Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-15-2014, 04:53 AM   #21
johnbuckley

Default Re: fuel consumption idleing?

So... anyone care to answer the original question" What's the fuel consumption when idling?"
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:59 AM   #22
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbuckley View Post
So... anyone care to answer the original question" What's the fuel consumption when idling?"
There is no answer as the poster never told us what kind of car.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:07 AM   #23
Tom Wesenberg

I would use a tygon hose and a quart jar of gas, then run the engine until you use up 1/2 quart of gas, then multiply the minutes times 8 and you'll know how long it will run on a gallon of gas. This would be good to know if you had to run the engine for heat while stuck in a snowbank. I got stuck in a blizzard in South Dakota with my Corvair, but after 30 minutes I had to walk a half mile to my uncle's farm house because the Corvair heat was poor when the temp was below about 10 degrees. After that my hands freeze up very quickly when I go outside in the winter, even with gloves on.

A Model A with a manifold or hot water heater would have provided much better heat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:34 AM   #24
George Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWest View Post
Excuse me!!!!
I recently started my car and left it ideling for 1 hr and then another 1 hr.
And then I can;t restart.
Just wanted to see if I ran out of gas!!!!
Excuse me for asking!
Because if my gas line now has air in it...I will have to inject gasin the line.
Why not take the gas cap off and put a stick in there and see if you have gas. Or put some gas in the tank and see if it starts.

There really is not a good answer to your question. It depends on a lot of things. How fast the ideal, where the spark is set, how you have the carb set, what kind of shape your engine is in,If you have the 10 percent crap gas, the list goes on.
George Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #25
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Do we know the make of car involved ? I think not. It sounds like it may well not be a Model A Ford. Could FrankWest please clarify this issue first. .
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #26
1931 flamingo

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
It's a 33 4 cyl. Ck his avatar.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 01:02 PM   #27
Big hammer

Would a no reply be more productive than bashing Kind of like play ground
bulling I don't mean to be an ass IMO
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:46 PM   #28
rocket1

I think it is a interesting question,what amount of fuel does a model A burn at an idle for a given time,of course it would depend on the idle speed and carb settings,type of fuel etc.
rocket1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #29
Don/WI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Sea/Tac View Post
It's a really odd question and I too was curious as to why. Weren't you?
To answer your question, yes I was curious. But I have never understood why people answer questions with another question. That's just me. I'm sure not everyone will agree. Don/WI
Don/WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 11:35 PM   #30
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don/WI View Post
To answer your question, yes I was curious. But I have never understood why people answer questions with another question. That's just me. I'm sure not everyone will agree. Don/WI
Some people do it to gather more information to give a better answer, some just to be an ass.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #31
FrankWest

Well!
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 AM   #32
FrankWest

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
I believe FrankW has trans-posted his forums. The car is a '33 4 cylinder. He seems to be having a problem finding a good troubleshooting method.

FrankW........Over on the V8 Forum, you noted this morning that you added more fuel.......should not be a fuel quantity problem.

After being given lots of good advice, you FINALLY checked to see if you had any SPARK. You finally alluded to the "NO SPARK" result. Not sure why you'd come over to the Model A Forum and request fuel quantity info again, especially on a '33. You really need to be more clear and organized with your symptoms and other info if the 'Barn folks are going to be able to help you. This is at least the second time you've moved or re-started a thread on this subject. DD
At 65 years old I never thought I would be bullied!
Did you attend PS 116 in Queens in 1961? Yout sound just like the kid that bullied me back then. I will not post again....., I will not use this forum
Excuseme for just being excited about my car...I should have known better an kept my excitement to myself.
FrankWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #33
johnbuckley

Good on yer Frank - illegitimi non carborundum- (don't let the bastards grind you down) From a very rough calculation I reckon a Ford A idles at about 6 litres per hour. ( er that's about 1.3 imperial galls per hour, er er 1.6 US galls)
Old 11-16-2014, 01:30 PM   #34
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Frank,

FWIW:

In my humble opinion, your very simple, honest & straightforward question was no different than so many simple, basic questions ever asked on "any" vehicle Forum; like maybe:

1. Have coolant on floor, so where is my coolant leak? Why does my front tire leak?
2. Have oil on floor, so where is my oil leak? Gas, so where is my gas leak?
3. Why my car won't start? How many mpg should I expect with W18 plugs?

The "exact", correct answers, even though most embarrassing to the "Model A Know-It-Alls" are: Nobody on "any" Forum really knows the "exact", specific answers to such "general" questions.

So, in some cases, some reply with wild guesses; 79.46% ask you to check your condenser, (even if the problem is that the front tire is low); in good faith, some ask a few questions for more details; & some may try to make a joke out of the question; but such is life.

Again, in my opinion, your reply #32 should be a reminder for "all" of us that we "may" have accountants, lawyers, doctors, etc., who just obtained a vintage car.

Then this person, (very much "uninformed" about vintage vehicles, but skilled in another area), just asked a simple question.

If you re-review your above replies, it appears many were really trying to help.

We all have seen replies like your reply #32. It should be respected, & it hits home for those who care.

I like your car, & I think if you have any questions, you should just jump back in
& tell somebody else to check his coil when his transmission is leaking. Such is life.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 11:19 PM   #35
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
It's a 33 4 cyl. Ck his avatar.
Paul in CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
There is no answer as the poster never told us what kind of car.
I did see his avatar. That is not always the case. If you check back one of the posters on this question has an airplane as an Avatar. It was indeed a logical question.
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 12:31 AM   #36
Tom Wesenberg

I can drive my Model A at 2000 RPM pushing the car down the road, and burn 2 gallons of gas per hour, so I would think the engine idleing at 500 RPM and not pushing a load would burn less than half a gallon per hour.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:12 AM   #37
johnbuckley

Yes, you're right Tom , thanks. I think your figure using common sense is probably much nearer than my figure which i extrapolated from how long the engine idles after switching off the fuel tap!
Old 11-17-2014, 01:39 PM   #38
H. L. Chauvin

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for your very intelligent & compassionate reply #35.

I sincerely hope Mr. Frank reads it & can assure him enough peace of mind to jump back on this Forum with both feet.

Furthermore, anyone ever notice what happens when someone reports on a Forum that he has a very parochial question which he announces as a "Stupid" question.

Next, "everybody" gets up on his soap box to preach: "There is no such thing as a "stupid" question."

Then another very kind & considerate person asks a very legitimate & honest question
where nobody really understands why this question was asked .......... so back on the soap box where some appear to preach -- What a "Stupid" question.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #39
marc hildebrant

I have wanted to leave this forum at times too, due to personal attacks against me.

However, I have found that after awhile, I just skip the note if it's from the usual "insulting people".

I learned many years ago, that some people "hide" behind a keyboard and couldn't make it in a face to face meeting saying the type of crap that they use in the forum.

There are many good people here, but, there are also some real jerks...

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:00 PM   #40
zzlegend

Well said and right to the point Marc. And I totally agree with you.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote