Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-11-2019, 09:39 PM   #1
Timstruck

Default Fan Install

I am looking for information on installing a cooling fan on a '35-'36 pickup. My project came with an electric fan and I would like to return it to stock or at least close to stock. I am using an alternator (12V) and while it is not stock, is there a way to adapt this to a fan? I am assuming that the fan mounts on the front of the generator via a bracket (which I don't have). Is that the only way it mounts? I have seen some pictures that shows the fan mounted lower than the generator but the pictures I have seen are not clear.

I will need to locate a fan/bracket (and possibly a shroud if that is what came on these).

Any info (and pics) is appreciated.

Thx.
Timstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:08 AM   #2
Drbrown

Default Re: Fan Install

You '35-'36 should be similar to my '47. Yes, fan sits below alternator. Hard to describe in words but on my '47 they share a wish-bone shaped custom bracket. Upper part of wish bone fits around the alternator front and Alternator bolts to it - one bolt each side. A single large bolt beneath adjusts the bracket up/down to tighten alternator belt. The fan has a small bracket that bolts to the first mentioned one, and it adjusts up/down vis two small bolt to tighten it belt. Someone else here must have a photo that shows this.
Drbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 12:56 AM   #3
Ken/Alabama

No, the fan bolts directly to the generator. Some people have a pulley for the alternator and the fan will bolt to it. Never had one myself but have heard some stories about the front bearing on the alternator not being able to handle the thrust load of the fan.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:34 AM   #4
38bill

A modern alt isn't built for the force that a fan puts on them. You could get a stock generator and have it converted to a 12V alt by Whitney and then you can run a stock fan (see link below). The other option is to use the newer fan carrier but then you would need a double wide crank pulley. I'm not sure but with this setup the belts may not clear the older style distributor. The Whitney alternator would be a pretty simple bolt-on deal and still look stock.

http://www.ejwhitneyco.com/automotive.html
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38bill View Post
A modern alt isn't built for the force that a fan puts on them. You could get a stock generator and have it converted to a 12V alt by Whitney and then you can run a stock fan (see link below). The other option is to use the newer fan carrier but then you would need a double wide crank pulley. I'm not sure but with this setup the belts may not clear the older style distributor. The Whitney alternator would be a pretty simple bolt-on deal and still look stock.

http://www.ejwhitneyco.com/automotive.html

So if one is converting to an alternator 12V system (which I am), does that mean the fan has to go? Who on here is running 12V and still has the fan?
Old 01-12-2019, 09:31 PM   #6
Ken/Alabama

Here's a pic of the setup a friend has on his 32. It has a 12 volt PowerGen. It's made to look like a generator but it's actually an alternator. Don't know where he got the pulley to bolt the original fan to. My concern is that the front bearing isn't made for that kind of load. I've heard some say they been running one for many miles and I've heard some bad stories also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (33.7 KB, 75 views)
Old 01-13-2019, 10:44 AM   #7
Timstruck

I'm reading that later flatheads had a fan that was mounted lower than the generator. I can not find any bracket information on this. Can this lower mount be used on the earlier flatheads? I have a '37 block. From what I can tell I would need a double row pulley on the crank to run it. Also, I am using a 'crab' style distributor which I understand should work with the lowered fan.

Also, would a lowered fan be less effective relative to the radiator?
Old 01-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #8
Kahuna

In 1990 I modified a 70's Honda Alternator to use a fan on my 39 Std coupe. It worked well for almost 30 years with no bearing problems. Still working today after I sold the car.
Alternator cost me 5 bucks
Kahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:50 AM   #9
40 Deluxe

Fan placement depends on chassis design; that is, how high does the radiator sit in relation to the engine? Most Thirties Fords had a tall radiator so the fan was mounted to the generator. My '40 has the fan mounted on the crankshaft. Later the fan had its own mount about mid-engine.
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstruck View Post
I'm reading that later flatheads had a fan that was mounted lower than the generator. I can not find any bracket information on this. Can this lower mount be used on the earlier flatheads? I have a '37 block. From what I can tell I would need a double row pulley on the crank to run it. Also, I am using a 'crab' style distributor which I understand should work with the lowered fan.

Also, would a lowered fan be less effective relative to the radiator?
Just some examples of the fan bracket. You can purchase reproductions of this bracket.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg th.jpg (7.8 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg th2.jpg (6.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 8008.jpg (113.2 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 282137926494_1.jpg (7.0 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 01-13-2019 at 01:29 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 01:23 PM   #11
john in illinois

Here is a Whitney alternator with a fan on a 59a. It uses one belt to run pumps and alternator. Uses a standard F ord bracket.

John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BB22E7CD-8B2F-4497-83AC-FAB83AB3E27C.jpg (73.4 KB, 64 views)
john in illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 02:23 PM   #12
38bill

There are a couple of different fan hubs. Mine is the oil filled one as shown below. Since this photo I have switched from the alt shown to a Power Gen alt that looks like a generator.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fan mount.jpg (84.0 KB, 54 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 03:03 PM   #13
Timstruck

I appreciate all the responses and especially the pics!

There are too many variables for me to figure this out at the moment. My setup has the water pumps on the front of the heads and none of the pics above show that. I don't know if the pulley's will line up. I would like to go with the PowerGen or Whitney 12V setups but I am trying to use a dual carb setup as well. The short version of the PowerGen has a note that says not to use a fan mounted on the front (not sure why the short one has the note and not the longer ones...).

