Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #1
Brian

Default How do I fix this??

You may recall a while back I posted about issues with the main bearings on my Scat 221 4" stroke crankshaft. I fixed that little problem, posted on here, advised Scat; they didn't want to know!
Well, during a mock up assembly yet another problem has surfaced. I honestly don't know how to fix this.....Look at the photos; these are shots of numbers 1 and 5 cylinders. No, the rods are not bent; they are NOS 21A conrods. The crankpins on the crank have been ground on a different centre to the cylinders, consequently, the rods are hard over one side. I cannot run it like this; what to do?
I know what I'd like to do with that crank, and it wouldn't be pretty!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1030374.JPG (144.4 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg P1030375.JPG (159.7 KB, 207 views)
File Type: jpg P1030378.JPG (168.7 KB, 202 views)
File Type: jpg P1030379.JPG (172.6 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg P1030380.JPG (168.4 KB, 199 views)

Last edited by Brian; 12-01-2017 at 08:14 PM. Reason: forgot pix
Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #2
super flat

Default Re: How do I fix this??

Brian no pictures showing. Gary
Old 12-01-2017, 08:13 PM   #3
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Need to post the photos.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:22 PM   #4
robert dick

showing up ok here-- what does Scat say /
robert dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #5
JSeery
Member Emeritus

They're showing up now.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #6
34pickup

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Is Scat one of those Chinese made cranks?
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #7
A bones

Gary, on Long Island, only chooses Eagle crank, and Scat rods. Only, other wise too much modification for clearance, and balance. Sorry, you are in a jam.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:07 PM   #8
Brian

"Is Scat one of those Chinese made cranks?"

Definition;
scat3
skat/
noun
noun: scat; plural noun: scats
  1. droppings, especially those of carnivorous mammals.
    "fresh bear scat"

Origin

1950s: from Greek skōr, skat- ‘dung’.

Which means it is SHIT!!
Old 12-01-2017, 09:29 PM   #9
GOSFAST

Hi Brian, difficult to tell from the photos without actually having the unit in front of you but it appears the crank is not located correctly front-to-rear in the block??

If you look at all the rods are they all "off" in the same direction, is it right and left banks, or is it random??

The "fix" to at least that problem to make it work isn't that difficult but the rods and piston must be separated. You could "side-grind" the pin ends. We do this occasionally on the belt sander! You just need to be real careful not to "upset" the pin bushing!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. What exactly was the main brg issue??? We don't use Scat cranks (for other reasons) but we do use their rods. This isn't your issue though.
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #10
Binx

Here is Brian's earlier problem with the crank...

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226600

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 09:59 PM   #11
Binx

[QUOTE=GOSFAST;1559751]Hi Brian, difficult to tell from the photos without actually having the unit in front of you but it appears the crank is not located correctly front-to-rear in the block??

If you look at all the rods are they all "off" in the same direction, is it right and left banks, or is it random??

The "fix" to at least that problem to make it work isn't that difficult but the rods and piston must be separated. You could "side-grind" the pin ends. We do this occasionally on the belt sander! You just need to be real careful not to "upset" the pin bushing!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

Why do you think this happens? Crank or pistons?

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:44 AM   #12
Brian

Thanks,
Gary; to try and answer your questions; There is a definite pattern, inasmuch as all conrods are closer to the rear of the piston boss. The worst one is as pictured, cyl's 1 & 5, where the clearance is 0.020" at the back. How much is the least amount of clearance I could get away with? I could ,as you suggest, grind a bit off of the small end, but, Geeze, I shouldn't have to!
I think I can get away with all the other cylinders; minimum clearance on the rest would be 0.080".
Lonnie,: this is definitely a crank issue.
Incidentally, the pistons I ordered as specials from Ross, 4" stroke 3 3/16" bore flat tops. Same as 49-53 Merc but with flat tops not domed. It wasn't until I went to do the initial mock up, that I realised they hadn't machined inside the gudgeon bosses, and the conrods wouldn't fit. I was at work until midnight last night machining the required clearances. I notified them of their oversight, they said 'sorry'. At least that is a [ever so slightly] better response than I got from Scat when I told them about the main bearing issue. I need to follow Tony's suggestion from that earlier thread, I am over building these old things!! Too much agro, things were so much easier when I was young and knew nothing!!
Old 12-02-2017, 07:16 AM   #13
chap52

There is an advantage to "knowing nothing", you never have to wonder what you forgot...
chap52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 07:58 AM   #14
GOSFAST

Quote:
Why do you think this happens? Crank or pistons?

Lonnie
Difficult to tell at this point? I would suspect the crank, but it's not really fair to without actually measuring it! Could be a whole bunch causes or it could simply be "stacked-tolerances", this happens when the mfr's make the pieces!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Thanks,
Gary; to try and answer your questions; There is a definite pattern, inasmuch as all conrods are closer to the rear of the piston boss. The worst one is as pictured, cyl's 1 & 5, where the clearance is 0.020" at the back. How much is the least amount of clearance I could get away with? I could ,as you suggest, grind a bit off of the small end, but, Geeze, I shouldn't have to!
I think I can get away with all the other cylinders; minimum clearance on the rest would be 0.080".
Lonnie,: this is definitely a crank issue.
Incidentally, the pistons I ordered as specials from Ross, 4" stroke 3 3/16" bore flat tops. Same as 49-53 Merc but with flat tops not domed. It wasn't until I went to do the initial mock up, that I realised they hadn't machined inside the gudgeon bosses, and the conrods wouldn't fit. I was at work until midnight last night machining the required clearances. I notified them of their oversight, they said 'sorry'. At least that is a [ever so slightly] better response than I got from Scat when I told them about the main bearing issue. I need to follow Tony's suggestion from that earlier thread, I am over building these old things!! Too much agro, things were so much easier when I was young and knew nothing!!
Hi Brian, it really would be nice to know the EXACT cause and not guess at it, but that's difficult right now! Easiest way to check crank would be to compare it dimensionally to the original, not all that difficult. I would say maybe the pistons but not likely because chances are it would not be a one-sided issue, it would be where the rod-eye was tight on both sides!

On a side note, this is an issue that wouldn't even be noticeable with the H-beam rods, the rod eyes are a bit narrower than the OEM ones!

Anyway, "Good Luck" with your fix, should be OK in the end!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. About 15 or 20 years ago we got an $1800.00 4340 Lunati BBC stroker crank in the door for a build. When I first removed it from the box the rear thrust flange "wall" caught my eye, it looked overly thin. Layed it in a block with some brgs and EVERY counterweight side was hitting the main webs, crank was too far forward in the block. Lunati asked no questions (we knew Joe really well), sent a replacement with a "call-tag", and took care of it all. The crank was definitely "defective"! The rear thrust is the "datum point" for the crank machining, it determines where the rest of the crank sits front-to-rear in the block!
Old 12-02-2017, 09:56 AM   #15
KiWinUS

Brian , Mike at H&H built an engine similar to yours earlier this year using the same crank as you. I believe he used the Scat rods also & that would possibly overcome the situation you have right now. He did tell me that a few other mods had to be made to the crank to get it to work in block . I am not sure what but did tell me if I purchased one of these cranks he would tell how to make it work & that it was no big deal. Maybe it would be worth a call to Mike .
Cheers
Tony
KiWinUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:04 AM   #16
flatjack9

Why would you buy a crank knowing it was not right and would need to be modified?
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Why would you buy a crank knowing it was not right and would need to be modified?
Same as any other early Ford part, because of limited sources.
Old 12-02-2017, 12:31 PM   #18
Brian

None of the conrods are centred in any of the pistons. The worst 'set' is as I pictured, with only .020" clearance. I still have the milling machine set up from when I machined the piston bosses, so could take a bit more off of the two pistons on one side, alternatively could take a bit off of the side of the small end of the conrods. Which would be preferable? I ask again- what is the minimum side clearance required?
Old 12-02-2017, 01:05 PM   #19
GOSFAST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
None of the conrods are centred in any of the pistons. The worst 'set' is as I pictured, with only .020" clearance. I still have the milling machine set up from when I machined the piston bosses, so could take a bit more off of the two pistons on one side, alternatively could take a bit off of the side of the small end of the conrods. Which would be preferable? I ask again- what is the minimum side clearance required?
Hi Brian, on higher HP units you would want .060", I believe you could get by on the Flatheads with a .040" minimum.

Having said that, if you're going to make a correction just take it right to .060".

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. During the course of working with almost ALL crank mfr's, from the budget pieces (Eagle/Scat, both Chinese) up to the "Made-in-the-USA" high-end ones, we see many pitfalls with most. Recently had one hell of a time balancing a fairly expensive Crower shaft. Ended up welding our own flange to the existing flywheel flange on the Crower. I called out there and really complained, they didn't care at all and said "if you don't want the crank send it back". Definitely not fair to the end customer??
Old 12-02-2017, 02:01 PM   #20
Brian

Hi Gary, Thank you. It is morning here, I've thought on this and decided I'd machine another .040" off the one boss of each piston to give me a .060" clearance. Just came on here and you've verified that figure, so thank you!
Knowing now what I do, I'd have been better off in all respects if I'd purchased a genuine 49-53 Merc crank, and machined it to suit my early block application. Hindsight, ain't it great?!!