Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
Michael_e

Default 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupe Qeustion

Did 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupes come from the factory with a front anti-sway bar?

And if No, when did the Ford factory start installing front anti-sway bars either as standard equipment or offer them as an option?
Michael_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:19 PM   #2
Ken/Alabama

Default Re: 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupe Qeustion

Think it started in 40.
Ken/Alabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 05:23 PM   #3
adileo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken/Alabama View Post
Think it started in 40.

Ken is correct. Started 1940
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #4
PeterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_e View Post
Did 1939 Ford Deluxe Coupes come from the factory with a front anti-sway bar?

And if No, when did the Ford factory start installing front anti-sway bars either as standard equipment or offer them as an option?
While they started in 1940 - I installed one on my 39 and like the result - fairly easy install for sure.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
adileo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterC View Post
While they started in 1940 - I installed one on my 39 and like the result - fairly easy install for sure.
You use a 40 sway bar? I tried one from ECI and it didn't clear lower radiator hose.
adileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
PeterC

Quote:
Originally Posted by adileo View Post
You use a 40 sway bar? I tried one from ECI and it didn't clear lower radiator hose.
Yes - I used a stock 40 Ford sway bar set up and as Cube said in his post ... excellent result just as if a factory install.
PeterC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 07:11 PM   #7
Kube

1940 was the first year Ford installed them as standard equipment on the Deluxe models. I have installed the '40 assembly to a couple of '39 Fords for clients and they have been extremely pleased.
Old 03-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
Michael_e

Kube/Peter, Do either of you have any pictures of your installations? Was the sway bar assembly installed on a stock 1939 frontend assembly?

I have a 1939 Deluxe Coupe that has a dropped front axle and it looks like a 1941 sway bar assembly was installed. I don't think it was done correctly. It looks like the previous owner, possibly with help from friends did the install.

It looks like the shackle for the sway bar end was welded to the top of the wishbone perch pin. And the thru bolt for the shackle is up tight to the side of the dropped axle.
The steering/ride handling is harsh and has almost a little buckboard wagon feel to it. It also has tube shocks which may be the wrong length or pressure.

I tried to get pictures but they came out real dark and was unable to see any detail.

What is everyone's thoughts?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-01-2017, 11:39 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Kube/Peter, Do either of you have any pictures of your installations? Was the sway bar assembly installed on a stock 1939 frontend assembly?

I have a 1939 Deluxe Coupe that has a dropped front axle and it looks like a 1941 sway bar assembly was installed. I don't think it was done correctly. It looks like the previous owner, possibly with help from friends did the install.

It looks like the shackle for the sway bar end was welded to the top of the wishbone perch pin. And the thru bolt for the shackle is up tight to the side of the dropped axle.
The steering/ride handling is harsh and has almost a little buckboard wagon feel to it. It also has tube shocks which may be the wrong length or pressure.

I tried to get pictures but they came out real dark and was unable to see any detail.

Thanks,
Mike
I do not have any photos of the installations. However, it is identical to the 1940 installation. Utilizing the 1940 perch bolts and respective sway bar, brackets, etc. this is a "bolt in" installation. NO welding is required.
The '41 sway bar, while similar to the '40, is not identical. The brackets are much different.
I'd suggest finding the appropriate '40 parts. The perch bolts will be perhaps the toughest to locate but they do show up fairly frequently on eBay. The bar and brackets are often found there as well. I'd suggest purchasing reproduction swivels. Typical prices for NOS perch bolts is aroun=d $125 - $150 for the pair. The sway bars are common and as such demand little, around $25 or so. Guys asking for more are dreaming.

A nice sway bar with good swivels just sold for $61 on eBay.
Item number:232241555444

Currently there are NOS perch bolts listed as well.

Last edited by Kube; 03-01-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Kube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:51 PM   #10
V8COOPMAN

Quote:

Thanks,
Mike
Mike...A '40 assembly!

The bar and set-up below is 1940. The shock is NOT Ford.

'40 Bracket

'40 Pins

'40 In a Nutshell!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE

Last edited by V8COOPMAN; 03-01-2017 at 02:02 PM.
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:20 PM   #11
Michael_e

THANKS V8COOPMAN! Those pictures answered a lot of my questions. Everything except for the perch pins looks identical to what I currently have installed. I'm now thinking that when the previous owner installed the dropped axle, he also installed the sway bar and used the flat top perch pins that were stock on the original axle. I'm thinking all I need to find is a set of correct perch pins. So, now i'm on the hunt. If anyone reading this thread has a set of perch pins for a 1940 Ford with a sway bar setup, contact me please.
Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-03-2017, 09:04 AM   #12
Michael_e

Thanks to all who responded. I have found the correct perch pins for my application. I will try and follow up with comments after installation.
Mike