Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-09-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
BashawT

Default Emergency Brake Cross Shaft Bushings

Hey everyone,

I just got some new bronze bushings for my emergency brake cross shaft. They fit really really tight on the shaft and when I tighten the bracket I am unable to spin the cross shaft at all.

Any advice? I see that snyder's has bushings with the woven insert. Has anyone used these? They are pretty pricey!

Thanks for any advice!
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: Emergency Brake Cross Shaft Bushings

Woven was factory.

The bushings do not need to hold the shaft in a precision position, just some cloth to keep them from rattling as you drove along. The bronze bushings need to be free and kept lubricated and you hope the lubrication does not get hard over time and cause binding.

What is wrong with the original bushings? A little play is ok. My car got a selection of good used bushings. Some are pot metal and others are steel, either is likely to be found in serviceable condition. I have been surprised with finding the bushings and shafts in very good to excellent condition (I have 2 service shafts with no measurable wear).

Keep in mind that the paint adds diameter to the shaft.

I have never used the repro woven bushings. What I saw being different was the originals had a lip on either side holding the woven part inside. The repros were just straight bored through. I am guessing they should not be lubricated.

Which brings me to that lubricating fitting that Ford supposedly forgot. Ford made the bushing so it did not need lubrication. If you install the repro bronze bushings then the addition of the lube fitting is probably a wise idea.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #3
BashawT

I lost one of the bushings. I've been trying really hard to find the darn thing. Maybe someone on the barn has a spare one I can pay them postage for and they can send it my way! I'll keep looking on the garage floor for now.

Thanks Kevin.
BashawT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 07:02 PM   #4
argon

Just a little off subject, does any one know if both of the brake shafts were painted as a unit originally? Or were they painted and assembled? How wld the rivets been peened wo killing the paint? Are the ends of the shafts plain steel? Thanks guys
argon is offline   Reply With Quote