Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2024, 07:44 AM   #1
CatMan1

Default Did I Goof.....?

I was putting off last year changing the gas valve. It had started to leak, not shut off completely. I hadn't driven the car since last fall sometime. Yesterday we drained the 2 gallons of gas and changed the valve. Everything went back together fine. We even cleaned out the sediment bowl, which had a decent amount of fine sediment in it. No leaks so we filled the tank and went for a drive across town. No issues. Drove back and then going up a hill it began acting fuel starved and then would straighten out.....for a bit. It's always possible it is from setting for such a time, but I don't use Ethanol and I most likely put Stabil in. It's possible I got bad gas. How can I tell if there is water in the gas? The other possibility, and more likely so, is that I forgot to buy and install one of those little screens in the tank above the valve. The old valve had a raised tube on it, but the new one doesn't. I guess it's back to the drawing board. Probably shouldn't have topped it off.......
CatMan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 08:06 AM   #2
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Did I Goof.....?

Because you removed the glass bowl to clean it, during re-assembly you may have tightened the "tulip" nut too much and too soon, blocking air from entering to make the gravity feed fuel system operable. Loosen that nut until fuel runs over the top of the sediment glass bowl, and then re-tighten the nut. Go for a test drive.
Also, yesterday was hot and humid in Iowa. Loosen the gas cap and see if that helps. Turn the cap over to ensure you have a gas cap and not a radiator cap. They interchange for fit, but have different functions. The gas cap has a small hole for a vent; the radiator cap doesn't. You MUST have a vent in the gas cap in order for the fuel to flow to the carb, especially in hot, humid weather. A clogged vent hole or no vent hole will create the symptoms you describe.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 08:38 AM   #3
Harpkatt

Water in the gas is pretty easy to tell if you have a glass sediment bowl. It'll appear cloudy in the bowl. But your symptoms could match. Make sure you drain the bowl on the carb as well. You can feel the fuel will be a little more slippery than normal. Be careful working with gasoline.
Harpkatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 09:06 AM   #4
Big hammer

When I think that I’ve purchased bad gas, spit and sputter after , I put some gas line drier in the gas tank, following the instructions of the gas line drier’s manufacturer . It hasn’t happened to me often, but it happens!
Old 06-17-2024, 09:07 AM   #5
Banditorama

That missing screen is causing your issue, I had the same problem.
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 09:13 AM   #6
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
Because you removed the glass bowl to clean it, during re-assembly you may have tightened the "tulip" nut too much and too soon, blocking air from entering to make the gravity feed fuel system operable. Loosen that nut until fuel runs over the top of the sediment glass bowl, and then re-tighten the nut. Go for a test drive.
Also, yesterday was hot and humid in Iowa. Loosen the gas cap and see if that helps. Turn the cap over to ensure you have a gas cap and not a radiator cap. They interchange for fit, but have different functions. The gas cap has a small hole for a vent; the radiator cap doesn't. You MUST have a vent in the gas cap in order for the fuel to flow to the carb, especially in hot, humid weather. A clogged vent hole or no vent hole will create the symptoms you describe.
Marshall

I should say this is a '28 and has the steel sediment bulb or bowl. Not sure what issues could creep up with that. I do have the right cap on, but will check to make sure it somehow isn't clogged.
Old 06-17-2024, 09:36 AM   #7
Marshall V. Daut

It's the glass sediment bowl that causes trapped air problems. You're o.k. with that metal sediment bowl. Not much can go wrong, unless the screen inside gets clogged. They're pretty simple animals.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 09:45 AM   #8
Gary WA

Must have been a reason for the stick filter on valve(existing rust etc) in tank! When you had valve out should have flushed out! You can remove gas line from carb put a clear rubber hose on to drain the fuel into container by turning on/off lever.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:03 AM   #9
CatMan1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Must have been a reason for the stick filter on valve(existing rust etc) in tank! When you had valve out should have flushed out! You can remove gas line from carb put a clear rubber hose on to drain the fuel into container by turning on/off lever.

I forgot to mention that the screen wasn't in the tank or on the valve when I switched it out. Also, is there a way to flush the tank while on the car?
Old 06-18-2024, 07:54 AM   #10
1crosscut

You can pull the fuel line from the carburetor to check for good flow.

While your at it clean your points with a fine piece of sandpaper and check to see if the gap hasn't closed up too much. It can cause similar symptoms.
Old 06-18-2024, 10:13 AM   #11
Banditorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMan1 View Post
I forgot to mention that the screen wasn't in the tank or on the valve when I switched it out. Also, is there a way to flush the tank while on the car?
Without that raised tube or screen on top of the valve, its going to pull any crud on the bottom of the tank right into where the gas flows. Shine a light down in there and see if you have gunk stuck down in the hole.

What I did was drain the tank completely, take off the floorboards, and got a brass fitting that threaded in there with a nipple on the other end (no drain valve installed). I got enough fuel line to run down and outside the car into a 5 gallon bucket from that brass fitting. I then made a cheap "fuel polishing" setup which was an electric fuel pump with and R12 filter behind it and an inline fuel filter behind that. I hooked the polisher up to a separate 12v battery hooked to a charger.

I'd start by plugging the line that comes off the tank and setting it up high enough that it won't drain out. Then, use the polisher to pump ~4 gallons of gas into the tank while swirling it around to stir things up. Then once I have 4 gallons of gas unplug the line that runs from the tank and let it drain into the 5 gallon bucket. In the beginning I had to take and unbend a coat hanger to prod down some of the junk when it clogged up the drain.

I did that for a couple hours one day and I still get some fine particles in the sediment bowl, but nothing like how it used to be. When you reinstall the valve make sure you put the pencil filter on it
Banditorama is offline   Reply With Quote