Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
leo

Question Hutchins Ahooga Horn Needs in Depth Review

I know that Hutchins horns are not "Model A" but they serve a purpose for those who cannot afford to go with originals at the present time. The Hutchins horn though a $12.00 item in the 1960's is probably the best made ahooga horn since the Sparton and their contemporaries at that time. The new Harbor Freight type are not that good (being polite). It would be nice if some knowledgeable person would write an article in layman's terms about how these horns were made and how to service (restore) them. Searching through the previous posts I've found several posts which kind of nibble around the subject but none that address the difference between 6 and 12 volt construction and how to service them correctly.
leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:58 PM   #2
ursus

Default Re: Hutchins Ahooga Horn Needs in Depth Review

Leo, thanks for raising the issue. My car came with a Hutchins 6-volt horn that has the screen intact within the horn. I am curious how the sound can be adjusted as it sounds more like "mooo" than "ahoo-ga".
ursus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #3
Brian T

My Double A came with a Hutchins, the first thing I did was clean the armature and it worked, well a feeble grunting noise at least, - to adjust the tone you have to go thru the bell, inside you will see a lock nut and the adjusting screw, using a 7/16 socket loosen the nut and turn the screw a little at a time to get the tone it may take a few tries.
I ended up painting mine, installing the correct mounting bracket, the screws for the horn and the screen, to make it look more like its expensive options, it also sounds good when the engine is not running, I let the kids try it when at the shows.
Old 04-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
Mikeinnj

Any photos of this imposter horn ?
Mikeinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #5
barnstuf

I recall the Hutchins horn very well. It was a popular copy of the original horn and came in your choice of 6v or 12v. My recollection is that changing its operation from 6v to 12v or back the other way, just involved changing the location of a wire after removing the horn cover. When the owner of the firm retired he just closed the business and did not sell it, As I recall.I think they were originally produced as a boats warning horn and found a larger sales niche quite by accident in the Model A Ford market.
barnstuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:54 PM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeinnj View Post
I don't have a picture, but they are the common aftermarket horn with the chrome trumpet with no screen. My 29 Tudor had one on it when I bought the car, so I polished the chrome and sold it on ebay. It actually sounded as good as any genuine Model A horn.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #7
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Between these you will have almost a 360 degree view on the horn.

https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showpo...64&postcount=2
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=184621
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=183882
https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=166489
Old 04-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #8
Joe K

I have never owned an original Model A horn for my car - but now own a succession of Hutch horns.

A few spare dollars and some spare time in the motel while traveling on business brought me to Ebay where I started shopping for an actual Ames or whatever Model A horn. Most were (ahem) a little rough or a little outside of my pocketbook or had a question mark attached to them.

One Ames repop I ended up buying.

Brand new, it looks EXACTLY like the repop Ames made by A&L - but has no nameplate. Does anyone know of anyone other than A&L reproducing the horn?

Meanwhile I now have three, no four Hutch horns - one is 12v. Put it on the 6v circuit and it sounds like a sick cow. Put the 6v horns on 12v and they sound like a cow on meth!

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 04-26-2016 at 06:38 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 07:49 AM   #9
leo

This is good start. About the issue by barnstuf, anyone have some specifics about the 6 to 12 volt wire change? How about some motor photos with details about which wires do what. I also recall that some of these horns came with two wires and some came with only one. Thank you all for the input.
Old 04-27-2016, 04:05 PM   #10
leo

It appears that no one has any additional information to provide. Come on guys, I know some of you have tinkered with these. Please share what you have learned with us.
Old 04-28-2016, 11:29 PM   #11
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
It appears that no one has any additional information to provide. Come on guys, I know some of you have tinkered with these. Please share what you have learned with us.
What exactly are you looking for?

This was in a link I posted from a guy that restores horns,

"The horn in this pic is one of those Hutchins horns. They are not designed to be repaired nor rewound. When one goes out, you trash it and get another one or the correct horn for your baby."

Last edited by Mike V. Florida; 04-29-2016 at 01:19 AM.
Mike V. Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:58 AM   #12
leo

OK Mike, what I'm looking for is photos and wiring information about the 6 and 12 volt models, one and two wire models and how to do functional repairs in laymen's terms. As far as being not designed to be repaired, there is someone on ebay who claims that they do new bushings, strikers, rewire motors and cut/balance armatures. No, I'm not looking to do all that, just enough knowledge to do minor repairs. There have been many previous posts on these horns but none get into the wiring differences or detail repair information. I apologize to whoever posted that this thread is terrible.

Last edited by leo; 04-29-2016 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 11:15 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo View Post
OK Mike, what I'm looking for is photos and wiring information about the 6 and 12 volt models, one and two wire models and how to do functional repairs in laymen's terms. As far as being not designed to be repaired, there is someone on ebay who claims that they do new bushings, strikers, rewire motors and cut/balance armatures. No, I'm not looking to do all that, just enough knowledge to do minor repairs. There have been many previous posts on these horns but none get into the wiring differences or detail repair information. I apologize to whoever posted that this thread is terrible.
The reason there was no previous information is that those in the motor/horn repair business said there was nothing that could be done once they failed.

Actually your's is good information, Neil the horn guy was the one that said they are not repairable, now we know that can be fixed. See, you have greater knowledge then those here. Do you have the contact info for the Ebay guy?

As for wiring, positive and ground, that's it. Try it out on 6 volts first then if it sounds like a sick cow try it on 12volts. One wire units. the wire to battery the horn body to ground. two wires, one to pos one to neg.

Let us know and you can by the the guru of the Hutchen Horn. Really How did most of the "go to guys" here on this site become knowledgeable? By investigation and hands on.
Old 04-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #14
leo

Hey Mike, the guy on ebay goes by the name Hutchinsco and has a 100% satisfaction rating and I have had some emails with him trying to extract what information I could. Here is what was discussed:
Q-How to determine 6 or 12 volt:
A-If the motor coils have green & copper wire they are six volt also if yhey have two power wires. I modified mine for two wires only since 2002. They stopped making these in 1974. I started re making them in 02.
Q-I have some one lead horns with green and copper winding that are labeled 12 volt???
A-On the field or armature? Don't use a battery charger to test these horns.
Q-On the field. Can't use a battery charger to test both 6 and 12 volt? What should I use? And I also have what appears to be a Hutchins with a small green motor on it that says St. Louis Products Co. 6 Volt?
A-Green on field and thick wire on armature is 6 volt. The difference in rpm on 6 volt and 12 volt. 6 volt is 2000 faster on 12 volt this will burn is ten honks.
Old 04-30-2016, 08:22 AM   #15
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

I think the message is that they are like disposable cameras. Use it and throw in the garbage. In other words not worth fixing. Everything can be fixed but some it costs more to fix than replace. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:50 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Like I said Leo, you are now the man when it comes to these horns!!
Old 05-01-2016, 12:30 PM   #17
leo

I'm both humbled and honored.........
Old 03-31-2017, 09:06 PM   #18
mill48

Joe K., where on the vehicle do you have your Hutchins horns mounted? They are so large that there are not many options for mounting them on the Model A.
mill48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:33 PM   #19
BILL WILLIAMSON

Does anyone make an electronic GIZMO, that sounds like an AHOOGA horn?
Bill W.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:17 PM   #20
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill48 View Post
Joe K., where on the vehicle do you have your Hutchins horns mounted? They are so large that there are not many options for mounting them on the Model A.
? they are the same size as the "normal" horns.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #21
MikeK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill W.
Yes, my cell phone. There are several different AHOOGA ringtones you can download. If you Bluetoothed the phone to some kickazz 1000 watt woofers you could use the phone to shatter windows. AHOOGA!
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 12:46 AM   #22
redmodelt

Some, I think the 12 ones, have a longer rear cover. It's the same diameter, the rear cover and the bell is the same on long or short rear cover models except for the short bell model but I don't know it came in 6, 12 or both.
Old 08-16-2017, 02:35 PM   #23
hutchinsco

Quote:
There is no imposter Horn I own the company and Build new and Re manafactured horns 6 & 12 volt
hutchinsco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:37 PM   #24
hutchinsco

The longer rear cover is built by American Electric. the motors are marked on the End bell 6 & 12 volt
Old 08-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #25
hutchinsco

There is no Imposter Horn I own the company
Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
hutchinsco

The new hutchins horns are 5 1/2 diameter and 10 1/2 long same as the original ones
Old 03-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #27
Purdy Swoft

I got my first horn from JC Whitney in 1976 for $12.95 , the best that I remember . My horn has been used a lot in the past years and still works good . The only thing that I have ever had to do was to adjust it . The adjustment is made through the bell and that is the only thing that I don't like about it . If these horns get far enough out of adjustment , the horn will just motor but not make any ahooga sound at all . My experience with these horns has been that they are better horns than the originals . I've had a few original horns that I sold . The original Horns are not as loud and powerful as the Hutchins horns that I use . The original horns are not loud enough to be of much use as a safety or warning device !!! The Hutchins horns Look close enough to original for my use . I sand the chrome bell and paint it black, I use original style screws and nuts to attach the bell , I install a screen and rivet on a name plate .
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:11 PM   #28
rogerkb1936

in short, they are rubbish
rogerkb1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:20 PM   #29
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerkb1936 View Post
in short, they are rubbish
Each to his own as the driver said as he turned his non-pop-out key.

Like or not they are part of "Model A-Landia." Like Tillotson X, like Marvel Scheibler, like Autolite Manifold Heaters. Like Mallory distributors. Like clothes pins on the gas line.

Like Leak-pruf water pumps, like thermostat inserts, like seat belts, like 12v ignition systems.

Some of these I consider junque, others are my improvement of choice. But all are discussion fodder to fertilize our Model A Interest.

I rather like my Hutchins horns. Even the 12v one which sounds like a sick cow on the 6v Model A. One even got fitted with a screen. I do paint the chrome bell on the one which came to me that way.

Until I could get closer to my Ames Repop - they served a need - and for $3 at the auto flea market - who could resist?

Just don't talk to me about the 2/3rd size plastic Harbor Freight horn.

Although doubtless SOMEONE looks on these with some mid-placed (IMHO) affection.

Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 03-13-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:34 PM   #30
The Master Cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hutchinsco View Post
There is no imposter Horn I own the company and Build new and Re manafactured horns 6 & 12 volt
Where would one purchase a new Hutchins Co. horn?

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:51 PM   #31
Joe K

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post
Five pages of Google query did not come up with a current manufacturer. The original Hutchins Co. was based in Charleston, MO - but not showing now.

The repop horns probably in original boxes are being sold on Ebay, but it is apparent the source are the "antique & curio" tradesmen, not the manufacturer.

As Hutchinsco (Forum name) has only five posts perhaps this like many other "aftermarket" products has gone their way.

Joe K
Old 03-13-2019, 03:59 PM   #32
The Master Cylinder

Thanks Joe K. After a second look I realized the post was from 2 years ago and was recently resurrected.

Enjoying life at the beach in SoCal...
The Master Cylinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 05:55 AM   #33
jquinlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
Bill W.
Hmmmm Might be an opportunity to create an iphone ahooga APP that transmits via bluetooth to an amplified speaker mounted somewhere in front of the car. JUST KIDDING !!! (but it would work lol)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #34
Ray in La Mesa

Had a Hutchins horn underneath the floorboard of my '70 VW van for many years till someone actually stole it, the horn, not the van! Still have the van (original owner, I bought it new) but now it has a six cylinder 911 Porsche motor, goes up hills nicely.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #35
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Master Cylinder View Post

He used to sell them on ebay.