Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-31-2016, 09:45 AM   #1
mwann

Default New to Ford Barn site

I'm new to the site, have a 31' Model A been sitting in the shed since I drove it in there. Since I bought it I never have registered it, just kept in storage. Bought the car out of state, I live in KS, to get the car registered in KS I am told I need to have a MVE done by the KHP. There is no visible VIN, I've been told it is stamped into the top of the frame near where you foot rests on the clutch. I'm not in a position to pull the body off and run into issues. My question is does anyone know if a new VIN may be issued in the state of KS on an antique vehicle such as mine that was bought out of state?

thanks,
Mark
mwann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 09:52 AM   #2
DaWizard
BANNED

Send a message via AIM to DaWizard
Default Re: New to Ford Barn site

If you have a title with a number on it, check the left side of the engine just above the water inlet. There should be a cast boss with the number stamped onto that.

Should start with A*something* or AA or CA. This is what was used to identify the vehicle, there is no actual 16digit "VIN" as that practice wasn't started until sometime in the '60s.

All the KHP should need to do is verify the number with the title.

If you don't have a title, good luck.
DaWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:04 AM   #3
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Welcome to the Barn and Happy New Years! Ask away whenever you have a question. Try to Ouse the search function whenever possible. Good advice above. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:17 AM   #4
Dollar Bill

Mark, welcome to the Barn! Originally the motor number was the same as frame number but it is not unusual for the engine to be replaced during it's lifetime.

If engine number doesn't match your title, your DMV should have a procedure to cover this or you could apply for a lost or reconstruction title. Maybe someone more familiar with KS DMV will chime in.

Best of luck ��
Old 12-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

https://www.dmv.com/ks/kansas/custom...e-registration
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 11:11 AM   #6
1930artdeco

Hi Mark and welcome! What body style do you have? If the DMV makes you lift the body to see the number (you are correct in its location) then the body will make a big difference. If it is a coupe/roadster then just a couple of friends and the body is off, look and then down again. "Fairly simple". If it is a sedan then it get much more complicated as you need a couple more people, and you have to watch the four doors. the doors are where the main problem is going to be as you may have to realign them.

When I brought my car to CA, I conveniently forgot about the frame number as I knew the engine had been replaced. I showed them the tag that OR had installed and explained that what OR had used and the DMV was educated, happy and used that number.

Mike
Old 12-31-2016, 12:52 PM   #7
Dick Steinkamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWizard View Post
there is no actual 16digit "VIN" as that practice wasn't started until sometime in the '60s.
The standardized VIN is actually 17 characters and began in 1981. The format is still used today.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicl...ication_number

Note on the link that Mitch provided that you don't need a KHP inspection if you are applying for a TITLE ONLY. You will need the inspection only when you are ready to put it on the road to insure it is road worthy. Looks like all you need is a Bill of Sale and an Ownership Affidavit. Call or visit your County Treasurer's Office to be sure.
Old 12-31-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
KGBnut

I strongly recommend seeking out a local Model A club. The regulations vary so greatly from state to state that advice from anyone outside of Kansas (no matter how well intended) has to be taken with a grain of salt. It can also vary from DMV office to DMV office. You want to talk to someone local. They even might know the right guy to talk to at DMV.

Even beyond the registration process. It is good to have the contact of a local bunch of Model A guys.

Good luck.

Ken
Old 12-31-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
ronn

Kansas is the easiest state in the nation. Have a fellow Kansas friend write you a bill of sale and presto,
you will get a title in KS. it really is that simple.
Your vin is on the drivers side of the engine. That is it..................

dont let anyone tell you otherwise.
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:01 AM   #10
mwann

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWizard View Post
If you have a title with a number on it, check the left side of the engine just above the water inlet. There should be a cast boss with the number stamped onto that.

Should start with A*something* or AA or CA. This is what was used to identify the vehicle, there is no actual 16digit "VIN" as that practice wasn't started until sometime in the '60s.

All the KHP should need to do is verify the number with the title.

If you don't have a title, good luck.
Car doesn't have original engine so the number doesn't match the title. thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:03 AM   #11
mwann

Thanks Dollar Bill.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:08 AM   #12
mwann

Mitch//PA; thanks for the information. The website is not affiliated with the actual KS DMV. A MVE is required by the state of KS, which is what the KHP will fill out while inspecting the vehicle looking for the VIN. There is no visible VIN, engine has been changed out so it doesn't match title. Thank you.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:13 AM   #13
mwann

1939artdeco, thank you for your reply. The body style is a five window couple with rumble seat. I should of included that in my intro post. Thank you.
Old 01-01-2017, 07:16 AM   #14
mwann

Thank you KGBnut, good advice. I'll do a search on KS antique car clubs to see what I can find out.
Old 01-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #15
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwann View Post
Mitch//PA; thanks for the information. The website is not affiliated with the actual KS DMV. A MVE is required by the state of KS, which is what the KHP will fill out while inspecting the vehicle looking for the VIN. There is no visible VIN, engine has been changed out so it doesn't match title. Thank you.
What number is on the title? Use "XXX" for the last three digits if you are concerned about posting the whole number.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 11:34 PM   #16
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Welcome