Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
tintoptexan

Default EF V-8 guy needs 4 cyl help

I hope this is the proper place to ask this. I see a lot of knowlege here and would like to tap it for a problem i'm having. I am working on a 1965 Continental Red Seal 4 cylinder that is on my welding machine. It will only run on full or at least 3/4 choke. When it is excited by striking an arc, the governor pulls it to high RPM and it dies. It has a new Zenith Carb and there are 3 adjustments, idle screw, fuel/air mixture screw and the adjustment at the bottom of the bowl that regulates the fuel from the bowl to the venturi, (Forgot the name). Compresion checked out at 55 to 60 psi with no more than 5 psi difference between cylinders. I have not done a leak down test yet but plan on it to see if maybe there is not enough vacuum to pull the fuel up through the updraft carb. If anyone has any thoughts they would like to share, I would sure appreciate them. Thanks, and have a great day. Joe
Old 03-05-2012, 09:16 AM   #2
Bruce in southern OH

Default Re: EF V-8 guy needs 4 cyl help

First remove the air cleaner, I have had stationary motors the air cleaner was the restriction, next the fuel filter, if it has one remove and run with out the fuel filter, new gas eats them up and they stop up easy. The Carb is simple, remove from engine and separate parts and clean, reassemble. Check the gasket and replace between intake and carb. Let us know, sure someone else will give advice. One step at a time, Bruce
Bruce in southern OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
MAG

The problem could be a leaking manifold and or carburetor gasket. With the engine running, spray some WD40 around the manifold and carburetor area to see if there is any change in the way the engine runs. If a change is noted a leak is in that area. New gaskets may correct the problem
Old 03-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Keith True

It sounds like you have a Lincoln SA200 welder.If they don't get a lot of use the fuel systems plug up easily.They are gravity feed,so it doesn't take much to plug them.First,the outlet out of the tank plugs easily,then the screen in the top of the bowl.Some had a finger screen sticking up in the tank so you have to take the bowl assembly off to check it.Where the line runs horizontally the fuel will lay in there and turn to gum too.Then the carb itself gums up.When it does there is no other option than to take it off and clean it.No spraying it,or clapping your hand over it when running,it HAS to come apart to get all the passages reamed out.There is no fuel pump to help push the mung through,or pull it through.I took the line off mine and thought I had a good stream coming through it,but it was nothing compared to what it was like after I removed and cleaned everything.Then again,when the points in the mag get dirty or corroded the engine will idle all day,but will fall flat when you ask it to do something.
Keith True is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:40 AM   #5
Kurt in NJ

If it runs on a lot of choke try opening the main fuel adjustment on the bottom --
Kurt in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
tintoptexan

Thanks guys for all the comments. They were very helpful. It was definately a lack of fuel issue. It's a little better now thay I cleaned the high speed idle circut of the carb and cleaned the thank out. Thanks again. Joe