Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-12-2024, 01:44 PM   #1
Cool Hand Lurker

Default 47 steering gear parts in Model A box?

I am upgrading my 1930 Model A steering gearbox to a 1947 gearbox.
First, can the Model A light switch be attached to the end of the 1947 gearbox or will I have to rig up a 1947 switch on the Model A dash?
Or, will the interior parts of the 1947 gearbox fit into the 1930 Model A gearbox?
It's always something!
Cool Hand Lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 02:11 PM   #2
Chuck Sea/Tac

Default Re: 47 steering gear parts in Model A box?

Is that an F1 box?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2024, 02:25 PM   #3
Cool Hand Lurker

Yes, the pickup.
Old 06-12-2024, 03:00 PM   #4
rotorwrench

F1 would be 1948 through 1952 1/2 ton pickups.

Ford used the light switch on the steering box through 1939 but my concern would be the length of the steering shaft in question. If too long then the switch tube won't work as is. The end of the gearbox where the bearing cap goes on also may be different. I'd be curious about Randy Gross' F100 conversion. You might try to contact him or maybe someone that has his conversion will add information.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 04:57 PM   #5
Cool Hand Lurker

OK, so not many people are experts in the innards of the gearbox other than the rebuilding and adjustment projects. I always seem to have questions on things nobody else even thinks about. My wife says that I am special...
I took my Tudor on a drive for the first time in 2 years and realized just how hard it is to turn that steering wheel just to back out of the driveway. Especially at 85.
I thought it might be easy to switch out the 11:1 ratio stock Model A gearbox with a 1947 unit with a 17:1 ratio. I wanted it to look stock but steer more easily. Simple, eh?
Not if I wanted to keep the original light switch at the steering wheel location, as it turns out. Trading the stock 2 or 7 gears with the 1947 innards would be good, but probably not even possible.
It sounds like the only alternative for lighter steering is changing to a shorter pitman arm. They say it will be a lot easier to turn the wheel but I think the turning circle will be bigger. Hopefully that will not matter too much.
Thanks for the responses. Happy Motoring!
Old 06-14-2024, 07:49 PM   #6
nkaminar

I have the F-100 box on my car. Not sure who did the work as it was on the car when I bought it. The end of a stock box has been welded onto the bottom of the box so that a stock light switch can be used. It has the stock 1930 light switch lever at the top of the steering wheel and the stock steering wheel. So it can be done. Talk to Randy Gross.

Regarding the effort to steer: The effort is much reduced. The F-100 box has a roller that works as the sectors in the stock box. So you have roller on roller and no sliding contact. The roller that acts like a sector has needle bearings.

The F-100 box and all the steering components have to be maintained. With the lower gear ratio (more turns lock to lock) any slop is magnified. Fortunately the F-100 box is easy to adjust, with only one adjustment.

I am not familiar with the F-1 box.
The clutch always sticks, and starts with a jerk.
My car grows red hair, and flies through the air.
Driving's a blast, a blast from the past.
nkaminar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:06 PM   #7
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I have the F-100 box on my car. Not sure who did the work as it was on the car when I bought it. The end of a stock box has been welded onto the bottom of the box so that a stock light switch can be used. It has the stock 1930 light switch lever at the top of the steering wheel and the stock steering wheel. So it can be done. Talk to Randy Gross.

Regarding the effort to steer: The effort is much reduced. The F-100 box has a roller that works as the sectors in the stock box. So you have roller on roller and no sliding contact. The roller that acts like a sector has needle bearings.

The F-100 box and all the steering components have to be maintained. With the lower gear ratio (more turns lock to lock) any slop is magnified. Fortunately the F-100 box is easy to adjust, with only one adjustment.

I am not familiar with the F-1 box.
We just install one of Randy's F-100 steering boxes in a '29 PU for a lady in our club. Randy makes his own light switch rods for the different length columns. I'm not sure how the switch attaches to the box but it uses the original switch. Everything works as it should.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 09:50 PM   #8
Cool Hand Lurker

Originally Posted by nkaminar
I have the F-100 box on my car. Not sure who did the work as it was on the car when I bought it. The end of a stock box has been welded onto the bottom of the box so that a stock light switch can be used.

That looks like the answer! I should be able to find a junk box to get the original end cap part. I don't want to destroy my original Model A box which is still useable. That way I can do the conversion on another box without tearing down the car until the modified box is ready to be installed. THANK YOU!
Old 06-15-2024, 12:33 PM   #9
Chuck Sea/Tac

I’m still trying to determine if it’s a F1 or not, because as mentioned, F1 didn’t come out until 48. My friend had a slant window with an F1 in it. I was probably put in many years ago. I could possibly get pictures or more info if you needed. Could you post a picture of the box?
Chuck Sea/Tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:15 PM   #10
Cool Hand Lurker

OK, I was finally able to take a close look at the 47 box I now have. It did come out of a 47 pickup so it is probably not an F1. It also has the same 4-bolt cap on the end as the Model A and it does have a hole for the horn wire. So it probably does not need to be modified. It might be that the 39-47 units are all the same and the headlight switch will just bolt up. I hope.
Thanks for all the input. I have learned a lot.
Old 06-16-2024, 09:21 PM   #11
Fordestes

delete
Fordestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 05:59 AM   #12
Robert/Texas

I suggest that you read the following thread.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338969
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 07:01 AM   #13
updraught

https://bobdrake.com/products/book-f...service-repair
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2024, 10:08 AM   #14
Cool Hand Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
I suggest that you read the following thread.
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=338969

Thanks, good info.

I just ordered a shortened Pitman from Snyder's, but now it is $75 if you include shipping. Times change, eh?
One of the things I learned in this exercise is to fine tune the adjustments on the gearbox BEFORE changing the pitman.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:33 AM   #15
rotorwrench

For future information I figured I'd add this. If I remember correctly, the 1937 through 1948 passenger & light commercial (pickup) used the same steering gear. The roller sector came out in 1937. They were cross steer set ups so they had the pitman arm on the bottom rotating from right to left. The drag link crossed over to the other side to steer the right spindle with the tie rod between the two spindle arms. This wouldn't be easy to set up on a model A. The F1 box used from 1948 though 1952 is a side steer set up but it's set up different from the early Ford types that used side steer in that the worm gear & steering shaft sets under the sector instead of on top of the sector. This changes the angle of the steering column plus the box has to be modified to fit in the frame like an A steering box does. In 1953, Ford changed the steering box for the F100 to put the worm gear and shaft back up on top but retained the side steer design. This is why the F100 box from 1953 through 1956 is preferred.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote