Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #1
dlfrisch

Default Canvas Sport Coupe Top

I have to replace the existing canvas top. The wood cross pieces look OK. The lower back piece of wood on the deck - in front of the rumble seat, should be replaced. The top sales dealer said, the new top comes with complete installation procedures and they said - to stay on the installation directions, it is very important.
I’ m looking for comments and important suggestions from those who have experienced this task.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:11 PM   #2
daren007

Default Re: Canvas Sport Coupe Top

Bought my top Kit from Classtique. You basically have one chance. If you can find someone with experience use it. Mike from Classtique was very helpful.
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:42 AM   #3
jthomas6

Does Classtique offer a list of local 'approved installers'?
Old 02-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #4
dlfrisch

I have talked to Mike (Classtigue). He sent me a packet of sample products and he was very helpful on a phone call. When I’m ready to buy, he will most likely be, who I will deal with.
dlfrisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
redmodelt

Call them and ask, re installers.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
rotorwrench

I think it's the volume 5 of the MAFCA "How to Restore Your Model A" series of booklets that has a run down on the related parts and a basic install procedure for the Sport Coupe tops. If your wood and all the required pieces are there and ready to go, it's not too bad. Any kit worth its salt will come with the cardboard formers and all of the basic top materials to do the job. The braces and bows have to be covered to look good. The bows have to be ready to attach the support wires and the tacks that hold it all. I'm not sure if it comes with hidem welt or the tips for the drip rails & welts. Some of that stuff may have to be procured. The landau bars have to be ready to go along with all the hardware that hold them on. The rear bead molding that fastens around the bottom of the back side also has to be ready to go. Many times the molding is missing or corroded beyond use. You will also have to have the back light frame & glass ready to go.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 02-12-2020 at 06:48 PM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #7
Aok

I have a 31 sports coupe restored by the PO O(top is good) but info is always helpful. I like these cars or I would have not bought one. A nice mix between a convertible and one that looks like one
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:54 PM   #8
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aok View Post
I have a 31 sports coupe restored by the PO O(top is good) but info is always helpful. I like these cars or I would have not bought one. A nice mix between a convertible and one that looks like one

Not dissing your car but if that's it in your avatar, the landau irons are incorrectly installed. The passenger side should look like a letter S with the fake center knob toward the rear of the car. The driver side should look like a backward S, again with the knob to the rear.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stories31-50B-2-web.jpg (27.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg 30-spt-coupe.jpg (20.7 KB, 25 views)
CHuDWah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #9
50B

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHuDWah View Post
Not dissing your car but if that's it in your avatar, the landau irons are incorrectly installed. The passenger side should look like a letter S with the fake center knob toward the rear of the car. The driver side should look like a backward S, again with the knob to the rear.

Also it is a SPORT COUPE NOT SPORTS COUPE, there is no S on the end of sport.
I have owned my 1930 SPORT COUPE show car for 58 years, for the first 4 years with top awards.
Jerry B =50B
50B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:45 PM   #10
Aok

Car is a driver, not overly concerned about the placement of the irons. But constructive criticism is always appreciated
Aok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:52 AM   #11
rotorwrench

I don't mean any disrespect but folks in the know wouldn't drive it like that. They can be unbolted and swapped without tearing the whole car apart. Landau bars have always been representative of the type of top clear back into the early days of horse drawn carriages. I know that a lot of folks don't know the difference but you might be surprised how many do.
Old 02-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #12
larrys40

I have done a sport Coupe top before from Lebaron Bonney. Cam from Lebaron Bonney said it was their most difficult top to install they sold. Their 40 convertible top was 2nd and so having done one of those before she said I should have been fine.

It WAS and Extreme challenge, partly because of 4 mistakes on their part but also because of what it is. It is not just replacing material. It is dealing with the wood structure and bows , covering everything in bow drill , flexible hardboard panels to install and fittings the back curtain etc , and then pulling it all right and getting the curve cut at the corners and pulled and material down to he quarters.
It is important to have enough material to deal with as Lebaron Bonney only left less than a half inch on what I had.
The one I did for a customer turned out great but it was most definately challenging.
Just forewarning you. This install is not for the typical novice .

Upper door panels, visor, rain gutters, landau irons are all parts of the final fit details after he core top to ensure things fit and look and are properly done to make the job look nice and are important elements .
My advice is to find someone who is at least somewhat schooled at doing them or at least roadster tops which are easy to help. Experience is a key factor.

Best of luck !
Larry shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 02-16-2020 at 12:26 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #13
rotorwrench

Folks won't have to worry about Lebaron Bonney any more but that does bring up a good point. It helps to have a friend who is an auto trimmer sometimes on jobs like this. Having a good sewing machine and the usual trimmers tools is a big help on stuff that comes up short.

Just the belt line molding alone can be a big chore if you don't have a good original for the 28/29 models. Folks substitute half round aluminum stock sometimes with good result. I hope the kit gives you all the material needed for the wrapping of the bows and card boards & stuff. It can be hard to match stuff up if you buy from one company and then find you have to get extra from another. I wouldn't purchase the kit until you are ready to install it. This way you can barter back and forth with the supplier if stuff doesn't fit right.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I don't mean any disrespect but folks in the know wouldn't drive it like that. They can be unbolted and swapped without tearing the whole car apart. Landau bars have always been representative of the type of top clear back into the early days of horse drawn carriages. I know that a lot of folks don't know the difference but you might be surprised how many do.

And yet many are incorrectly installed - just ask Mr Google for pix. Like you say, easy fix.

Being a former Sport Coupe owner (and wishing I still was), this is a pet peeve - just doesn't look right unless correct.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:21 PM   #15
CHuDWah

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrys40 View Post
I have done a sport Coupe top before from Lebaron Bonney. Cam from Lebaron Bonney said it was their most difficult top to install they sold. Their 40 convertible top was 2nd and so having done one of those before she said I should have been fine.

It WAS and Extreme challenge, partly because of 4 mistakes on their part but also because of what it is. It is not just replacing material. It is dealing with the wood structure and bows , covering everything in bow drill , flexible hardboard panels to install and fittings the back curtain etc , and then pulling it all right and getting the curve cut at the corners and pulled and material down to he quarters.
It is important to have enough material to deal with as Lebaron Bonney only left less than a half inch on what I had.
The one I did for a customer turned out great but it was most definately challenging.
Just forewarning you. This install is not for the typical novice .

Upper door panels, visor, rain gutters, landau irons are all parts of the final fit details after he core top to ensure things fit and look and are properly done to make the job look nice and are important elements .
My advice is to find someone who is at least somewhat schooled at doing them or at least roadster tops which are easy to help. Experience is a key factor.

Best of luck !
Larry shepard

Our first re-topping was an L-B kit. Maybe the car gods were watching as it turned out really nice for an amateur job. We took our time and figured out where and how everything fit before cutting/covering/tacking/etc. That said, I agree - get professional help.