Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-26-2017, 10:47 PM   #1
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Default Over-whelmed project...

How many have just been so over-whelmed with their project in restoring a Model A/AA Ford that they gave up OR know someone who has?

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Over-whelmed project...

I think that is a very common scenario. How often have we seen cars for sale already disassembled, like they have done you a favour when what they mean to say is "I'm never going to get this done." or "I bit off more than I can chew". Sometimes a car will go through several pairs of hands that way before someone who knows what they are doing buys it but the risk is that each time it changes hands, parts are lost
Old 04-26-2017, 11:53 PM   #3
TRP

I dream of finding one of those for sale at a reasonable price!
TRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:27 AM   #4
harleytoprock

Or some times people just accumulate too many projects, at a faster rate, then they can finish them.
harleytoprock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:39 AM   #5
JDupuis

A friend of has a 1918? Gray-Dort. It had been disassembled for more than 40 years, and changed hands numerous times as well. The car was never re-assemble till my friend heard of the car, purchased it, tracked down all the interm owners gathering all the parts along the way. The car has been re-assembled for more then 10 years now and driven lots. Still not restored, left in preserved state.
Happy Ending for a rare car. Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (56.6 KB, 126 views)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
Special Coupe Frank

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Not just Model A's, Steve...
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:41 AM   #7
Pinesdune

I've bought three basket cases so far, one started in the 70's, the other 20 years ago, and a bug project from the 90's, happens a lot IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pinesdune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #8
pgerhardt

I think the key is to not make artificial deadlines for yourself. and remember it is not a race - take it slow. Break the total restoration down into small jobs that can be completed within a day to a week at the most. That way you get satisfaction and a sense of progress with the completion of each job.

My job today was to route the wires and get the electric wipers working on my 29 tudor. When that one job was done I was happy, quit for the day, and went kayaking. (Yes I am retired.)

The next job will be get the signal lights working, but that is for another day!
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:28 PM   #9
Dick Steinkamp

I believe failed projects outnumber completed ones. I've done probably more than 40 projects (all kinds of vintage cars) in the last 15 years. Many of them were failed projects purchased for about 10 cents on the dollar the seller had into them.

That's not a criticism of those that don't complete their projects. Life changes, finances change, interests change.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:38 PM   #10
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDupuis View Post
A friend of has a 1918? Gray-Dort. It had been disassembled for more than 40 years, and changed hands numerous times as well. The car was never re-assemble till my friend heard of the car, purchased it, tracked down all the interm owners gathering all the parts along the way. The car has been re-assembled for more then 10 years now and driven lots. Still not restored, left in preserved state.
Happy Ending for a rare car. Jeff
What's the story with the position of the steering wheel??
Old 04-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

Probably a Fat Wheel
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 07:48 PM   #12
pj's junkers

Send a message via Yahoo to pj's junkers

I meant Fat Man wheel
pj's junkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:24 PM   #13
JDupuis

Ding ding ding...!! Correct. Fat man steering wheel. Jeff
Old 04-27-2017, 08:29 PM   #14
Gunmetal blue2

I started a restore job, now have built two different building and moved but I done this to help remember how things went back together. http://s737.photobucket.com/user/1929oldlady/library/
Gunmetal blue2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 08:37 PM   #15
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania

From time to time in these parts, partially restored Model A Ford "project cars" show up for sale locally. It's usually a situation of the thing being acquired by a close relative as inherited. The son has no interest in it and just wants the garage space for the wife's car.

Not too far from here, there has been off and on for sale for the past three-years a late (indented firewall) 1931 Ford Sport Coupe. The chassis looks to be all done along with work on the body also complete. That body is primer and off sitting on saw horses. Price was down to $5,500 U.S.D or best. Seems to be little interest these days in restoring cars.

Was thinking of buying that heap and swapping the Sport Coupe body onto my running driving Tudor sedan. Would then sell off the rest of the bought car with it's title. All needed would be coupe/roadster rear fenders. After some consideration, the idea floated away for various reasons with high emphasis being lackluster general interest on my part. Nowadays, a Model A Ford to me is the real deal no matter which body type is mounted on the chassis. They all sound, drive and smell the same.

At this point in life at least for me . . . just want to hop into a vehicle, start the thing up and drive it someplace. Turn key is the key!

Last edited by Capt Quahog; 04-27-2017 at 09:02 PM.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #16
G&N Farms

I tried to buy a basket case a few years ago. It was a 36 Ford that was taken apart to be painted and sat for 20 years. The owner was 65/70 years old and not in too good of shape. He wanted 80 grand because he saw one on TV go for that much. I think a lot think they have gold and the car sits because of no talent, money or place to rebuild one.

To me, I'm an ex-auto mechanic who loves the work. After repairing High-Tech Luxury imports, I really like/enjoy the working on low tech cars. I just bought a 69 disassembled ex-drag car that needs a total resurrection. I can't wait.

I think people buy basket cases because of the cost and then find out it's cheaper to buy a running car. To me the hobby IS the build.

good topic.
G&N Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #17
Ed in Maine

From experience I found that you have to do something no matter how little every day. Back in 1982 I purchased a 1932 five window coupe disassembled with a new in box LaBaron interior for $3500. I was working, young family but tried to do something each day. It wasn't back on the road restored until 2006. It is like driving a new 1932 Ford. Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote