Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2017, 09:58 AM   #1
Bob Bidonde

Default Washing A Model "A"

It is not a good idea to use a garden hose on an original / restored Model "A" Ford because the doors and windows are not sealed well enough to prevent water damage to the interior upholstery. Even windlaces on & around the doors have a cloth upholstery covering that is prone to water staining.

To prevent water intrusion into the car, I use a spray bottle of water and a spray bottle of Turtle Wax Wax & Dry to wet the exterior paint surfaces one panel / fender at a time. I wipe this mixture off with microfiber towels. The resulting shine is excellent. I prefer the Turtle Wax because it does not leave a white film behind on the roofing material and running boards.

When it comes to cleaning the wheels, this is where I do use a garden hose, a soap such as Dawn or Simple Green, a terry cloth wash rag and a brush. To do a good job, it is convenient to jack each off of the ground.

I haven't found a durable product for use on the running boards. What do you use?

Both of my Model "A" Fords are closed cars, so I have no idea how to clean the top of an open car.

What is your technique for washing the exterior of your Model "A"?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 190A Insurance Photo (a).jpg (78.7 KB, 76 views)