Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2016, 08:47 PM   #1
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard
Default Anyone using the Nu-Rex tool or advance?

I ran across this last night and whew, does it look sweet.

I am just wondering, with the amount of cars we have here, is anyone using either the tool or the Distributor centrifugal Advance?

Inquiring minds want to know.

http://www.nurex.com/
'28 left brake ccPickup
'31 SW Town Sedan
'28 AA Stake Bed
'30 Cabriolet
'42 Super Deluxe 4door Sedan

"If it don't fit, get a bigger hammer.
If it breaks...... ya needed a new one anyway!!"

Doing a good job here is like wetting your pants in a dark suit.
It gives you a warm feeling, but nobody notices.

Never pass up a bathroom
Never neglect an erection
Never trust a fart
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:02 PM   #2
1crosscut

Default Re: Anyone using the Nu-Rex tool or advance?

I like the Nu-Rex tool. Very simple and works quite well.
Old 12-31-2016, 09:14 PM   #3
Synchro909

I have the tool to set the timing and have used it. It works well and is simple. You can't go wrong.
I also have the advance mechanism though I haven't installed it yet. I intend to.
I acquired it from a friend who took it out of his B engine after a rebuild. He is OLD school and preferred to stay with the original manual method of advancing the ignition. It is invisible once installed and seemed to do a good job from what I recall of the car before he removed it.
Recommended X2
Old 12-31-2016, 10:50 PM   #4
Gary WA

Works for a starting point. But need to still dial in a little closer. Wishing All "A" Happy Model "A" New Year.
Old 12-31-2016, 10:53 PM   #5
31a

I have the tool works good, a friend built some simple lights to hook across the points that light when the points open very easy to use also. I like the point setter that is out now, simply slip a tool over the cam and you can set the points in any position, very easy.
31a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:21 AM   #6
40 Deluxe

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Nothing wrong with the original Ford method. Simple and quick. Just need a 1/2" wrench for the timing pin, a straight screwdriver, hand crank and your eyeballs. No need for all the primping and preening some guys go through!
Here's a summary of page 24 in the Model A Instruction Book: Find TDC with the timing pin. Verify the rotor is pointing at #1 terminal in distributor cap. Remove rotor and loosen cam screw until cam can be turned with a slight drag. Quoting now: "slightly turn the cam in a counter clockwise direction, until the breaker points are fully opened, then slowly turn the cam back in a clockwise direction until the points just close. Next lock the cam by securely tightening the cam locking screw. This method prevents any backlash in the distributor shaft from affecting the timing." End quote.
Next rotate the engine backward a few degrees. Turn on the ignition switch and slowly crank the engine with the hand crank until the pin seats in the dimple. Just as the pin seats, "a spark should occur between the points." Done! Simple!
Next, what happens after you start the engine? You pull the spark lever down to where you like it. You just changed the timing from the original setting! So why fuss and fiddle repeatedly and buy expensive tools?? No need to over think and over complicate!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 12:46 AM   #7
DaWizard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
Nothing wrong with the original Ford method. Simple and quick. Just need a 1/2" wrench for the timing pin, a straight screwdriver, hand crank and your eyeballs. No need for all the primping and preening some guys go through!
Here's a summary of page 24 in the Model A Instruction Book: Find TDC with the timing pin. Verify the rotor is pointing at #1 terminal in distributor cap. Remove rotor and loosen cam screw until cam can be turned with a slight drag. Quoting now: "slightly turn the cam in a counter clockwise direction, until the breaker points are fully opened, then slowly turn the cam back in a clockwise direction until the points just close. Next lock the cam by securely tightening the cam locking screw. This method prevents any backlash in the distributor shaft from affecting the timing." End quote.
Next rotate the engine backward a few degrees. Turn on the ignition switch and slowly crank the engine with the hand crank until the pin seats in the dimple. Just as the pin seats, "a spark should occur between the points." Done! Simple!
Next, what happens after you start the engine? You pull the spark lever down to where you like it. You just changed the timing from the original setting! So why fuss and fiddle repeatedly and buy expensive tools?? No need to over think and over complicate!
Not sure how long you have owned and timed a Model A, but after reading and watching the video from Nu-Rex, I bought the tool.
Since I have been setting the points and timing for the last 55+ years, I find it intriguing someone has come up with a simpler way of doing it.

So glad you read and understood the question the post was about.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:14 AM   #8
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary WA View Post
Works for a starting point. But need to still dial in a little closer. Wishing All "A" Happy Model "A" New Year.
Why? Even if the timing is set 5 degrees out (and that's a lot), you simply pull the lever a little more or less down as you drive. There is more than enough room to do it.
Don't over think these things!
Old 01-01-2017, 01:29 AM   #9
Tom Wesenberg

New Years resolution.............MUST set timing, MUST reset timing, MUST reset timing again, must keep resetting timing until it doesn't start!
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:09 AM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

You run across it last night and you have already bought it and used it ? You sure are quick! Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:52 AM   #11
Drive Shaft Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wesenberg View Post
New Years resolution.............MUST set timing, MUST reset timing, MUST reset timing again, must keep resetting timing until it doesn't start!
x 20 on to infinity.
Drive Shaft Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:19 AM   #12
Al 29Tudor

Quote:
My first chuckle of the new year
Thank you
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:55 AM   #13
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor View Post
My first chuckle of the new year
Thank you
Me too! Thanks Tom.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:56 AM   #14
Gary WA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
Why? Even if the timing is set 5 degrees out (and that's a lot), you simply pull the lever a little more or less down as you drive. There is more than enough room to do it.
Don't over think these things!
Because i'm perfect and I can!Why mess with the lever do it right. To many people play with the lever!!! and at 67 I'll do it perfect! Happy Model "A" New Year!
Old 01-01-2017, 10:08 AM   #15
zzlegend

Quote:
LOL. Just made my morning.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:22 AM   #16
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I have also found the nurex tool gets you close but not right on the money. I find a tad amount of play where the tool fits onto the shaft along with other variables such as when winding the tool around to remove the rotational play its not always the same as cranking and setting it with a screwdriver..that will put you close but not always perfect. I like to set the timing to be as perfect as i can so that when i am starting the car with the lever up i know that i am not overly advanced or retarted. In the end this will affect my final carb adjustments which i have not seen mentioned. I have the tool and mainly bought it to check it out,,,i carry it in my tool travel bag but when playing at home i set it the correct way....

Happy New Year to all you Barners...
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #17
emf

Not too many mentions of the auto advance gyro... I have one and it does the job...
My A has a B engine with some modifications... Stipe Cam, Brumfield head, downdraft carbs. When I had the standard B distributor with mechanical advance, the engine would run hot at higher speeds. After testing the water pump, radiator flow, adding washers to restrict the flow in the upper hose, all of that, I turned to timing. I looked at the timing with a light at all rpm's and notice that the timing mark only advance about 12 degrees max. I discussed this with Bob at Nurex, both in Hershey and on the phone and told him my story. He suggested that the original B distributor was not advancing the timing enough for my application and suggested the auto advance gyro. The car runs better than ever and the high temps at higher speeds is a thing of the past. I found it simple to understand and simple to install. I never looked back.....

Frank
emf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #18
DaWizard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by emf View Post
Not too many mentions of the auto advance gyro... I have one and it does the job...
My A has a B engine with some modifications... Stipe Cam, Brumfield head, downdraft carbs. When I had the standard B distributor with mechanical advance, the engine would run hot at higher speeds. After testing the water pump, radiator flow, adding washers to restrict the flow in the upper hose, all of that, I turned to timing. I looked at the timing with a light at all rpm's and notice that the timing mark only advance about 12 degrees max. I discussed this with Bob at Nurex, both in Hershey and on the phone and told him my story. He suggested that the original B distributor was not advancing the timing enough for my application and suggested the auto advance gyro. The car runs better than ever and the high temps at higher speeds is a thing of the past. I found it simple to understand and simple to install. I never looked back.....

Frank
Whew, what a breath of fresh air. THANKS emf, THAT is exactly what I was asking for, someone using the parts.

Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #19
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWizard View Post
Whew, what a breath of fresh air. THANKS emf, THAT is ""exactly"" what I was asking for, someone using the parts.

Happy New Year!
Heading of thread anyone using the nurex tool or advance??
Post #1 is anyone using the tool and a link to it

Apparently more have experience with the tool as most run stock cars.... maybe change your original question or start another thread if u feel u go to many tool responses or never wanted to hear them at all.

Its gonna be an interesting YEAR

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 01-01-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:25 AM   #20
DaWizard
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Heading of thread anyone using the nurex tool or advance??
Post #1 is anyone using the tool and a link to it

Apparently more have experience with the tool.... maybe change your original question or start another thread if u feel u go to many tool responses or never wanted to hear them at all.

Its gonna be an interesting YEAR
Are you saying that the first line of the post, "I am just wondering, with the amount of cars we have here, is anyone using either the tool or the Distributor centrifugal Advance?", isn't plain enough?

Since all I got for responses was about the tool, it is a breath of fresh air to get a response on the Advance unit.

I am truly sorry Mitch, that folk read what they want and not what is written, seems this happens all over the world withing all age groups, and it seems it happens way too often within this forum, as well as the dysfunctional "Preview Post" that folk don't seem to use to review their posts and correct grammar and spelling.

Last edited by DaWizard; 01-01-2017 at 12:27 PM.