Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-13-2024, 07:11 PM   #21
Fhane

Default Re: Watching YouTube videos pertaining to Model-A repair or restoration...

Brent is right on target. It is one thing to do stupid. It is really stupid to make a bad video with bad information for the uninformed to work with.
Fhane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 07:23 PM   #22
Hitman

Default Re: Watching YouTube videos pertaining to Model-A repair or restoration...

I really hope this guy isn't on Fordbarn and reading about his effort being reviewed.

A person's knowledge and abilities differ greatly among people, even on this forum. We have both ends of the talent and knowledge spectrum here. Who knows, he could be completely ignorant, or perhaps he's doing the best he can and trying to share his knowledge. We don't know which side he comes from.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 08:38 PM   #23
JayJay

However, one should not put himself out as an instructor unless he is well versed in the material. There is a subtle but significant difference between “this is how it should be done” as opposed to “this is how I do it”.

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2024, 11:53 PM   #24
Hitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
However, one should not put himself out as an instructor unless he is well versed in the material. There is a subtle but significant difference between “this is how it should be done” as opposed to “this is how I do it”.
Who said he did? His medium was you tube, yours is this forum. It’s an older video, perhaps he’s learned since then.

I’m not saying that guy or anyone here is wrong or right, just that we’re knocking him down pretty hard. We all started with no experience and knowledge on these cars, and this guy could be a valuable contributor here. We don’t know, because we never asked. Just jumped to conclusions.
Old 06-14-2024, 07:55 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Who said he did? His medium was you tube, yours is this forum. It’s an older video, perhaps he’s learned since then.

I’m not saying that guy or anyone here is wrong or right, just that we’re knocking him down pretty hard. We all started with no experience and knowledge on these cars, and this guy could be a valuable contributor here. We don’t know, because we never asked. Just jumped to conclusions.
With all kindness and due respect to you, I am (-as you say) "knocking him down pretty hard" maybe because he kinda needs to be knocked down a little. Look at it positively, if he has learned since then, I would think he has the responsibility to either remove his video, -or make appropriate corrections as to not mislead viewers.

Without turning this political, it really comes across as this modern-day mindset of 'free speech' entitles folks were they can spew all levels of incorrect information without any ethics or responsibilities really needs to changed. Just because many others are doing it too really does not make it ok in many other's eyes.

And to your other point, if this guy is a valuable contributor here (-and I hope he is), I honestly would have no problem telling him to his face, or publicly explaining where and why he is wrong on so many levels with his video content. FWIW, I have been a member of Fordbarn since the early 1990s when Gus Stangeland invented it. For years, this forum was known for its factual information only. Even during the Shelley & Pete reign, it was understood that if someone didn't know the answer then they just didn't post a made-up opinion to someone's question. Then, it appeared this mindset started changing about 5-10 years ago where people would randomly post false info and then get hateful if you disagreed and even proved them wrong. This was not good for the hobby, and definitely wasted people's time & resources. Fortunately Ryan started banning people that would rather fight than just admit they were wrong. I also will quickly admit that Ryan scolded me several times too, so I wasn't immune to this but when you look around, it becomes blatantly obvious this forum has withstood the time and IMO is the best Model-A forum because you received honest and/or factual information here.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 08:00 AM   #26
old31

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzBob View Post
At start up at the end of the video, sounds like it is only running on 3 cylinders and this guy is claiming victory.
Well ya, it is victory because originally it was running on one cylinder.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:01 AM   #27
Planojc

There are way too many videos on how to time a model a on YouTube.
Planojc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:01 AM   #28
Dino's A

His wrench is clearly ruined. It's a sharp point now and was a slot type of
protrusion when new.
1968 Taco Minibike

Member, Santa Anita Model A's
Arcadia Ca.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:48 AM   #29
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I really hope this guy isn't on Fordbarn and reading about his effort being reviewed.
I hope he is, maybe he'll smarten up.
Old 06-14-2024, 11:06 AM   #30
Keith True

I watch almost no A videos,and very few others.I do look at some equipment repair videos,not for the how-to,but to see what I will be looking at once I remove stuff on top.I just replaced a hose on a Bobcat excavator,and saw exactly where it was located in the video.I only had to remove 6 hoses to get at it,instead of the whole dozen the book says.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:39 AM   #31
Tom F OHIO

Speaking of videos, Does anyone know of a good video of replacing a rear axel? We have to do this and never done one before.
Thanks for any help
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:45 AM   #32
rotorwrench

Common sense isn't taught any any school that I've ever known about. Some are born with more than others. A lot of it is more of the school of hard knocks. A person has to learn to take information of unknown origin with a grain of salt and just let people be as they are. I've known people that are genius at some things but totally lost at other things. It's hard for some folks to put their ego aside and just listen to others on things that they truly need help with.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 11:45 AM   #33
Hitman

Brent- I too have been on this board since the Gus days, when it pretty much grew out of the Dallas club's website, and through it's transitions ever since. It's still the one I visit more often than others that have come and gone since then.

I think we're not doing ourselves any service here by starting posts that are critical of other's abilities. If we were so concerned about accuracy, we'd start with this site. Most posts have multiple suggestions and opinions, many that contradict each other. We mostly let them stand as is, and get recorded that way. They're often pulled up and referenced well into the future through searches. Think of how many people never participate on the forum because they searched and found the right answer, which is probably wrong, or one of three different answers.

Why not make this a teaching moment for the forum and video poster? How should the information be corrected? What is Brent's method to timing? How do you address your own employees when they've made a mistake? Post about it on a forum? Publicly confront them and tell them why they're wrong on so many levels? Or do you take the employee aside and point out the mistake, and show them how to do it properly? Then end the lesson with "let me know if you have any questions".

It's easy to criticize and forget that we all live in a glass house. If we want to attract people to this site, and to this hobby, being outwardly critical is not the way to do that. I can't believe we have to discuss compassion and understanding of another person's perspective in a thread like this.
Old 06-14-2024, 03:08 PM   #34
Jeff/Illinois

I couldn't follow the guy's video more than about 45 seconds, I was getting sea sick the constant moving-around of the camera, was getting nauseous.................

I agree with Brent, a LOT of what I see on YT videos that these guys put out, and what they are doing, is down right dangerous

In the words of Bart Simpson.... Aye Carrumba.....
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 03:39 PM   #35
47topless

The "Self-righteous Brothers" have sung their song.
47topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 06:04 AM   #36
351cmach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wick View Post
That fuel line.....
I can't unsee this.
Scary if it was permanent but I think its temporary with a fuel container hanging off the windshield post.

Looks like he took out his frustrations after timing it 45 times on that poor wrench. Its also bent.
351cmach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 08:03 AM   #37
Dino's A

I think it's comical that this thread is about You Tube videos and no mention of________

That tells a lot.
1968 Taco Minibike

Member, Santa Anita Model A's
Arcadia Ca.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:45 PM   #38
katy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith True View Post
I watch almost no A videos,and very few others.I do look at some equipment repair videos,not for the how-to,but to see what I will be looking at once I remove stuff on top.
Ditto
Old 06-15-2024, 08:49 PM   #39
David in San Antonio

I read this online, and it’s undeniably true:
“First Facebook, and now YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok have so little valid content you’re better off ignoring them altogether. - Abraham Lincoln
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2024, 10:02 AM   #40
Jeff/Illinois

David, one of my favorite quotes from Honest Abe thanks for posting
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote