Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #41
Craig Lewis

Default Re: Reconditiohing NOS Hoses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
If this isn't a bunch of bull s#$%, then I need to buy some of your cow tires.
Could be a cheap project...you get the materials free online
Craig Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #42
bbrocksr

I suppose the fact that an old stiff hose that has no flex in it and will transfer all the engine vibration and movement into the radiator outlets and cause the tanks to crack and leak has nothing to do with it. Why do you suppose they put a rubber hose there instead of a rigid connection
Where does common sense come in.
Bill
bbrocksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:43 PM   #43
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrocksr View Post
I didn't call anyone a liar! Maybe you could show me where I did.
If you think hot water softens a hose and its fine then i guess that's your opinion. Everybody is entitled to one including me.
My opinion is when rubber parts get old and hard they should be replaced like Fan belts, Tires, Wiper blades, Radiator hoses and Motor mounts.
Bill
On the items you list, Fan Belts,Tires, Wiper Blades, Motor Mounts there is Pressure, Wear, & or Tension.. Where does that come into play on a "HOSE" ??... As I stated, I put my hoses on in 1985 NOS, Hard as a Rock & are still on it & holding well...
Fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:08 PM   #44
MrTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred View Post
On the items you list, Fan Belts,Tires, Wiper Blades, Motor Mounts there is Pressure, Wear, & or Tension.. Where does that come into play on a "HOSE" ??... As I stated, I put my hoses on in 1985 NOS, Hard as a Rock & are still on it & holding well...

You do realize the statement you just made is pretty funny.

"As I stated, I put my hoses on in 1985 NOS, Hard as a Rock & are still on it & holding well"

You admitted to installing a hose which no one in their right mind would use and there is no reason to. The reproduction hoses look the same and are actually still rubber. Are you using original oil as well?
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #45
bbrocksr

Wink Re: Reconditiohing NOS Hoses

Quote:
Hey Fred, All I'm saying is that a hard, rigid hose will not adsorb any shocks or vibrations like a soft flexible hose and will transfer them into the radiator tanks causing cracks and damage to the radiator. That doesn't mean that some people can't do it and get away with it.
Gates Rubber Co states on their website that the shelf life of radiator hoses is 3-5 years under proper conditions. After that the rubber begins to deteriorate.
Bill
Old 02-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #46
ford3

bbrocksr, to some people with there trailer queens and high points car addiction will let that over ride common sense every time
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #47
Pete/Ct.

Try soaking a little piece of bad one in Evaporust. I had some pieces soaking with rubber on them and the rubber came out like new. Not sure of strength of rubber after soaking but worth a shot. Pete/Ct.
Pete/Ct. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #48
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
bbrocksr, to some people with there trailer queens and high points car addiction will let that over ride common sense every time
SORRY; I drive mine all the time... But I do have a trailer, I wont go on RT. 95 with either one, and that is COMMON SENSE..
Old 02-13-2013, 03:32 PM   #49
Fred
BANNED

Quote:
Hey Fred, All I'm saying is that a hard, rigid hose will not adsorb any shocks or vibrations like a soft flexible hose and will transfer them into the radiator tanks causing cracks and damage to the radiator. That doesn't mean that some people can't do it and get away with it.
Gates Rubber Co states on their website that the shelf life of radiator hoses is 3-5 years under proper conditions. After that the rubber begins to deteriorate.
Bill
Two things here, When the hoses heat up you can push on them & they are as soft as new.. That is TODAYS made GATES HOSES.. Made that way to sell more ??
Old 02-13-2013, 03:35 PM   #50
MrTube

Quote:
Two things here, When the hoses heat up you can push on them & they are as soft as new.. That is TODAYS made GATES HOSES.. Made that way to sell more ??

Na, that statement is to keep failures from happening.
Yours is a ticking time bomb not to mention the extra vibration getting transfered to the frame as well as stressing the radiator and water pump neck.

Would be really cool to see your hoses perform on a pressurized system at 15psi since you seem to feel they are made better than todays.
MrTube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:00 PM   #51
ford3

LOL MR Tube, you may as well give up, in Freds world the earth is flat
Old 02-13-2013, 04:27 PM   #52
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
I didn't call anyone a liar! Maybe you could show me where I did.
If you think hot water softens a hose and its fine then i guess that's your opinion. Everybody is entitled to one including me.
My opinion is when rubber parts get old and hard they should be replaced like Fan belts, Tires, Wiper blades, Radiator hoses and Motor mounts.
Bill
It has been posted that owners have used the hard hoses for years with no problem you say, If you think hot water softens a hose and its fine then i guess that's your opinion. It is not an opinion it is a fact! If you do not beleive them you are calling them liars.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:03 PM   #53
bbrocksr

[QUOTE=Mike V. Florida;591421]It has been posted that owners have used the hard hoses for years with no problem you say, If you think hot water softens a hose and its fine then i guess that's your opinion. It is not an opinion it is a fact! If you do not beleive them you are calling them liars.
[/QUOT

Let me get this straight, If you don't agree with someone that means you are calling him a liar.
Where did you learn that? People have different opinions all the time without being liars.
So anybody you don't agree with is a liar, Is that the way you see it?
Bill
Old 02-13-2013, 06:21 PM   #54
Fred K-OR

Children, I would think it is time to find something else to do besides post on this posting!

Last edited by Fred K-OR; 02-13-2013 at 08:57 PM.
Fred K-OR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #55
Mike V. Florida

[QUOTE=bbrocksr;591481]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
It has been posted that owners have used the hard hoses for years with no problem you say, If you think hot water softens a hose and its fine then i guess that's your opinion. It is not an opinion it is a fact! If you do not beleive them you are calling them liars.
[/QUOT

Let me get this straight, If you don't agree with someone that means you are calling him a liar.
Where did you learn that? People have different opinions all the time without being liars.
So anybody you don't agree with is a liar, Is that the way you see it?
Bill
If someone wakes up in the morning and says they see the sun it is not an opinion it is a fact. If someone uses old hoses for years with no problems that is fact not opinion. To say they are wrong and what they have done cannot be done IS calling them a liar.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #56
stanley07

You might try a mixture of glycerin and green soap. You can get these from a drugstore (Walgreens). This works of weatherstripping.
stanley07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #57
Mike Peters

Whoa guys!! All I wanted was some ideas on how to soften old NOS hoses on a show car. By definition, show cars aren't driven much. If it can handle the mandatory tour, then the game is won. I've been buying up NOS and original parts like 3X spark plugs, an original rebuilt Owen Dyneto C1B wirper unit, rebuilt correct shocks, etc., etc. since I bought the car last summer. I've got other Model A's to bang around the roads with for fun. What would be the point of installing expensive NOS hoses on a driver? Lighten up! It's just a hobby.
mike
Mike Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #58
stanley07

Try a mixture of glycerin and gren soap. You can get this at a drugstore (Walgreens). This works well on weatherstripping also.
stanley07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #59
Mike V. Florida

I'm sorry I got carried away. Maybe the sting of previous threads about how the original stuff is crap and only new stuff can make the Model A a good car to drive got to me.

Again I'm sorry it got away from me.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #60
ford3

hey Mike, no harm done, but it did make for a lively discussion, i blame some of that on boredom brought on by the long winter nights