Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-23-2017, 06:35 PM   #1
kimlinh

Default First Drive Problems

I took my 1929 fordor out for its first drive after a long restoration. The first ride is really fun after years of restoring the car, however I do have some problems that I would like some help on. My car wanders badly. I have played with toe in and tightened the steering box (two tooth). This helped a little but the car still wanders from side to side instead of tracking in a straight line. The other problem is the brakes. They are bad. I have cast Iron drums. The lining I used was something I bought years ago. What is the best lining to use on a Model A ? Do the brake improvement Kits sold by most part houses help much? Any advise is much appreciated
kimlinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 07:15 PM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: First Drive Problems

For info on brakes, I suggest you do a search. there has been plenty discussed about them over the years. As for the car wandering, mine did that one time after I rebushed the king pins. They were too tight. I took them apart and used an old king pin with some fine valve lapping paste to remove the high spots, thoroughly cleaned and reassembled. No more wandering. There are other causes for your wandering problem too and I'm sure others will chime in.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

On the wander, tighten the 4 ball ends and make sure of your toe-in. The basic brakes should be pretty good. If they are not, the little refinements you can add won't fix your problem. Don't go buying a bunch of new parts and expect them to be the answer.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
jm29henry

Is the ball on the wishbone good ?
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 PM   #5
larrys40

Addressing your front axle issues first... here are some suggestions.

1. make sure your using the original style radius ball cap assembly assembled properly. As JM 29henry said above make sure your ball isn't worn where it's not tight

2. with the car going left to right like that you probably have play in the steering....
The steering gear must be in good condition and restored and adjusted properly.
The steering adjustments are in the Model A service bulletins and if you follow them step by step in the order stated you should see if it can be adjusted out or if you need a rebuild. At center steer you should have very little play if any at the wheel.

3. Make sure your steering arm is tight on the sector shaft. many cars are loose!
4. if your steering arm balls are work or ovalled they need to be replaced. Al Lepore at A&L specilaties has excellent rebuilt replacements. Also, I recommend the steer eze teflon kit as it is much gentler on the balls and makes steering easier!
5. The rest of your front end must be in good shape:
front spring - must have adequate clearance under spring to axle. _ typically a good front spring you can see some or all of the axle underneath the front apron from the front. If the main spring leaf is resting on the axle it is shot.
Spindle bolts ( king pins) worn. You will have to support the axle and jack stands and see if there is movement in the bushings. If so that's adding to the problem

toe in: 1/32-1/16" I usually set to 1/16.

Brakes : many old stock linings are good, molded/woven, etc. what is NOT good is any older woven with aluminum in them. They are out there.

Brakes are all about doing a quality rebuild replacing all work bushings/shafts/rebuilding levers/pins, etc and relining and arcing shoes to drums. I highly recommend the new cast iron drums of your choice. Randy Gross on here can supply them for you. I do lots of brake work and can tell you it's all about the details and doing them all. You can't shortchange and shouldn't ... done properly they can stop on a dime.

No doubt the new cast iron drums make a huge difference.. but if the rest of your system from pedal to drum isn't done properly they will still be substandard. And.. it proper adjustment is of course key.
There's an old VHS ( not sure if it's on DVD ) that LLoyd Kerr did years ago called "How to stop on a dime" and is all about how to rebuild the brake system. I highly recommend if you plan to do it yourself. If you plan to hire out then get someone who's schooled in "A" brakes ( this is a 30-40 hour job most of the time) and comprehensive rebuilding.

Larry Shepard

Last edited by larrys40; 04-23-2017 at 09:33 PM.
larrys40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:44 PM   #6
Jim/GA

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
kimlihn-

All good advice above about steering issues. You say you just completed a lengthy restoration, so I assume you installed all new parts in the front end and steering system. So I would look at toe-in. Also look at how tight you have the nuts on the front wheel bearings. Loose front bearings will cause a car to wander.

On the brakes, I have found that new linings need to wear in a bit before the high spots are worn down and you get full contact of the shoes to the drums for good braking. BUT, you must adjust the brakes properly or you will never get good braking.

The front actuating pins (go down through the hollow kingpin centers) are usually too short. They need to be built up with weld to get the front actuating arms leaning forward at about a 15 degree angle forward of vertical. I can get you more info on this if you need it. All clevis pins must be tight in their holes.
Jim/GA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:39 PM   #7
kimlinh

Thank you for the replies everyone. I did restore the front end however some of the work was done years ago so I need to recheck my work. I started collecting parts for this car long before I had a place to restore it. This is one reason why it has taken so long to complete.
kimlinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
ChicagoBob

Steering wander isn't caused by the steering box. If the front end is set up correctly, the car will track straight even with no steering input. Wander is usually caused by worn kingpin bushings, incorrect caster (sagging spring), incorrect toe-in, or a worn wishbone connector. Also, remember that the weight of the car rests on the kingpin bearings, on top of the axle, not on the bottom spindle bushing boss.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:55 PM   #9
Synchro909

While what ChicagoBob says is right, if the king pin bushes are too tight, the car will wander as well.
Something that hasn't been mentioned yet but I think is worth mentioning if you are new to driving a Model A! What was the road surface you were driving on like? If there are longitudinal ridges or ruts in the surface, the type of tyres on these cars will follow the rut/groove until you steer out of it, then the car will dart off in the direction you steered. That's just the way it is with what you guys call "Bias Tires". A set of radial ply tyres will fix in immediately, assuming all else is OK.