Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #1
hotrodcbx

Default Oil system mods??

Going through all my documentation I have for my '33 and '34 Fords I came across a article on oil system modifications. Just curious if anyone has heard of it? I cannot recall where I sourced it, hey I'm an old guy... Here goes..

1/ Convert the oil system to full pressure filtering using the drilling of the oil gallery and blocking the two sides, one line to filter and one line return. It goes into great detail on this and I'm sure many are familiar with it so I won't go into the details.

2/ Enlarge the vertical 1/4" front main bearing oil hole to 5/16" using a long drill bit.

/3 Enlarge the vertical 5/16" center main bearing oil hole to 3/8".

4/ Enlarge drilled passageway connecting the block oil pump cavity and rear main bearing saddle to 3/8"..

Any one heard of this and does it have any merit???
hotrodcbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:31 PM   #2
supereal

Default Re: Oil system mods??

These engines have run decades with the stock system. Tampering with the original system can, and will, interfere with the longevity of the engine. Unless the engine is being used in racing, or other non usual capacity, it hardly merits the modification. I'm an old guy (85) too, with most of those years spent with a wrench in my hand.
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 03:38 PM   #3
tubman

Default Re: Oil system mods??

I totally agree, but then, I'm just a youngster of 77. I am of the opinion that on a stock engine the way most of these are used and (over) maintained, the original system with the bypass filter is actually superior to any full flow system that can be used. It simply is able filter out smaller particles from the oil than a full flow system by it's very nature.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote