Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #1
Old Henry

Default Alaska attempt daily report

My journey has begun. Since several expressed some interest in it, I thought I'd post a daily report of my progress.

I finally finished rebuilding and rewiring my headlights and drove to where I could aim them at 1:30 A.M. this morning. Slept from 2 - 7 then got up, feeling drugged, and finished up all other last minute preparations and started off today at 10:45 A.M. We made it to Butte, Montana just after sundown, 450 miles. I let Siri take me to the nearest camp ground. He took me to the KOA. I asked for a tent site without power. They were going to charge me $36.00 for one. I was obviously displeased and ready to leave and head for the Motel 6. They then upgraded me to a cabin for the same price so I'm happy.

Here's the map of our planned route showing Butte that we made it to so far.

Interactive map you can zoom in on here: https://goo.gl/maps/YPZTKvV7YW72

No problems at all with the car today. The only mechanical problems were the batteries powering the headphone amp that boosts the signal from my mp3 player to the radio speaker went dead. So, I was stuck listening to the soft rumble of the engine, the soothing whir of the tires, and the pleasing swoosh of the air passing by the open window for 9 hours. Actually, not bad at all. I quite enjoyed it.

The other problem was that the software on my laptop that was supposed to record the entire trip and all statistics about it so that I could play it back at the end of each day to review turned out to be unreliable. In shorter trial runs, it had continued to record even after prolonged stops. But today, if I stopped too long, it lost the prior recording and started over from where we were. So, "Johnny 5" (the robot from Short Circuit) did not get his insatiable appetite for "input" satisfied today.

Speeds averaged 60-65 mph, temperatures from 49-61 degrees F, and altitudes from 4500-6500 feet.

I planned to stay in Dillon, Montana tonight, which would have been 390 miles for the day, close to my budget of 400 per day, but the sun was still shining when we got there so we went another hour to Butte. At this rate, I may finish early (if I finish at all) or, I may take some longer, slower, more scenic routes and stop more to see, photograph, and videotape stuff.

Spending the day on the freeway was not conducive to photography. It was not like the little two-lanes that I can stop on a dime any time to take pictures or do a quick U-turn to video. I'll be glad when I get off the freeways to get some pictures and video.

Here are the only two pictures I took speeding along the freeway of little Lady in a couple of her favorite travel postures. Watching the computer does the same for her as it does for me - puts us to sleep.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-12-2016 at 10:41 AM.
Old Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 01:52 AM   #2
Alaska Jim

Default Re: Alaska attempt daily report

Where in Alaska are you headed?
Alaska Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
RalphM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaska Jim View Post
Where in Alaska are you headed?
I was hoping to see Ol Henry in the Interior, but I think his plan is to drive to Haines(which is not REALLY part of Alaska , it doesn't even get cold there)

I had to get that in there Professor, seriously I think it's a great journey you have embarked on and I will be patiently waiting for your daily updates.
All the best of luck, and post some photos.
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Old Henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphM View Post
I was hoping to see Ol Henry in the Interior, but I think his plan is to drive to Haines(which is not REALLY part of Alaska , it doesn't even get cold there)

I had to get that in there Professor, seriously I think it's a great journey you have embarked on and I will be patiently waiting for your daily updates.
All the best of luck, and post some photos.
I'm headed for Skagway. Here's the map:

Interactive map: https://goo.gl/maps/tnjB1k2tgND2

And here are a couple of pictures of "Ol Henry in the Interior" with little Lady in some of her traveling postures. Watching the computer does the same thing to her as it does to me, puts us to sleep.

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-12-2016 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:10 AM   #5
A bones

Thanks for the report. You know I'd love to be doing just that; listening to the rumble of the engine and, the whir of the tires. Yesterday I surrendered my CDL due to my eyes not working like they used to. No regrets though, I had plenty of thrills while trucking. Always considered myself to be a paid tourist.

Here's to the back roads may they all be downhill.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:12 AM   #6
colin1928

thanks for the post waiting for the next
colin1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 05:32 AM   #7
turnpikecrusier

We all are going to enjoy your trip!
turnpikecrusier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:52 AM   #8
corvette8n

Sounds like a good start, can't wait to see the video/pictures. Do you have a pre-trip checklist?.
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 06:57 AM   #9
Cecil/WV

Good start!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:04 AM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

So far so good, best of luck on the trip.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #11
Ol' Ron

I feel like I'm sitting in the back seat enjoying the ride. Thanks, and good luck.
Ol' Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 07:56 AM   #12
flatheadv8

Thank you so much for sharing your trip. I too feel like I am riding along in the back seat and couldn't resist saying, "Are we there yet!" LOL... Have a safe trip and please do share some pics. Love em'!
flatheadv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:00 AM   #13
Barry-ct

Can't wait for the latest travelog, wish I was there with you!

50 F-1
Barry-ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
BUBBAS IGNITION

Have a good trip.!!!
BUBBAS IGNITION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:28 AM   #15
gmanrides

Subscribed! looking forward to the journey. Enjoy!
gmanrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 01:42 PM   #16
Old Henry

Day 3

What a day! Thirteen hours in the saddle wears on a guy. 486 miles driven but only 352 count since I went 67 miles the wrong direction and had to come back that far to get back on the route. Just one of my SHE problems for the day.

Here's how far we've come so far, 1,855 miles.

From Fort MacLeod we headed north to Calgary then west to Banff National Park.

I had developed a little bounce in the back end so stopped to get the back wheels balanced at the only tire store in some little town along the way. They didn't have space inside the garage to help me so did it by the side of the garage.

I started getting a little tendonitis in my left wrist from the way I drive with it alone. Had to start modifying my approach to steering.

I stopped for gas in Calgary and let the dog out on the leash in the back seat, put her back in, put the leash in the back, and shut the back door, or, so I thought. When we started picking up speed I heard wind noise behind my left ear. I turned and saw the door open a crack, and, the instant I saw it the door flew open and whacked against the side of the car and fender denting the fender and the belt trim in and pulling the sheet metal out where the hinge hit it. My first SHE problem for the day.

I just wish it had been the first time but it was not. All the time I was growing up with this car there was always a dent in the fender and trim from multiple hits. Just a few months ago my granddaughter didn't shut the door tight and it caught the wind and slammed against the car, not quite as bad, it only dented the fender, not the trim nor pull the sheet metal out. I got my sledge hammer and pounded the dent back out from underneath and, in fact, the morning I left for this trip I dobbed some touch up paint there where some was off.

I had to do a little body work prying with a big screw driver and pounding with the hammer to get the metal back in place enough for the door to open and close. Then, a touch of duct tape over the exposed Bondo and I was "on the road again." I wish that had been my last SHE problem for the day.

From there we headed for Banff National Park and the famous Lake Louise. I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed and frustrated with that experience.

As we drove into the park, there was a lot of particulate in the air (haze) and the majestic mountain peaks were far from the road, unlike Glacier National Park which is much more "intimate" for the driver. Then there was the highway through the park. It was the Trans-Canadian Highway - a freeway all the way. No quick stops for a picture. So, most of the views are by video that I'll produce and share when I get home.

Then, at the famous Lake Louise, I couldn't get Old Henry close enough to the lake to get his picture so had to make my first attempt at a "selfie". How did I do? No, my face is not photogenic enough so this is the best you get.

Next came my next SHE problem.

At Lake Louise, we were supposed to leave the freeway to head north to Jasper National Park. Well, somehow I missed that and didn't realize it for 67 miles until I saw a sign saying 10 km to Golden. I knew Golden was not where we were supposed to be headed so stopped and checked the map realized the freeway exit I missed.

It wasn't a total waste since I did find one place to pull off the freeway and actually get the car near the river for a shot of it with a lofty mountain peak above it.

What I found out when I finally got back and took the exit I missed was that the Provicial Highway through Jasper National Park was a two lane that I could stop and take some pictures. And, the scenery was much more impressive. By then it was getting late in the day and I was mad at myself for having missed this great route during the sunny part of the day. However, the low light created some very dramatic scenes.

I was now two hours behind schedule so I was hurrying to get to somewhere to stay for the night. In my hurry, I neglected to stop for gas at 1/2 tank that I'd been trying to do and it looked like I was going to run out before I got to the next gas station and I'd have to put gas in from the can in the trunk. I hate that. Fortunately, I made it to an out-of-the-way place and pain $1.34 per liter of gas. It was starting to get dark and it was still an hour and a half to Jasper so I checked on the rooms they had there. They wanted $100.00 for my and $40.00 for little Lady. I couldn't stomach that so headed on to Jasper.

Most of the way I had no cell phone service so had no way of knowing what accommodations might be in Jasper. When I finally got service, I checked for pet friendly motels and they were all over $100. So, I googled camping and, low and behold, there was a camp ground just ahead within a kilometer. It was, in fact, a national park campground where I got a nice tent sight for $20.

It was midnight by the time I climbed into the sleeping bag with little lady. The car battery with the extra 6 volt battery connected in parallel during the day to charge ran the 400 watt inverter just fine over night when reconnected in series with it.

S.H.E. = Stupid Human Error

Last edited by Old Henry; 05-15-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-14-2016, 02:07 PM   #17
Old Henry

Received a PM with this question:

"I see in your picture of your front seat on your Alaska trip you have a lap top, are you able to charge it with your 6volt positive ground?"

I do still have original 6 volt positive ground. I needed more amps to charge my laptop computer than the usual 6-12 volt inverter provides that converts the positive ground to negative ground. So, instead, I used a 6-12 volt booster.

Available here: http://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Booste.../dp/B004P9IS3I

But, with that booster that's made to boost 6 volt negative ground to 12 volt negative ground I couldn't use the car body for ground nor mount the booster to come in contact with any metal of the car. So, I ran the ground wire for the booster and power socket directly from the negative post on the battery and the positive wire directly from the positive post. And, I mounted the booster on an angle iron attached to the side of the glove box but away from the box as the booster gets real hot and I didn't want to catch the box on fire. Works great.
Old 05-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #18
36coupe

Great adventure.
I wonder how far I could make it in the 38 with mechical brakes?
36coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:31 PM   #19
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36coupe View Post
Great adventure.
If it's in good mechanical condition, as far as you'd like. These old Fords are rugged, built to run on rough roads in difficult conditions.

Keep us posted, Old Henry! Love these driving adventures.
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #20
Cecil/WV

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36coupe View Post
Great adventure.
If you brakes are like the '38 I used to own, there would be nothing to stop you!
Cecil/WV is offline   Reply With Quote