Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #1
STAN WHITE

Default 34 ford using WIRING

I would like to use original style wiring harness. Using a 12 volt power alt/gen neg ground.
I have the starter solonoid mounted on firewall, solnoid is three pole. my question is where does the single wire from alt/gen go?. I know very little about electrical. any help will be appreciated! Thanks Stan
STAN WHITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:28 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: 34 ford using WIRING

Assuming your going to a later generator (or alternator) for the 12v, it would connect to the B terminal of the voltage regulator for a generator. On an alternator with internal voltage regulator, it would connect to the power out terminal on the alternator.

This all assumes you are referring to the original wire in the wiring harness that connected to the cutout on the generator.

It is a little confusing, are you using an alternator or a generator? It makes a difference because most generators have an external voltage regulator and the alternators have an internal voltage regulator. Ether way, the wire from your new voltage generator source connects to a common point with the power from the battery. The battery wire should go to the ammeter and then the other side of the ammeter would connect to the generator or alternator. The ammeter is showing power going to or from the battery.

Last edited by JSeery; 08-10-2020 at 05:35 PM.
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 06:00 PM   #3
STAN WHITE

J The power gen/alt is from the looks of it , its a generator but the fact is its an Alternator with built in regulator. Thanks for your reply. Stan
Old 08-10-2020, 06:10 PM   #4
JSeery
Member Emeritus

If you look at the original 34 wiring diagram, the alternator wire will be the same as the one that goes between the ammeter and the outout, the YB wire. The heavy battery cable that goes to the floor mounted push-start switch and the Y wire from the switch to the ammeter would be routed from the battery to the power side post on the firewall mounted starter solenoid and the Y wire from the solenoid to the ammeter.

Update: for some reason I originally attached a 32 wiring diagram and then took off on that tangent! Go figure. So, I am updating to post to correct all of this.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1934.jpg (78.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 08-11-2020 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:38 PM   #5
STAN WHITE

J I am using stewart warner new winged gages. They are mechanicle as far as temp& oil pressure. Gas gage & amp are electricle. Thanks Stan
Old 08-10-2020, 07:00 PM   #6
TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAN WHITE View Post
J I am using stewart warner new winged gages. They are mechanical as far as temp& oil pressure. Gas gage & amp are electricle. Thanks Stan
If you are using the new winged gauges I suspect you do not have an amp meter. You probably have a volt meter. The face of the gauge will tell you what you have.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Ya, if you are going none stock it would really be best to go voltmeter vs ammeter. They wire up a little different, but we can help you with that. A voltmeter is much safer.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:49 PM   #8
STAN WHITE

J your are correct , Face reads 10-12-14-16 Volts. I sure do appreciate your help. I hope I can copy this info so that I wont forget it. PS You have been very helpfull. Thanks again Stan. I worked as a ( Machinest not up on Electrical stuff)
Old 08-10-2020, 09:15 PM   #9
JSeery
Member Emeritus

edited to remove incorrect information.

I attached a diagram I drew up for a 39. 39s still used a fuse, in 40 they switched to a circuit breaker. I can draw you up a diagram for your setup if you want.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 Ford Wiring.jpg (56.0 KB, 27 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 08-11-2020 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #10
STAN WHITE

J First off I appreciate your help. First off I think I should tell you about my project. I am an older man and always loved cars. My favorite was the 34 ford Three Window but could never find a nice original. I started looking in the late fifties. In the late sixties I met a person that had a black 34 three window, original no modifacations. He said tht he would call me if he was going to part with it. In 1986 he called like he said he would and I purchased the car, I have had the car since then but could not get to it. I started on it about ten months ago. I hope to get it finished by april/may this next year. When you get older it take a little longer than when you were younger. I seem to make silly mistakes which is frustrating. The car has original black paint and some of the stripe still exist. I want to do it early fifties style as I remembered they were when I was Thirteen/fourteen. I am doing the car with a 59AB engine 1/4X 5/16 L block 39 Trans With 3.54 gears with 39 Lincoln brakes ,droped axel 16 kelsey hayes wheels. J for the rest of the story I am doing the following. Battery located in the trunk want to add a power on/off switch in the floor just ahead of seat cushin. I would also like to add turn signals using cowl lites. Yes I would like you to do a drawing but I would need to do something in return. I have some flathead stuff I had a machine shop B4 I retired and made some stromberg air cleaners. Never did market them, I think they are very nice. Thanks for your help. Stan
Old 08-10-2020, 11:27 PM   #11
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Well, first I need to my head screwed on straight! For some reason I was thinking 32! LOL. I went back and edited out the errors.

Last edited by JSeery; 08-11-2020 at 11:33 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #12
TJ

Stan, just curious ,but why would you want to use a stock wire harness when you have already changed gauges, moving the battery, etc. From a personal point of view you could use a universal panel and wire from Kwik-Wire or American Auto Wire(use the smaller panel such as an 8 fuse panel) and they come with complete instructions. If you take your time you can do it yourself and you will have more circuits fused rather than the single fuse with the stock harness. I like what you are doing, but think using a stock harness may be a waste of time and money.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:11 AM   #13
STAN WHITE

I guess I am trying to keep the car as original as possible. I wanted to maintain the stock steering wheel with the lights control and horn. I guess I have not always done what is practical that is just me. I have a vision of what I want the car to be. And it does create problems, wheels for instance solids you can buy new with correct offsets , easy deal. but I wanted kelseys . A big problem to find good ones. {not easy) but that is the look I wanted. Bottom line is that I am trying to do a car from the early fifties. I am trying to keep it as original as possible. Its not easy! Thanks again for your help. Stan
Old 08-11-2020, 11:22 AM   #14
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Stan, you are doing something similar to what I like to do. I build my own harnesses (and about everything else for that matter, LOL), but try to keep them as original in appearance as possible. What you are talking about is fairly easy to do, it will require a few additional wires to extend the existing wires in a few places and to add any additional functions. And, you can use original style later year parts to modify / update some features.

A few years ago I had a thread going on fabricating a harness with original appearing wiring and caught no end of grief about not purchasing a ready made harness! I prefer to fabricate as much as I can myself and I'm picky about the results / look. The only way to get there IMO is to do it yourself.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #15
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Now, lets reset here with a 34 wiring diagram!!! BTW, a 34 harness will be much easier to work with. It already has the fuse block and loop ammeter (not that the ammeter matters with your replacement of a voltmeter). The Y wire is already connected to the power in side of the fuse block. The other end just needs to be moved from the floor starter to the firewall starter solenoid hot side. With a trunk mounted battery (something I do in a lot of vehicles) you need to be sure you have a high quality large gauge wire from the battery to the starter solenoid.

Most of the rest of the wiring should be good to go. The addition of turn signals is not that difficult.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wirediagram1933-34car.jpg (77.1 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Flathead_Electrical_wiring1934.jpg (78.9 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by JSeery; 08-11-2020 at 11:40 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:51 AM   #16
JSeery
Member Emeritus

The 6v starter solenoids will work on 12v, but there have been reports of problems with this. I would suggest a 12v solenoid from the get-go. This is the part number for a 12v that is wired similar to the original 6v.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starter Relay 12V.jpg (35.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg Starter Sol 24060_front.jpg (12.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Starter Sol 24060_side.jpg (14.2 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Starter Sol 24060_top.jpg (14.3 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Starter Sol Diagram.jpg (5.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Starter Sol 24060_lg 12V.jpg (13.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:09 PM   #17
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Here is a 35 drawing I did and modified to match what you are doing, should work for a starting point.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 36 Ford Dash Wiring (Modified).jpg (41.4 KB, 10 views)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:34 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Tail light wiring. (The color coding depends on the make of the turn signals)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turn Signal Wiring.jpg (53.2 KB, 11 views)
Old 08-11-2020, 03:36 PM   #19
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Another issue is the coil, if you are going to retain the original coil it needs to be rewound for 12v negative ground. Skip can rewind your coil.
Old 08-12-2020, 12:40 PM   #20
STAN WHITE

J, It looks like you can help me. I wish I could talk to you on the Phone, as I have many questions. I thought I should put something on paper in regards to what I want to do. I do not know how to get it to you. I am not much on computers. Also would like to send photos of my project but don't know how. as that would explain what my goals are. PS I would like to know how I can reinburse you for your time. Stan