Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-16-2024, 10:43 AM   #41
Keith True

Default Re: Watching YouTube videos pertaining to Model-A repair or restoration...

I had a writing instructor years ago that would tell us a story about his early years.He started as a reporter for a newspaper,and everybody around would ride him hard about the smallest mistakes.He was about to quit,when his boss sat him down for a talk.He was told that if he was going to write articles for consumption by the general public,they HAD to be correct in every way.Punctuation,grammar,spelling,syntax,sentence structure,nuances,focus,etc.A reader of his stories should NEVER,EVER,read a story with anything incorrect in it.He was told,you are a schoolteacher,whether you like it or not,and readers are going to take whatever you write as correct.Do not affix incorrectness in their minds. He took that advice to heart,and preached it to his students when he took up teaching after becoming too disabled to report in the field.He said putting out incorrectness to the general public should not be allowed to stand.I just watched a video on how to wind the string on a weed whacker,I think that one may have been made as a joke.Not ONE thing in it was correct.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 07:25 PM   #42
Wick

Default Re: Watching YouTube videos pertaining to Model-A repair or restoration...

Hopefully the videos that I've put out on Model As have been helpfull to some. Hookemfair Garage

Whenever someone takes the time to teach me something I listen. Clem Clements, Rock hill Will,Brent,James Rogers,Buddy Frazier, Ed Case, John Cannon just to name a few.
I'm also lucky that a Big collection of original cars,parts and krw tools are just a couple miles up the street. I'll admit, I still can't tell the difference between 28 and 31 rear fenders, hood sides or closed car windshield frames.
Coming soon videos....
I just purchased a nice 31 slant windshield with a/c and overdrive, I'll be posting a first inspection of the car video. I'll also be installing new brakes on a 31 pickup, I'll have a video of that also.
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 08:26 AM   #43
Planojc

Wick, your videos are always very informative and well done.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:03 AM   #44
Terry Burtz, Calif

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Thank you for the kind comment Neil but there is also a saying about 'A Wise Man Knows what he Doesn't Know!". Maybe that should have applied to this man?? As mentioned above, this man has basically mislead a hundred thirty something people based on the amount of people who 'Liked' that video, ...and no telling how many more who just did not take the time to 'Like' that video.

Anymore, Social Media is absolutely full of misinformation on the repair or restoration of a Model-A. Awhile back, a well respected Model-A parts vendor posted publicly that about 80% of the information you read on the internet about Model-As is incorrect. What an accurate statement that seems to be!! And FWIW, one of the biggest 'Spreader' of false technical information that I have seen on the Facebook Model-A pages is actually a political figure within one of the National Clubs. Sometimes it is so sad that it almost becomes funny. Ohh well.........

Brent, I agree with everything you have said about Model A YouTube videos. It was a big waste of time watching the video about the Nu-Rex wrench, but the poster got paid because I watched it. 

YouTube posters get paid for every view and this has become a source of income for many. For those who produce large quantities of YouTube videos, it seems that the number of YouTube videos is more important than the technical content which is often wrong, sometimes slanderous, and many times just stupid.
Terry Burtz, Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:11 AM   #45
WHN

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
Just set the timing the Ford way, simple and easy, no special tool(s) needed. Been doing it that way for well over 60 years and never had a problem. No need to waste time watching videos.

Im with you!

Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 11:54 AM   #46
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Burtz, Calif View Post
YouTube posters get paid for every view and this has become a source of income for many.
This is correct, but just to give some perspective... My channel has, as of today, about 1,300 subscribers and my videos get about 5,000 views a month. That brings in about $25/month in income from YouTube. It's not nothing, but it's also not enough that it would motivate me to spend time making videos beyond those that I feel personally moved to make. In fact, right now it's not even my top source of Model A-related income.

Of course I'm not selling merch or taking donations, which would improve that revenue stream, but then those have their own expenses – and almost no one in this micro-niche is doing that. So yes, we get paid, but I would not call it a notable source of income for "many," at least not among those doing technical Model A content.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 12:13 PM   #47
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Of course I'm not selling merch or taking donations, which would improve that revenue stream, but then those have their own expenses and almost no one in this micro-niche is doing that. So yes, we get paid, but I would not call it a notable source of income for "many," at least not among those doing technical Model A content.
Good point. Even with those additional sources, the cost to purchase the products used to make a video are still not covered. Unless you're in the 1 million + subscriber club (very rare air up there), it is not profitable. Especially not in the micro niche of a car made for only 4 years, nearly 100 years ago.

Terry and others seem to be under the impression that a YouTube creator makes money from every view. That is not true. When YouTube puts ads on videos, and the viewer watches through the ads, there is a fraction of a cent earned by YouTube (Google) and they share some of that revenue with the creator, if they are signed up for AdSense. If not, then the creator makes nothing.

