Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-28-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
tomwhi

Default gas tank leak

any product work where bracket rivets to tank without removing tank like epoxy?
tomwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
wrndln

Default Re: gas tank leak

I think anything that might seal the tank, you would need to slosh around and to do that, the tank would probably need to be removed. I think the "sealer" fix would only be temporary anyway. The better way would be to remove the tank and solder around the steering column bracket. Then test it after soldering. Just my opinion.
Rusty Nelson
wrndln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #3
Tom Wesenberg

A heavy soldering copper could solder the tank in place. My Tudor looks like someone soldered the bracket in place, and it doesn't leak. I have also seen ads for a product that will seal it like an epoxy. Might try searching marine places for such a leak stopper.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
ford3

there are no quick fixs for the leak around the riveted bracket, why take a chance on a quick fix, it may start leaking whem the car is parked, if yor car has the bracket attached to the tank and steering coloum use a 31 steering coloum bracket, the one that attches to the coloum and dash, pull tank and have it soldered or brazed, the older style braket that is attached to the tank and coloum are easily and often broke because they are used to help get in car and flex and crack the tank, for that reason no sealer or epoxy will last long, fix it right, you dont want a lap full of gas
ford3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:16 PM   #5
Charles Coe

I had one that leaked so I fixed it with epoxy which lasted for a while. After multiple expoxy fixes, I finally took it off and a radiator shop soldered it for me.
Charles Coe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:18 PM   #6
jkeesey

Permatex makes a gas tank sealant that is applied on the outside. You kneed it together like waterweld and force it in. I used it around the fill neck of my round gas tank with success. My application does not have a constant pressure of fuel on it but it worked for me.
jkeesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
tomwhi

will the 31 steering column bracket work on a 29 coupe?
tomwhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Al 29Tudor

I had the same problem last year on my 29 Tudor. Asking around my MARC club a long time restorer advised me to get some Marine Tex from West Marine or any boating supplier.
Empty the tank and let it dry out, clean all surfaces to the metal, prep it with acetone and apply the Marine Tex.
I also left the screws loose in the clamp because of the design all the chassis vibrations are transmitted to the bracket with the loading of steering. So far - so good.
Al
Al 29Tudor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:38 PM   #9
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwhi View Post
will the 31 steering column bracket work on a 29 coupe?
Yes they do sort of fit. You may need to "adjust" them a bit. I have put them on both my 1929 std coupe and my 1929 huckster. I think if I remember there are two different lengths. The one I put on my huckster fit just right (after an additional hole) but the other one on my coupe, I had to grind down a bit to get it to fit.

PM me if you would like some pictures.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #10
Barry B./ Ma.

I used a gas tank repair kit 7 years ago on that bracket and it hasn't leaked since. I bought it at an auto parts store and it was made by Permatex. the product I used is designed to repair metal gas tanks, they also make a product for plastic tanks, I also have a 31 bracket and the old clamp is disconnected.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
59mgaguy

Heat + Gas fumes+ O2 = trouble

When I worked for a private company refueling A/C for the Navy and Air Force . At the Air Force's school they told us that 1 cup of gasoline was equal to 4 sticks of dynamite.

Take the tank out, have it boiled out, repaired, inside sealed, and repaint the darn thing. In the long run it cheaper, faster, and easier. And a lot safer.
59mgaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 PM   #12
ford3

Barry, the reason your fix is still working is because you put on the 31 bracket, nothing works except welding the tank if you keep using the original 29 bracket, DONT ever mickey mouse a fuel leak, just remember you have have 10 gallons of gas in your lap, quite a bomb
Old 03-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #13
dave in australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al 29Tudor View Post
I also left the screws loose in the clamp because of the design all the chassis vibrations are transmitted to the bracket with the loading of steering. So far - so good.
Al
The rubber strip between the clamp and the column is enough to absorb any vibrations, assuming the rubber is in good condition. There should be no need to leave the screws loose.
dave in australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

'31 bracket how to install
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 AM   #15
c125bob

I agree with the safety comments. Tank removal - repair is a lot of work, expensive and can mean more painting than you would like. A fire is more expensive, more work and even more painting if you are around to do it.
c125bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 AM   #16
Barry B./ Ma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford3 View Post
Barry, the reason your fix is still working is because you put on the 31 bracket, nothing works except welding the tank if you keep using the original 29 bracket, DONT ever mickey mouse a fuel leak, just remember you have have 10 gallons of gas in your lap, quite a bomb
I partially agree ford 3 but the Permatex product works very well. I drained the tank and let the old clamp dry out then removed the paint around the bottom of the clamp with a drill and wire brush then uesd the permatex kit which included a small patch of fiberglass, let it set for a day (sealer comes with an activator), disconnected old clamp and used the 31 clamp. Don't use the old and new clamp together because the vibrations can actually increase. I bought a good 29 tank, sealed it and painted body color but haven't had to install it yet.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:02 PM   #17
ford3

LOL you do what you think is best, a sealer is still a mickey mouse fix, what is your car worth? your life worth? your wifes life worth? your familys life worth, are they worth a days work to repair the tank right? you said you have another good tank, then you should be out in the garage exchanging it for the one that leaks, dont mean to sound like im preaching or giving you a sermon, any thing other than having the tank welded is just a mickey mouse fix, a tragidy waitng to happen, its not if it will fail, just when, the 31 bracket is the only reason it hasnt leaked yet, even then there is a lot of viberation on the fuel tanl, any patch will fail under those cercumstances, put a glass of water on top of the fuel tank with the motor running, it will show you how much the tank is viberating, ok enough, sorry for the long nagging post
Old 03-29-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
Tom Wesenberg

I've heard all these dire warnings about exploding Model A gas tanks, but have yet to see or hear of one that ever exploded, even in bad wrecks. As I mentioned a heavy soldering iron or copper will solder around the flange, as was done to my 29. They also added the dash mount and remove the rubber grommet from the steering bracket When I restore the car I will put it back to the original tank mount. I don't use the steering wheel to pull myself in or out of the front seat. That's one of the first things I learned about Model A's.

I would also trust the epoxy fix. If it should ever fail, then try something else, but I've heard good results with it.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #19
ford3

Tom, whos to say who method is right or better, but im a coward, i never trust a fuel leak to any expoxy or any other quick fix, i either have them brazed or welded, it niether one of those methods is exceptable i get another tank, just me