Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2012, 01:17 AM   #41
KR500

Default Re: Embarassing momments

There are no free scholarships to the school of experience!
KR500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 AM   #42
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNNERBUN View Post
Come on Bill, you can do it. Don't be shy. Kind of like going to confession, makes you feel good afterwards.
O.K! O.K! RUNNERBUN,
Here's my best shot & it's TRUE! Had a bad reaction to Flexarill, a muscle relaxant, hallucinations, "little people" etc for 3 1/2 weeks!
In the beginning, I was under the '30 coupe adjusting the brakes for a run to Hollister, scooted out & was staring at the running board splash apron and I could see little tiny FORD scripts, in RED, all over it! DAMN! Chuck didn't cut & polish this panel! he just covered it with a plastic overlay, wonder where he got that? DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!
Yes, I made the 180 mile trip O.K. & shortly after, I was in the horspistal & re-hab for 3 1/2 weeks. The cute nurses at re-hab thought I was an old man, spaced out on drugs! Well! I WAS!! Bill W.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #43
RUNNERBUN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
O.K! O.K! RUNNERBUN,
Here's my best shot & it's TRUE! Had a bad reaction to Flexarill, a muscle relaxant, hallucinations, "little people" etc for 3 1/2 weeks!
In the beginning, I was under the '30 coupe adjusting the brakes for a run to Hollister, scooted out & was staring at the running board splash apron and I could see little tiny FORD scripts, in RED, all over it! DAMN! Chuck didn't cut & polish this panel! he just covered it with a plastic overlay, wonder where he got that? DAMN! DAMN! DAMN!
Yes, I made the 180 mile trip O.K. & shortly after, I was in the horspistal & re-hab for 3 1/2 weeks. The cute nurses at re-hab thought I was an old man, spaced out on drugs! Well! I WAS!! Bill W.
I just knew it. I knew you had in you Bill. Well done!
Old 09-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #44
kp

Not related to Model a's but all this ass kickin reminds me of the guy who was on the roof thinkin bout "other times " he remembered how when he was a single man he went to help a divorced neighbor lady do some repairs in her house,after all the repair work was finished she appeared in her house coat and asked if he needed anything else,while on the roof he figured out what she wanted and he kicked himself in the ass fell of the roof and broke his leg.
kp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #45
Napa Skip

Well, now that we've introduced humor into this thread:

An engineer was riding a bike when he happened upon another engineer. “Where did you get the spiffy red bike?” asked the second engineer. “Well, I was standing by the road when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike, dismounted, took off all her clothes and said I could have anything I wanted.” “Well, you probably made the right choice,” said the second engineer, “The clothes wouldn’t have fit.”
MARC of San Diego (1977-1978)
MAFCA (since 1978)
MARC (since 1977)
----------
Model A owners belong in their Model A’s; Model A’s belong on the road.
Napa Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:17 PM   #46
Keith True

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I tanked up my A one Saturday after lunch,stopped at home for a minute and headed out.My wife owned a camp about 35 miles from here so I would run up there in the afternoon and come home the next day.About two miles from home the truck just quit.I took a quick look,no fuel to the carb.No fuel coming out of the bowl either.Very odd,as I have an extremely clean system with a finger screen and no tank liner to melt into goop.I turned the line upside down to blow in it,and listened for bubbles with the cap off.No bubbles,just a hiss.I had no gas.Where did it go?I figured with a leak big enough to lose 10 gallons in two miles I would have smelled something.Luckily I was in front of the town dump on dump day so I had plenty of folks I knew offering anything I needed.I poured in a couple of quarts of gas and drove home looking for a leak.When I got home I realized I had filled up the roadster and then driven off with the pickup.I had gotten sidetracked with a couple of people at the shop and just drove off with the wrong vehicle.I've done a lot of dumb things in almost 40 years of working on equipment,never anything major.Most were of the,stand back,this might not work type of thing.Also known as hold my beer and watch this.I think my best was when I was about 13,my mini bike clutch was so worn out it would no longer engage.I jammed two pair of vise grips between the shoes,clamped tight to the drum,making it direct drive.I figured I could start it with the rear wheel off the ground on a cement block and push it off.As soon as it fired the vise grips were off and flying.One pair hit the ground,and the other pair took the brake lever right off the handlebars.I was straddling the bike,the parts just happened to go away from me.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:26 PM   #47
flatheadkev

An old engineering was laying in a hospital bed. He was approached by his very pretty, young nurse and asked if he would like super sex. He replied,"I'll take the "soup".
flatheadkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:12 AM   #48
dave in australia

Just after I purchased my A, I had to clean out the carb. So I pulled it down cleaned out all the rust flakes and dirt, which was blocking all except the main jet. At the same time, the venturi was badly corroded swollen and cracked, so I turned a new one up in the lathe. After putting it all back together, fired up the old girl. Adjusted the carb, running sweet. The next day, go on a club observation run, fill her up at the start. Fifty miles later, needed to fill up again, what?....oh no. Yep, forgot to screw the GAV seat back in. Got home, and there it was, sitting on the workbench waiting patiently to get put back into service.
I've also done the 'forgot to turn the fuel tap on' and also 'turn the ignition on' thing at various times in all my vintage cars.
There's only two type of people who don't make mistakes, those who don't work and liars.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #49
james hitchcock

I can now add to this forum. Today I decided to find out why Ol Walter wasn't starting. I found that the timing was way off. Got adjusted correctly and wanted to check the spark and cranked him over touching the coil wire to the head stud. Then without thinking I touched I touched the coil wire to a plug (not realizing that Walter was badly flooded) next thing is a extremely loud kaboom ! He sparked alright and in the process blew a fist sized hole in the muffler. My neighbor was a block over and he said he heard it. Now I can also post on the farmer fixes when I cut a large coffee can and band it around my muffler.

Last edited by james hitchcock; 09-22-2012 at 10:54 PM.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #50
RUNNERBUN

Fortunately no personal injury or uncontroled fire destroying you pride and joy. The muffler is an easy fix. The Farmer fix is OK for the short term, but why not give ol Walter a birthday present and install a nice new shiny Stainless Muffler. If ol Walter really likes his new muffler and he feels appreciated he will be less inclined to give you another scare.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #51
james hitchcock

Walter will eventually get a nice new muffler. Neighbors will appreciate the farmer fix for the time being.
james hitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #52
MVal

Once I pulled the carburator as it was leaking and went completelythrough it and checked the float setting. Put it back on and the car barely ran but was able to get home. Pulled it again and went to disassemble it and uh-uh there's the problem--the venturi was laying on the bench! But it did prove that the car will run with a venturi-less carburator, not well but run!
MVal is offline   Reply With Quote