I remind you- ANYONE can press "record" on their smartyphone and record video. Then, ANYONE can upload that video to YouTube. And, it appears, anyone can then go on a web forum and rip that person apart for sharing something they learned.
Old 06-17-2024, 12:28 PM   #48
Big hammer

Well I’ve been a wondering bout tubing, learned reading here, sometimes I’ll watch for giggles or just to see how others go about an operation, then I usually just go and get it done !
Old 06-17-2024, 02:12 PM   #49
Tom F OHIO

PS. Do you have a video on replacing the rear axle. It would be the left side standing in front of the car.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 04:36 PM   #50
Marshall V. Daut

To replace either axle, the left side housing (driver's side) has to first be removed. Then the axles and differential can be slid out as a unit and worked on. Remove only the left side, or you run the risk as a first-timer of putting the axles back in from the wrong side. That results in three gears in reverse and one forward. Lots of guys have done that. Mark with a center punch how the differential carriers are mated to each other before unbolting them, which is what you'll have to do to replace either axle.
Marshall
Marshall V. Daut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:04 PM   #51
lrf

This video proves why you should join a Model A Club! I'm going on 50 years with my club.LRF
lrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 03:56 AM   #52
old31

Quote:
This is correct, but just to give some perspective... My channel has, as of today, about 1,300 subscribers and my videos get about 5,000 views a month. That brings in about $25/month in income from YouTube. It's not nothing, but it's also not enough that it would motivate me to spend time making videos beyond those that I feel personally moved to make. In fact, right now it's not even my top source of Model A-related income.

Of course I'm not selling merch or taking donations, which would improve that revenue stream, but then those have their own expenses and almost no one in this micro-niche is doing that. So yes, we get paid, but I would not call it a notable source of income for "many," at least not among those doing technical Model A content.
Interesting, I often wondered how much people got paid.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 11:19 AM   #53
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:

Adding to Colins thoughts, Patreon is definitely your friend when it comes receiving revenue for content. A couple hundred Patrons each month giving $5 ea. to support the channel adds up quickly. I know of someone who has around 4k Patrons that generates well over $100k annually. Then there is the world of being an Influencer with your channel which is a whole new topic.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 02:14 PM   #54
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Adding to Colins thoughts, Patreon is definitely your friend when it comes receiving revenue for content. A couple hundred Patrons each month giving $5 ea. to support the channel adds up quickly. I know of someone who has around 4k Patrons that generates well over $100k annually. Then there is the world of being an Influencer with your channel which is a whole new topic.

Patreon would be a good option if you really want to make a commitment to being a creator. Terrible for me since I sometimes go a year btw videos.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2024, 03:18 PM   #55
Tom F OHIO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall V. Daut View Post
To replace either axle, the left side housing (driver's side) has to first be removed. Then the axles and differential can be slid out as a unit and worked on. Remove only the left side, or you run the risk as a first-timer of putting the axles back in from the wrong side. That results in three gears in reverse and one forward. Lots of guys have done that. Mark with a center punch how the differential carriers are mated to each other before unbolting them, which is what you'll have to do to replace either axle.
Marshall
Thanks Marshall as this helps alot. I guess Paul doesn't have a video on this.
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 01:22 PM   #56
tnhammond

I definitely agree.

I have been setting the timing on our coupe since 1957. Quite a few years before a complete rebuild and more than 59 after the the rebuild.

I use the dimple, but verify TDC by removing the number one plug use my index finger to feel the piston reach the correct spot. Of course, using a socket wrench to turn the crank.

I also maintain the specified rotor to cap electrode gap as well as the point and plug gaps.

Very smooth running does not overheat, even in the summer and no back firing.

Many very good and appropriate comment regarding social media.
tnhammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM   #57
christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrf View Post
This video proves why you should join a Model A Club! I'm going on 50 years with my club.LRF
To be honest, reading through this thread is what turns me, and many others off from joining the clubs. Poor guy makes a video, does not know what he is doing (like many new people) and instantly gets roasted for it.
Old 06-20-2024, 04:04 AM   #58
Bruce of MN

If i was a new owner and was trying to learn how to work on my A and wasted time or damaged something following a misinformed video, I would be pretty angry. I have belonged to two clubs and it is easy to tell very quickly who the other members respect and you can ask and learn from. With poor/wrong videos, a new guy could have a tough time seeing that is in error. With hands-on from a respected person, you can see how easy it is to time the dizzy properly, for instance.
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 10:34 AM   #59
P.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce of MN View Post
I have belonged to two clubs and it is easy to tell very quickly who the other members respect and you can ask and learn from. With poor/wrong videos, a new guy could have a tough time seeing that is in error.
Web forums are even harder to tell because everyone tries to come off as the expert. At least on video, you can tell by a few factors-

1. Is the presenter bumbling around or confident and look like they know what they are doing?

2. When the repair is complete, and they demonstrate the operation, does it work? How does it sound/operate?

3. Subscriber count can also tell you if viewers are confident in that presenter.

4. If they have several videos, you can watch another and see if this is their area of expertise or not.
Old 06-20-2024, 10:49 AM   #60
1930artdeco

Here is my take on the video-and I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination. I got nauseous from all of the camera movements as well, but I think both Terry is right and wrong. Overall, I agree with Terry it was a bad video.

Yes he probably should not have posted a video with misleading info (he did have the book on how to time the car) due to a broken Nu-Rex wrench. That is on him, trying to time the car 50 times is on him as well. He should have stopped and reconsidered his steps-I mean 50 times? He probably should have done some more research as there is plenty out there now-including the owners manual.

On the other hand, he just may not know any better. So people should try to instruct him on doing things the right way. If that does not work and he rejects the info that is on him and people should place those comments in the appropriate place. That way people hopefully will read them and steer clear of his video. And yes he should replace the video with correct info (assuming he is still on YT). There are plenty of people who overestimate their abilities with wrenches-even me sometimes. There are also people who should never touch a wrench-I have seen them as well.

Just my 1.5 cents worth of opinion.

Mike