generator (converted to 12 volts) in our '47 Convertible and it has been fine for almost 15 years...
Old 06-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #1006
TomT/Williamsburg

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
I would do that except, I don't like the way alternators look sitting atop a Flathead intake, kind of like a fish out of water... I've looked at the alternators inside the generator case but, it's hard to convince myself to spend the money they want... I'll stick with the generator set up as it has worked fine (in the truck) for the last eight years. I also have a stock generator (converted to 12 volts) in our '47 Convertible and it has been fine for almost 15 years...
I agree that an alternator on a flattie does not look the best - I have a 1-wire unit on my coupe. I don't like it but it's been there for 12 years and THAT I like - no issues and you know I drive it.

I have the powergen on my roadster - yes, it was pricey but it was more of keeping to my theme/time period and the looks of the car that pushed me to it. They do have their purpose but it's like anything else - only you can decide what's best for your vehicle and how you drive it.

Now, with your fleet, and I love every one of them, believe me, one might think taking the alternator path the most desirable. To be truthful, I can't even find a place within 80 miles of me that can properly convert a 6-volt generator no less rebuild a 12-volt one and that also pushed me towards the alt in my coupe and the powergen in my roadster. But, and I can hear someone saying it, if the powergen goes out on my way to bonneville, then what?!

Yep - the age old addage - you either have time or money but not both ....

Any way we run them, whatever config, in whatever vehicle, the flathead definitely has the most love-hate relationships on the planet!
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 08:19 AM   #1007
Vic Piano

Tom, first, I hope you have a super time going out to, being there, and returning from Bonneville! I’m looking forward to seeing you at the Moonshine Festival. Second, you know I drive all of our cars/trucks Flatheads, etc. I'm lucky to have a Generator/Alternator shop about 20 miles from me, they have converted and/or rebuilt several generators and starter motors for me. I just found another generator, (in my stash) that has the wide belt pulley (needed for the '51 F-1) on it. This afternoon I'll run it up to the shop and have them convert it to 12 volts. You know I have a one wire alternator on the LZ; it was on her when I got her... The original generator was in the trunk (along with a bunch of other original parts) so, once I have everything else done to the Zephyr, I'll have the generator converted to 12 volts and put it in its proper place.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:53 AM   #1008
TomT/Williamsburg

Quote:
Tom, first, I hope you have a super time going out to, being there, and returning from Bonneville! I’m looking forward to seeing you at the Moonshine Festival. Second, you know I drive all of our cars/trucks Flatheads, etc. I'm lucky to have a Generator/Alternator shop about 20 miles from me, they have converted and/or rebuilt several generators and starter motors for me. I just found another generator, (in my stash) that has the wide belt pulley (needed for the '51 F-1) on it. This afternoon I'll run it up to the shop and have them convert it to 12 volts. You know I have a one wire alternator on the LZ; it was on her when I got her... The original generator was in the trunk (along with a bunch of other original parts) so, once I have everything else done to the Zephyr, I'll have the generator converted to 12 volts and put it in its proper place.
Vic - honestly, if I had a shop that close to me I would have had my generators all rebuilt to 12 volts and carry 2 spares to go to Bonni with! By the time I drive to the rebuild place and back twice - once to drop it off, the other to pick it up - it's cheaper to buy the powergen!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #1009
Vic Piano

Tom, I found two complete generators for the late '48 to '53 8RT with the wide pulley in my stash along with a bunch of cores and assorted generator parts. I have the '51 F-1 converted to 12 volts and the '53 F-100 Panel is still 6 volts so, I think I'll take both generators up to the shop and have one converted to 12 volts and the other rebuilt as 6 volts.
Old 06-28-2013, 06:40 AM   #1010
Vic Piano

This past week I had to drive up to North Georgia to take care of some business for my mom. While there I took some time to visit my Uncle and we went to see (and play) with his two 8N Ford Tractors.

Here’s a photo of my mom and my uncle on one of the tractors.

And here I am, playing the “Gentleman Farmer” LOL

These tractors are too much fun…
Old 06-28-2013, 08:07 AM   #1011
41ford1

One didn't follow you home did it?
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 AM   #1012
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford1 View Post
One didn't follow you home did it?
Not yet...
Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #1013
bryonhemi

I learned to drive on a Fergusson tractor. A clone of the 8N Ford. Hey Vic! Like the song "She thinks My Tractor's Sexy"
bryonhemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:10 PM   #1014
Vic Piano

Bryon, I've seen references to that song on some "tractor" web sites but I've never heard it... Guess I'll have to go buy a copy.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:44 AM   #1015
Vic Piano

Here's a "Tractor" question. Do any of you know of or have a Woods L306 under mount aka "Belly mower" for an 8N Ford Tractor? Here is a photo of one I found on the internet. As always, help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 AM   #1016
BILL WZOREK

Vic
I don't have one but they are very much in use around here,and have been out there for Quit a while.
BILL WZOREK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:28 AM   #1017
46Merc

Vic
They are common around here for mowing large lawns. They seem to work good.

fyi The tractor in the picture looks to be 8n, but the front hubs are 9n/2n. They made 8n’s with front mount and side mount distributors. The side mount are more desirable in this area.
46Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 AM   #1018
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Merc View Post
Vic
They are common around here for mowing large lawns. They seem to work good.

fyi The tractor in the picture looks to be 8n, but the front hubs are 9n/2n. They made 8n’s with front mount and side mount distributors. The side mount are more desirable in this area.
I did see that the 8N has the wide five wheels on the front; I've seen that on several 8N's but don't know what the reason/advantage is for making the change…
Old 07-02-2013, 05:36 PM   #1019
41ford1

Quote:

Here's a "Tractor" question. Do any of you know of or have a Woods L306 under mount aka "Belly mower" for an 8N Ford Tractor? Here is a photo of one I found on the internet. As always, help is appreciated. Thanks.

You know, I can see you on that with a straw hat and a big cigar!!
41ford1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #1020
TomT/Williamsburg

Careful you don't light that straw hat on fire!