Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2018, 02:59 AM   #21
Synchro909

Default Re: End of the road

That's not the end of the road, it's only the crest of a hill. Once you top that rise, the rest of the world will appear before you. May you have the strength to handle with dignity all that is coming.

Last edited by Synchro909; 11-12-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Synchro909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 03:57 AM   #22
DennisR

Thank you everyone for your thoughts, reading thru the posts it makes me realise there is always someone worst off than yourself. It doesn`t lessen the grief but sharing it helps. Until it strikes you don`t realise what an impact dementia has on the sufferer, life will never be the same, for either of us. I will come back as time dictates but meanwhile many many thanks for posts...……

Dennis
Old 11-09-2018, 04:55 AM   #23
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisR View Post
Thank you everyone for your thoughts, reading thru the posts it makes me realise there is always someone worst off than yourself. It doesn`t lessen the grief but sharing it helps. Until it strikes you don`t realise what an impact dementia has on the sufferer, life will never be the same, for either of us. I will come back as time dictates but meanwhile many many thanks for posts...……

Dennis
I have a theory that the person least affected by the likes of dimentia is the sufferer. Apart from at the beginning, they don't know what is happening to them and live in an endless state of carefree bliss. I've watched it happen to friends' wives. That may sound harsh but they certainly don't have a worry in the world and trhat is a very different proposition from having an active mind in a failing body.
Again, I wish you the best through your ordeal.
Old 11-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #24
FL&WVMIKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelhoff View Post
Hi Dennis, i happen to be in a comparable situation. My wif has a Waldenstrom cancer as well as a serious liver degeneration. Meaning her speach and behaviour are changing. I take care of her as an almost fulltime job. What stays is the feeling of being alone, even before she dyes !
Still, i learned you have to have something positive to cling to. I am finishing my model A, be it just an hour a day. Bought another vintage moped to restore ... Be it just an hour a day ... While she is sleeping.
Don't know what else to say. Feel very sorry for you, but do NOT forget yourself ! Fulfill your needs as much as possible.
I am sure a Barner will show up willing to put your model A in a garage close to your home ...
This is good advice. A person often needs 'something' to keep themselves grounded in trying times. Just an hour of 'escape' at a time can help keep a person from losing their minds.
Mike Jr. here. I get on here every few months to check messages, and look through his almost 500 saved messages for information on the '29 and '34 I still have. A lot of very nice people on here. He truly enjoyed Ford Barn.
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #25
woofa.express

Yes, I believe Synchro909 is correct. Those living with the fairies are happier than those living with ailments and pain.

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 10:29 PM   #26
kd4lok

Best wishes and prayers from central Florida.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 AM   #27
John in SATX

Sorry for your situation but the car gave you joy for a good while. In reality we al are just caretakers for these wonderful machines. I too am now a full time caregiver. I am privileged to be able to do it but putting miles on the A has suffered. We have a wonderful group of folks in the Alamo A’s and some of us meet each week for breakfast which maintains contacts. Time moves on but what a privilege to have journeyed with The A and such great people.
Old 11-12-2018, 08:52 AM   #28
Corley

Always hate to hear of these things, and count my lucky stars we are not there yet. There is nothing we can do about a lot of life's situations but accept them and move on the best way we can. Be thankful for all the good years and good times you have had!

Best wishes and Sympathy's to all in these bad situations. To the rest of us, let us not forget those friends with these problems, and keep in touch with them...
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:08 AM   #29
Jim M

We all are thinking of you an offering out support. One day at a time, sweet Jesus!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:29 AM   #30
Jeff/Illinois

Dennis, hoping for the best for you and your afflicted partner. Sorry to hear of this. Life can get kinda rough but it works out you will both do OK. Have faith in the Almighty, He is in control.

I had a friend whose Dad went thru Dementia. He was as happy as a lark, was always in a good mood he lived a good life right up to the end. Smiling and laughing every time we went to see him! I hope you two experience that.

I always enjoyed reading your posts. Take care.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:57 PM   #31
Paul Bjarnason

Thank you for the kind words about the forum. That's a sad turn of events for you and your partner. The best of luck to you.
Paul Bjarnason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:54 PM   #32
30 Closed Cab PU

Dennis, I too have been through this with both my parents. Mother had Alzheimers, and Father with vascular dementia with very small strokes. I wish you the best and hope you have local support - family, perhaps church, and hopefully there are local support groups. All of which can help ease the trying times now and in the future.

By accepting the support of others, you may be able to anticipate the challenges of staying 1 or more steps ahead of your partner's decline.
30 Closed Cab PU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 04:16 AM   #33
DennisR

Again thank you all for your thoughts, it`s a learning curve and yes my partner doesn`t know my suffering she is in her own world. There is always someone worse off, my thoughts are with the people caught up in those dreadful fires. I had hoped that we would be making a trip over the pond and maybe meeting a couple of you but I guess that`s out of the question now, anyhow again your thoughts are much appreciated, must get back to the chores...………………...