Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-02-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
thom

Default door lock & handle questions

I had planned to remove the outside door handle and rumble seat handle from our '28 Sport Coupe, and take them to the local locksmith tomorrow. But, I was not able to get the door handle off. I removed the screws above and below the handle but it still will not slide out. What am I missing?
Also, on the drivers side, the sliding lock knob locks and unlocks the door by being moved only a few thousandths of an inch, although the slot in the panel is approx 1/2" long. I have not yet removed either door panel because I can't tell what type hidden fasteners are holding them on. I guess I'll just have to go for it and pop one off and hope for the best, or take the car to a local upholstery shop and have them remove a panel for me.
I'm sure the procedure for locking the car is to lock the drivers door with the inside knob, then slide across, exit on the passenger side, and lock that door with the key, correct? Thanks.

Last edited by thom; 10-02-2019 at 09:50 PM.
thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
thom

Default Re: door lock & handle questions

OK, I found a video on rebuilding (?) door locks that talked about turning the handle a quarter turn and pulling. Maybe that's what I didn't do?

Ok, that done it. I got the handle out but it must be a reproduction because there are no numbers on the square shaft. My ignition switch is not an original pop-out style and the key for it will fit into the door handle but won't turn the cylinder. I will take the door and rumble seat handle, along with a switch key to the locksmith and see if they can rekey the handles to work with the existing switch key.

Last edited by thom; 10-02-2019 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:34 PM   #3
thom

Ok, I'll reply to my own post again. Last night, after I got the RH outer door handle off, I tried my switch key in it again. No go, but the switch key did fit the rumble seat handle. This morning I stopped by the local hardware and had two duplicates made of the one and only switch key that I had. The duplicate key works in both the door and the rumble seat handle, but not in the switch.
Strange. At least now we can lock the car, but then how secure can a car with a soft top ever be , right? One could simply cut a hole in the top, reach in and unlock a door easily
enough.
Old 10-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
Forddan

I wrap a chain around the steering wheel and column. I believe, that will discourage any one that would like to steal the car in a parking lot.

Beside the car I do not leave anything of real value inside, beside some basic tools, Jack and parts for emergency that are in the trunk that is always open :-)
Forddan is offline   Reply With Quote