Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 AM   #81
29Cabriolet

Default Re: What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboggess View Post
Sitting at a red light next to this pick up truck, he rolls down his window and asks is that a joke.. then he drove off.

Another time i was on a tour, a few of us were on the side of the road helping a fellow with his car, while helping a newer car pulled up but didnt pull over and the guy rudely said our cars shouldnt be on the road if our old cars break down all the time.. The one guy in our group started to tell him off, but the guy sped off. Rude people out there.
Not a comment or question about my car, but another instance of how rude people can be.
Last summer while out cruising around my U-joint disintegrated leaving me stranded on a curvy back road. The car came to rest just around a blind corner. Although I was off the road as much as the shoulder allowed it was visible to drivers coming around the corner. While waiting for my rescue, luckily a good samaritan happened along and offered the use of his orange triangular traffic warning signs. I set one on the very edge of the road around the corner to alert drivers of the road hazard ahead. Within 15 minutes I heard a collision of sorts around the corner. When I investigated I met up with a young out-of-state driver who had run over the orange triangle. He proceeded to yell and curse at me for leaving obstacles in the road where some one could have an accident! He then sped off burning his tires and nearly losing control of his car on the narrow road. I replaced the 3 borrowed signs with a brand new set and kept the remaining two which I now keep in the car.
29Cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:29 AM   #82
klawockvet

Default Re: What strange comments or questions have you heard about your Model A

I have the A in my avitar, as well as a 40 and 47 tudor. I drive them all on a regular basis. Being in my mid seventies what surprises me most is that by far the most common response is a complete lack of notice of them by the younger generation, especially when in southern California. I get a lot of smiles and thumbs up but its almost always from the older generation. I try to be polite and answer questions from those who show an interest, hoping to spike some interest in the hobby. The dumb questions and smart alec comments are often just a lame attempt to start a legitimate conversation.
klawockvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:56 AM   #83
Licensed to kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by klawockvet View Post
I get a lot of smiles and thumbs up but its almost always from the older generation.
Something that I have noticed is that, per capita, I get more waves and thumbs up from bikers and truckers than modern 4 wheelers.
Licensed to kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #84
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Licensed to kill View Post
Something that I have noticed is that, per capita, I get more waves and thumbs up from bikers and truckers than modern 4 wheelers.
I've noticed the same, especially the bikers. Asians usually don't even notice the car but sometimes do all sorts of crazy things to get another look.
I often see the passenger in a car travelling along side me on the freeway gazing at the front wheel of my A. I think they are transfixed by the appearent lack of support for the car. The wheel spinning that fast makes it look like there are no spokes.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:41 PM   #85
woofa.express

good one Mr Amazing. That's the A name for Mr Synchro. yes the kids all enjoy seeing these old and good looking cars.

Some years back myself and 2 friends were driving out of our small town, each of us having donned a Mexican hat with fancy trimmings. Driving in my Tourer (Phaeton). 3 sort of elderly ladies passed us who were driving an up market and expensive Landrover Discovery. As they drew along side they all turned their heads and took a glance at the three of us.
Immediately they broke down and whilst we couldn't hear them they were clearly laughing or roaring their heads off.
the 3 of us have never forgot that.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #86
rocket1

I was doing some volunteer work and I mentioned to one of the gentlemen I was working with that I had to get a new windshield for my ccpu.His remark was where would one even get a new windshield,dah it"s flat glass.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #87
Hoovercw

While sitting still in gridlocked rush hour traffic, I had this lady roll down her window and angrily tell me I shouldn't be driving in rush hour traffic. Obviously I was causing all kinds of delays. I was so happy when my lane started moving faster than hers. LOL.
Hoovercw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 05:03 PM   #88
CarlLaFong

I was at a local car show. Some guy said, loud enough to impress all the people around him, "I'd hate to be that guy when he needs new tires for that thing." I, literally, had 10 miles on a brand new set. They still had parting dust and the little rubber tits on them
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:53 AM   #89
woofa.express

There was a meet in my town of Ford Fairlanes, an earlier model. If I remember correctly there were some 24. That doesn't seem many but do remember Australia has a population of only 24 mil and 85% live in state capitals.
Well I asked a bloke who I had met but don't know well, " which one do you like Rob"?
well I like the maroon ute parked on the roadside.
It was a Model A which was owned by one gary. As in me.
Well take it for a drive Rob, I invited.
He was reluctant for fear of damaging it. I assured Rob any damage could be repaired for after all it was a heap of shit when I purchased it and had been restored and could be done so again.
After much persuasion he reluctantly agreed.
I do encourage all to drive it, after all it was the very first car many drove for the first time. and it didn't stop on the commend "whooa".
My A, and indeed all A's have more class and character than any Fairlane and indeed anything that came off the production line since.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ute at bushlands.jpg (20.4 KB, 14 views)

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM   #90
wawath

When asked Did you buy it new I always say No but my son did.
wawath is offline   Reply With Quote