Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-30-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
ford38v8

Default Manny, Moe & Jack

Sold out. Pep Boys has been bought by a damn corporation. Is there nothing sacred? I guess 800 million trumps anything sacred after all.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: Manny, Moe & Jack

I worked for them when I was in college(1963-65).Lakewood,Calif store.Stromberg 97's on sale were $3.75.Chrome reversed 48 merc wheels on sale $10.Moe was still alive.Those were the days.

Last edited by deuce lover; 02-01-2012 at 12:26 PM.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Vic Piano

The Pep Boys here in the Tampa Bay area remind me of Wally World... When I was a teenager on Long Island, there were no Pep Boys stores so the Wally World vision is the only one I have... I won't shop there.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:13 AM   #4
Barry-ct

THe ones up here in Conn. are really bad. I wouldn't let my worst enemy get a car fixed by them. All hacks!! Very dishonest policies towards customers. THey just keep throwing parts at the car until something sticks................ Thier parts are garbage also. WE got alot of business fixing thier mistakes.

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
The Pep Boys here in the Tampa Bay area remind me of Wally World... When I was a teenager on Long Island, there were no Pep Boys stores so the Wally World vision is the only one I have... I won't shop there.
I feel the same ,they sell a little of everything but the last time I tried to find a fuel line fitting they didn't have any but they did have a minibike and a remote control car.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM   #6
Vic Piano

Where is Callahan, Fl, anywhere near Ocala or Tampa? We're having the annual "Barner's Bash" the weekend of March 16th - 18th. We'll be in Ocala on the 16th to tour NPD's antique auto collection (2:00pm) is the scheduled time. Friday night we'll join the Billetproof crown at the Nowhere Bar in Ocala for the kickoff of Billetproof at Don Garlits Museum on Saturday (if you want to show your car at the Billetproof show you have to register with them, Google Billetproof, Tampa 2012). On Sunday we'll be at Fred Howard Park, on the Gulf of Mexico, in Tarpon Springs for the BBQ and Raffle. The Bash is open to all, hope you can make it. Vic
Old 01-31-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
Mike51Merc

The last one I visited was the LAST one I ever visit. Not a real parts store, more like a costume jewelry store for your car and a cornucopia of universal-fit generic replacement parts. Oh, and plenty of cheap Chinese-built minibikes, which I'll never understand.

Sold to a corporation? I may not have been paying attention, but has this been a mom and pop shop all these years? I doubt it.
Mike51Merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
paul2748

They won't be around much longer. The investment co's are scavengers. They will bleed the company dry and then declare bankruptcy leaving 100's of vendors high and dry.
paul2748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:23 PM   #9
ford38v8

I didn't mean to give the impression that it was a great auto supply, only to show that the corporate buyout of yet another privately owned retailer is bad news for all of us. When was the last time you saw a real hardware store that didn't have the identical stuff that all the rest had? Ace Hardware isn't all that bad, but I do miss the good old cracker barrel hardware stores. I'd gladly drive 50 miles to find a genuine hardware store, but I'd pass 35 Ace Hardwares before I got there.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
Jay Ess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford38v8 View Post
I didn't mean to give the impression that it was a great auto supply, only to show that the corporate buyout of yet another privately owned retailer is bad news for all of us.
Pep Boys has not been a privately owned company since it was taken public in 1946 (PBY on the NYSE). It is now being taken private.

Jay Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 11:11 PM   #11
tdlmomowers

Stopped at Pep Boys one day because they were close to home. I needed a spark plug for my Briggs engine in the tractor. They claimed they could not look up the part number on their computor. They couldn't find their Champion Plug Book, so I left and went to real parts store, NAPA.
tdlmomowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 06:27 AM   #12
Fibber Mcgee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Piano View Post
Where is Callahan, Fl, anywhere near Ocala or Tampa? We're having the annual "Barner's Bash" the weekend of March 16th - 18th. We'll be in Ocala on the 16th to tour NPD's antique auto collection (2:00pm) is the scheduled time. Friday night we'll join the Billetproof crown at the Nowhere Bar in Ocala for the kickoff of Billetproof at Don Garlits Museum on Saturday (if you want to show your car at the Billetproof show you have to register with them, Google Billetproof, Tampa 2012). On Sunday we'll be at Fred Howard Park, on the Gulf of Mexico, in Tarpon Springs for the BBQ and Raffle. The Bash is open to all, hope you can make it. Vic
Callahan is northwest of Jacksonville about 100 miles from Ocala.I'll have to check into getting down there.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
Vic Piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
Callahan is northwest of Jacksonville about 100 miles from Ocala.I'll have to check into getting down there.
Drive the '41 and join the fun!
Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
John Kennedy

I don't use them. Walmart neither. I shop local when I can.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
JM 35 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fibber Mcgee View Post
Fibber, I hope you can make this year's Barner's Bash. We would like to meet you and also get to see that '41! Mike, one of Vic's club members who also has a '41, would probably go gah gah over your '41 and so would everyone else. Come on down!!

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #16
frederic

Yea I grew up in a hardware (old time) with everything. Learned a lot from those who worked there and shopped there. Then "Cotter" convinced the owner "corporate retail" was the way to go and "Ace" was not far behind. What's happening to the World ??

Frederic
frederic is offline   Reply With Quote