Also I notice that some of the PowerGen's have a fixed mount and others have a clamp. I suppose the clamp gives flexibility for fore and aft adjustment, but doesn't seem as strong a setup for mounting a fan on the front.

Confusing...
Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 PM   #14
JM 35 Sedan

It is a bit confusing for someone who has not been through this before. As I read your original post, I wondered which engine and radiator you have in your '35, or is it a '36 pickup? Later in your thread you think your block is a '37, and after that you mention the water pumps are in the heads. Which is very possible to do with a '37 block, and '36 or earlier heads. If this is your actual set-up, you would also have a set of block off plates bolted to the front of the block where the '37-'48 type water pumps would normally have been bolted. If this is your actual set-up, and you definitely want to use a 12V alternator, my suggest would also be to use a stock generator with fan mount pulley, and have Ed Whitney convert that to a 12V alternator. Then you would need to find a stock '35/'36 pickup fan with a four bolt mounting that gives you the correct fan blade to radiator spacing. A high rise 2x2 intake manifold such as a Thickstun PM7 or an Eddie Myers will give you enough space for a stock generator or a Whitney gen/alt conversion.... and I'm still wondering which radiator you are planning to use??

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:15 PM   #15
alanwoodieman

another thing you have to check out, 35/36 I believe have a relief in the bottom of the radiator top tank to allow a gen/alt mounted fan to be used. I mounted one on a 35 Ford, alt with fan and it is still working with no problems just be sure not to tighten the belt too much which if too tight will cause bearing failure
alanwoodieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:53 PM   #16
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM 35 Sedan View Post
It is a bit confusing for someone who has not been through this before. As I read your original post, I wondered which engine and radiator you have in your '35, or is it a '36 pickup? Later in your thread you think your block is a '37, and after that you mention the water pumps are in the heads. Which is very possible to do with a '37 block, and '36 or earlier heads. If this is your actual set-up, you would also have a set of block off plates bolted to the front of the block where the '37-'48 type water pumps would normally have been bolted. If this is your actual set-up, and you definitely want to use a 12V alternator, my suggest would also be to use a stock generator with fan mount pulley, and have Ed Whitney convert that to a 12V alternator. Then you would need to find a stock '35/'36 pickup fan with a four bolt mounting that gives you the correct fan blade to radiator spacing. A high rise 2x2 intake manifold such as a Thickstun PM7 or an Eddie Myers will give you enough space for a stock generator or a Whitney gen/alt conversion.... and I'm still wondering which radiator you are planning to use??

Yes to most of the above.

My truck is a '36 but I have a 37 block with the early cast iron heads with the front mount water pumps. I do have the block-off plates on the front of the block. I don't have a stock generator but rather my project came with an alternator. I understand Whitney needs a core sent in so I would have to locate one if I went that route. The PowerGen looks like a good option but they have two types of mounting...a strap/clamp design and a front fixed bracket. I wouldn't know which one to buy to get correct pulley alignment. The strap/clamp design looks flexible for mounting but not strong for a fan mount. My research into a dual carb setup seems to be leading me to the regular Offenhauser intake (not the super). Over on the HAMB this seems to be the choice to run a stock generator. My radiator is a stock '36.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:11 PM   #17
Charlie ny
BANNED

Tim,
I have used GM style alternators from Mac VanPelt. The alts he sells are made new and hefty.......it's worth a call..........800 299 7496.....
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:23 PM   #18
Charlie ny
BANNED

Tim,
Back at you......check out the Off'y Regular Dual but for the 8BA motor
Speedway #560-1075. The 8 BA version of this intake positions the carbs CENTERED
on the motor not biased towards the rear as the earlier version #560-1090 does. The
carbs are close together but again are centered. If you use an alternator there is
ample room for everything. Van Pelt has the alt bracket too. Used this setup many
times.
Google that 8BA Offy intake.
Charlie ny
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 11:17 PM   #19
Ken/Alabama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timstruck View Post
Yes to most of the above.

My truck is a '36 but I have a 37 block with the early cast iron heads with the front mount water pumps. I do have the block-off plates on the front of the block. I don't have a stock generator but rather my project came with an alternator. I understand Whitney needs a core sent in so I would have to locate one if I went that route. The PowerGen looks like a good option but they have two types of mounting...a strap/clamp design and a front fixed bracket. I wouldn't know which one to buy to get correct pulley alignment. The strap/clamp design looks flexible for mounting but not strong for a fan mount. My research into a dual carb setup seems to be leading me to the regular Offenhauser intake (not the super). Over on the HAMB this seems to be the choice to run a stock generator. My radiator is a stock '36.
The PowerGen with the fixed bracket is the one. The one with the strap fits the later 49-53 flatheads
Old 01-14-2019, 11:23 AM   #20
Timstruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
The PowerGen with the fixed bracket is the one. The one with the strap fits the later 49-53 flatheads

So will the pulley on this setup line up with the head mounted water pumps? I would have to purchase the Offenhauser fan adapter:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Garag...rd,327747.html

On a side note, do the head mounted water pump pulleys and the block mounted water pump pulleys line up?