Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-15-2017, 07:49 PM   #21
[email protected]

Default Re: Float-A-Motor bolt tightness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
When I installed the FAMs on my first A, the rubber block in the third mount (on the cross member) was too small. It fell out onto the road very soon after. I knew immediately when it went and the car would shudder unbelievably when I engaged the clutch in reverse.

Right from the very first sight of a FAM, I thought they were poorly designed because they give little or no "drive", as has been observed above. I've seen a better arrangement made by an owner that involved a piece of angle iron and "L" shaped pads with thinner rubber in the vertical plane to transfer the drive to the chassis.

Mine was a very tight fit. I thought for a while that I would have cut the rubber thinner but I finally got installed after loosening the rear motor mount a jacking the transmission a little higher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnr6776@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #22
[email protected]

Tighten so that the biscuit begins to bulge out a little. Don't tighten too much.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:55 PM   #23
Dino's A

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
There is something else wrong. Float a Motor mount would not cause this. Did you use the Float a Motor piece that holds up the transmission?

I used the front Float A Motor mount as well. The roaster has a nice firm feel but I'm not sure that it is worth the trouble of installing it.

I must add that maybe something else is wrong, but I did notice that my choke rod fit up to the carburetor GAV perfectly where before the FAM was installed, it did not line up perfectly. Seems the angle of the motor was changed with the FAM's and the shimmy started there after. Could the position of the wishbone cause a problem in the front end geometry and start this?
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:11 PM   #24
RawhideKid
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino's A View Post
I must add that maybe something else is wrong, but I did notice that my choke rod fit up to the carburetor GAV perfectly where before the FAM was installed, it did not line up perfectly. Seems the angle of the motor was changed with the FAM's and the shimmy started there after. Could the position of the wishbone cause a problem in the front end geometry and start this?
Most definitely
Old 08-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #25
[email protected]

The ball may be worn out. Very important component for solid front end and steering. I had to replace mine.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #26
[email protected]

Hello Mike

I appreciate your technical post. Too bad the Float-A-Motor company does't provide any information like this.

My question is how many turns on left and right sides would you suggest for a 40 hp engine vs 75 hp? Based on the 35 h.p. difference would you tighten the left side 1.06 turns and .40 on the right side or am I way off base?

Johnr

Old 08-31-2017, 04:44 PM   #27
duke36

We tried about 1 turn just passed the top metal disk not moving and about 1/2 to 3/4 on the passenger side.. All with new rubber donuts, etc. There is some trial and error, which is made a little easier with nylock nuts. A little firmer may be better to add "drive" support and no engine rocking.
duke36 is offline   Reply With Quote