Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 PM   #1
thirt4

Default DMV / MVD issues

I know none of you have ever had this sort of a problem at your local DMV / MVD office... have you?? HA
I got the title to my coupe switched over to AZ from my home state and the little know it all dolly at the desk knew "exactly what you need".
So she typed up the paperwork, took my cash and out the door I went fat, dumb and happy.
It was not until today that I read the title. Some how, the ditz listed my 3 window coupe as a "2DSB". That would be a Two Door, "Slant Back".
To my knowledge, and I have precious little knowledge to begin with, the term "Slant Back" was not used by Henry Ford. The term became popular when the younger set had no clue what they were looking at, as example, the 1961 Chevrolet "Bubble Top". The bubble tops were either concept cars from the factories or custom features by guys like George Barris.
Am I wrong when I plan to go back and argue my case?
Also, weren't ALL 3 and 5 window Ford coupes in the 1930's 2 door cars?

When I went online this evening to see what I could find, this is what I came up with about the 1934 Ford:

The 1934 Ford Model B was manufactured between 1932 and 1934. The 1934 edition featured a high-performance engine, stylish looks and many of the options. The car was available in a variety of body styles including the three-window Coupe, the five-window Coupe, the Cabriolet, the Fordor, the Phaeton, the Station Wagon and the Victoria. But it was the Tudor body style that impressed people the most -- it even prompted Bonnie and Clyde to write a thank-you letter to Henry Ford for making such a 
“dandy car.”

Are the 1934 Ford 3 window coupes, tudor sedans, etc. in the "Model B" family? I thought I was told once many years ago (in the '50's) that the Model B was a car that was right after the Model A's, and possibly only the 4 cylinder 1932 sedan models.

Anyone with knowledge on these questions that might keep me out of trouble with the folks at the DMV / MVD when I march in there?

Thank you.

thirt4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:26 AM   #2
BLACKNRED

Default Re: DMV / MVD issues

33 and 34 are model 40 for both 4 and 8 cylinder.

the 4 cyl engine is denoted as a Model B

32 V8 is Model 18
32 4Cyl is Model B

please correct me I am always willing to learn.

re your description on your "registration", where we are all open cars get listed as Tourer and all closed cars are listed as sedan or wagon, commercial vehicles are listed separately.
BLACKNRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 04:21 AM   #3
51 MERC-CT

Probably no big deal, Just hope she wasn't giving her opinion of your car --
( 2 door 'Sxxt Box' )
Old 02-03-2015, 08:06 AM   #4
jimTN

States usually have their own designations and abreviations for them and make what ever is being titled fit them. I titled a jeep that came out 41 2dr 4whd. It takes an act of congress to get them to change a description so if the serial no/vin is correct and description descriptive, be glad you got a title.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
TJ

Go back and ask exactly what the coding means. Unless you know for sure that their coding means 2 door slantback you may be making assumptions that are wrong. Ask questions and if the coding is not correct ask politely for the correct coding for your car. If the person at the window is not helping ask for a supervisor. Be polite and go armed with all the information you can find to show them your car is a "such and such". Don't "march in there". Marching in there with an attitude will get you nowhere. You are not in control when you are in their territory.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
alanwoodieman

I have registered two 4 cylinder 41 pick up trucks. with the short seriel numbers I had to bring proof that such an truck existed. Every person in the DMV office has a different opion, much like the IRS--you can't get a straight answer to anything. be glad that your seriel number is correct!
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:28 PM   #7
blucar

I think you will be wasting your time trying to get the DMV/MVD to recognize/classify your vehicle with a terminology that is more consistent with the designation that Ford and/or the manufacture gave it.
When I purchased my '36 Ford in 1952, I lived in Idaho, the registration/title said 2dr Dlx Cpe. When I moved to Nevada in '54, Nevada used the same designation on the title/reg. When I moved to California in '56 my coupe became, BSCPE, I objected, which got me nowhere, I asked if I could retain the Nevada registration so that I would have prove that the car was in fact a 2dr Dlx Cpe. I was told no! (No such thing as a copy machine in 1956)..
The registration since 1956 has shown the car to be a BSCPE. My '57 Ford T-Bird is classified as a conv by the DMV, figure that one out, it is not a convertible, true it has a hard top that it removable, however it does not fold.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:14 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

So are we talking titles or registration here? You have to register a car in the state you are in, but why would you have to change the title? The only time I have ever had to redo a title was when a car was bought or sold. Do some states require you to change the title each time you move?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:44 PM   #9
itslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
So are we talking titles or registration here? You have to register a car in the state you are in, but why would you have to change the title? The only time I have ever had to redo a title was when a car was bought or sold. Do some states require you to change the title each time you move?
He's transferring the car from his "home state" to Arizona. New title required.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:01 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by itslow View Post
He's transferring the car from his "home state" to Arizona. New title required.
That's what I was asking, never heard of having to transfer a title to your home state, registration yes, but title? Sounds strange to me. I have several cars title in Kansas and registered in Florida. I have been buying car locally in Kansas for my kids (there money, I'm just the agent) and they register them in the states they live in. Why would you have to move the title?
Old 02-03-2015, 02:46 PM   #11
V12Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSeery View Post
That's what I was asking, never heard of having to transfer a title to your home state, registration yes, but title? Sounds strange to me. I have several cars title in Kansas and registered in Florida. I have been buying car locally in Kansas for my kids (there money, I'm just the agent) and they register them in the states they live in. Why would you have to move the title?
So the new state can get it's transfer fee or sales tax.
V12Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:38 PM   #12
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12Bill View Post
So the new state can get it's transfer fee or sales tax.
I would agree, but think they would get most of that with the registration. Anyway, I have never had to transfer a title with a move, just seemed odd to me. Not a big deal but odd. There are a lot of odd differences between states on titles. I know in some states (like Texas) if someone has a lean on you car they hold the title. In Kansas the owner hold the title and a lean holder is listed on the front. You have to have the lean hold clear a title to sell it, but you hold the physical title.
Old 02-03-2015, 07:01 PM   #13
1931 flamingo

Personally I'd be thrilled to death that the "transfer" was that easy.
Do you still have your original paper work from your home state??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:34 PM   #14
thirt4

No, the "nice lady" took it away from me. I asked why and she said "we have to shred it".
Why? There will never be another car with this VIN.... I hope.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #15
Straightpipes

I think she misspelled it. Should be 2DRSD. My 35 is registered as a 2DRSD because NY DMV computers do not know what a coupe is.

That's nothing....My 46' Willys Jeep is registered as an AMC.........

I have a Whippet. Lord knows what they will come up with for that!!
Straightpipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 02:12 AM   #16
thirt4

My dear old Dad, (may he rest in peace), used to say that "Whippet" is what you yelled when you were riding in one of those makes of cars.

He would say that you would hang your butt out the window and yell, "WHIPPET"!

Well, that is what he used to say rest his soul. Indeed he was one of the Great Generation and I loved him.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:06 PM   #17
blucar

The majority of the Western States, CA, Idaho, Nevada, Montana, and Utah, to name a few, have during my lifetime issued titles and registration on motor vehicles. When you move from one state to another, generally within a few days and you become employed, the out of state registration/title must be turned in..
It is not a matter of revenue as has been stated, it is a legal requirement...
From my experience, if a vehicle has a lien on it, i.e., a loan via a bank, etc., transfer of the title is not required because as a general rule the title is held by the lender until the vehicle is paid for.
Many eastern, southern and mid western states did not issue or require titles before about 1974..
Alabama is/was one of those states.. Several years ago I had a notarized Bill of Sale from Alabama, the VIN/serial numbers on the vehicle did not match the numbers on the Bill of Sale, the only thing that notarizing did was to certify that the person that signed the Bill of Sale was the person that signed the Bill of Sale..
Old 02-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #18
flatjack9

Wisconsin requires a Wisconsin title. When I got my 32, the title said 3 dr coupe. So when I went to apply for my title, I told them it was a 2 door coupe. They said sorry, the State does not recognize that as a valid description. So my title ways 3 dr coupe. Go figure.
flatjack9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:26 AM   #19
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatjack9 View Post
Wisconsin requires a Wisconsin title. When I got my 32, the title said 3 dr coupe. So when I went to apply for my title, I told them it was a 2 door coupe. They said sorry, the State does not recognize that as a valid description. So my title ways 3 dr coupe. Go figure.
2 doors and a trunk door??
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 12:39 PM   #20
jimmothershead

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirt4 View Post
I know none of you have ever had this sort of a problem at your local DMV / MVD office... have you?? HA
I got the title to my coupe switched over to AZ from my home state and the little know it all dolly at the desk knew "exactly what you need".
So she typed up the paperwork, took my cash and out the door I went fat, dumb and happy.
It was not until today that I read the title. Some how, the ditz listed my 3 window coupe as a "2DSB". That would be a Two Door, "Slant Back".
To my knowledge, and I have precious little knowledge to begin with, the term "Slant Back" was not used by Henry Ford. The term became popular when the younger set had no clue what they were looking at, as example, the 1961 Chevrolet "Bubble Top". The bubble tops were either concept cars from the factories or custom features by guys like George Barris.
Am I wrong when I plan to go back and argue my case?
Also, weren't ALL 3 and 5 window Ford coupes in the 1930's 2 door cars?

When I went online this evening to see what I could find, this is what I came up with about the 1934 Ford:

The 1934 Ford Model B was manufactured between 1932 and 1934. The 1934 edition featured a high-performance engine, stylish looks and many of the options. The car was available in a variety of body styles including the three-window Coupe, the five-window Coupe, the Cabriolet, the Fordor, the Phaeton, the Station Wagon and the Victoria. But it was the Tudor body style that impressed people the most -- it even prompted Bonnie and Clyde to write a thank-you letter to Henry Ford for making such a 
“dandy car.”

Are the 1934 Ford 3 window coupes, tudor sedans, etc. in the "Model B" family? I thought I was told once many years ago (in the '50's) that the Model B was a car that was right after the Model A's, and possibly only the 4 cylinder 1932 sedan models.

Anyone with knowledge on these questions that might keep me out of trouble with the folks at the DMV / MVD when I march in there?

Thank you.
thirt4
What happened ?
Did you open up a can of worms or ??
Jim, 410 535 1933, 410 535 1932
jimmothershead is offline   Reply With Quote